Regarding final payment date

I am on the same cruise. Mine is June 13. :confused:

Booked directly with Royal.

For quite some time after the roll out of the 90 day final payment policy (March 2016), a number of bookings still had the 75 day payment deadline - yours must have been one of them.

We would have canceled ourselves if they hadn't been able to accommodate that; we don't find vacation worth carrying debt.

Given that you were still 75 days out wouldn't you have already gone through the billing cycles to have it paid off before your vacation? With your plan I just don't see how you would have had debt by the time of the trip.

And if not and you had to carry a balance for one month, is the interest of maybe $30 really that ghastly as a convenience fee?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Given that you were still 75 days out wouldn't you have already gone through the billing cycles to have it paid off before your vacation? With your plan I just don't see how you would have had debt by the time of the trip.

And if not and you had to carry a balance for one month, is the interest of maybe $30 really that ghastly as a convenience fee?

Let me see if I can clarify...

We booked the trip around 100 or so days prior to sail date; I don't recall the exact number. I had been all over the RC website and read that final payment was due 75 days prior; this would have had the deposit due on one month's cycle, and the final payment due on the next month's cycle.

We'd just paid my son's college semester bill, and our property taxes, so wanted these 2 payments to be due different months.

It was near the end of the cycle, so booking mid-Jan meant deposit paid on cc to RC mid-Jan, but bill to cc due late Feb; paying final payment on the cc mid Feb would *also* be due late Feb....so both/total amount all due at once (that would have been the 90 day mark).

By asking RC to honor their website, which still said 75 days, not 90, it bumped it so the date the final half was due to them wasn't until past the cut-off date for our cc, so paid to RC late Feb, not due to our cc until late March, vs. all of it due to the cc at once at the end of Feb.

Since we pay off our cc bill, this mattered to us, and if they hadn't been able to honor the information on their website, we wouldn't have gone (we arranged all of this at the time we booked, we did not call them up at the 90 day mark and beg for leniency).

This also then allowed that other upcoming expenses (annual home insurance payment, excursions/tips, etc.) would yet again be on a different bill than the cruise payment.

I hope this makes sense and satisfies all those inexplicably fascinated with our finances....I only ever chimed in to 1, reassure the OP that yes, if RCI said the date had been changed in his file, it really had been, and then 2, to explain to Biker why yes, sometimes, 1 week difference does matter....because one week to RC is 1 month to the cc.

signed, Texan, who hopes we can put this discussion to bed already...

And that was a good plan, but it depended on RCI leniency.

Biker, who never buys anything unless he can pay for it in cash right then and there.

Right, but as I said, we ourselves would have canceled/not booked if they'd been unwilling to honor the information on their website. I didn't call them up 90 days out and beg them to change it, I asked before we paid our deposits, the agent on the phone looked it up himself, saw the info on the website, and made the notes right then.

*we were booking within the "deposit due" timeframe, so this was all done at time of original booking, not a later phone call

If he'd said no, no problem, we would not have gone. Because we also don't buy things we can't pay for, or have a plan for paying for.....

I don't mean to cause any animosity here. In our case it was a last minute decision and yes, the funds are only available in a week. Sure, some could say that we have our priorities wrong, and that is ok. We have actually been reserving one cabin at a time, because we are not rich but we wish to all travel together. It's a first time experience for each of is. And not that it should matter, but for one in our party, this is a 'make a wish' deal so the rest of us are trying our best to be a part of this journey.