Regarding final payment date

When we booked a cabin on Oasis of the Seas the travel agent made an error with the final due date, saying that it would be June 1st. During the confirmation she said that the due date was May 22. When we questioned her about the date discrepancy she realized the error and put us on hold to speak to a supervisor. She came back to tell us that it was a system error and that they would honour the final payment due date of June 1st. When we received the confirmation by email, the due date was written for May 22. Unfortunately our agent has been out of the office all day today so we are unable to question the due date on the confirmation letter. I'm hoping that it's just a form letter and that our actual due date has been taken into consideration but I'm still worried. Has anyone else had issues with due dates ? I'm I at risk for losing the deposit ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since it's May 22 today, I would try to contact someone else in the travel agency and failing that, call Royal and see if they can help. You don't want your cruise to be cancelled for non-payment.

This should be fairly simple - final payment should be 90 days out (assuming a sailing 6 days or longer and booked after March 2016).The June 1 date might be RCI's date (the one that really counts) and today could be the TA's date.

A lot of travel agents and online travel sites require it to be paid before the 90 days by royal. Ours is. Always about 100 days out and always in our contract with that date

The cruise is Aug 20th and we only booked it on this past weekend. The June 1st date sounded legit; the agent at Royal Caribbean even said that all calls were recorded and that's why they are honouring the date. We called earlier today but never reached anyone. We can try again. Thanks.

When you say agent, do you mean a Royal Caribbean employee or an independent travel agent? I would pay it today to be sure.

Even if they say they'll honor it, if the system cancels you automatically and someone else snaps up your cabin, they may not have anything else to offer you and you'll be fighting them for days to get it taken care of.

We reserved directly with Royal Caribbean

Then I'd call them and make final payment immediately. They are open 24 hours. Choose the option to book a new cruise and then you will get a live operator.

We actually had this exact issue -- in one place on their website (RCI) it still says 75 days prior to sail date, in other places it's been updated to 90 days.

When I called to confirm, because I had seen the 75 days and we wanted it that way to be on the next billing cycle of our card (we pay off each month), they honored it BUT told us that the email we would get, all documents, etc. would still have the "official" (earlier) date yet our reservation when pulled up would show the corrected (later) date.

I called back as the date approached (the early date) just to triple check, and was assured we would not be cancelled for it since we'd paid the deposit and all, yes it was fine in the system, etc. I was told that they have to manually cancel, it's not automatic, so anyone who did pull up our reservation would see our corrected date and we would be fine.

We paid by the later date, as the RCI rep had promised we could, and all was totally fine, no issues. If it was direct with them, they'll have noted it and you should be okay.

We actually had this exact issue -- in one place on their website (RCI) it still says 75 days prior to sail date, in other places it's been updated to 90 days.

When I called to confirm, because I had seen the 75 days and we wanted it that way to be on the next billing cycle of our card (we pay off each month), they honored it BUT told us that the email we would get, all documents, etc. would still have the "official" (earlier) date yet our reservation when pulled up would show the corrected (later) date.

I called back as the date approached (the early date) just to triple check, and was assured we would not be cancelled for it since we'd paid the deposit and all, yes it was fine in the system, etc. I was told that they have to manually cancel, it's not automatic, so anyone who did pull up our reservation would see our corrected date and we would be fine.

We paid by the later date, as the RCI rep had promised we could, and all was totally fine, no issues. If it was direct with them, they'll have noted it and you should be okay.

Thanks for sharing your experience, and giving me a piece of mind. I waited all day, on pins and needles, and finally got a call back saying that everything was fine and the later date was legit :)

My TA gave me the date I had to pay for my cruise. I actually make payments but anyway, the final due date was coming and she called me to remind me to pay the last amount on that date. When the date came I sent her an e-mail to pay it off but no response. I called the next day and she was out sick. I asked if someone needed to take my final payment since it was the due date and they told me I did not. My TA got back the next week, made the final payment and all was just fine!

You went through all of this to put off payment for a week?:confused:

I get it; we did the same. We pay off our credit card monthly, so wanted the 2 halves of the payment on different billing cycles so they would be due in different months. Depending on the price of the cruise, that's a big chunk of change if you don't carry a balance on your card.

I have a separate Acct just for cruises and keep regular deposits in it. Depending on the total amount owed on a cruise after deposit, I might split into 2 payments.Any charges toward the cruise and cruise expenses are paid from that acct and I also keep a spreadsheet showing all expenses for trips.

^ so you'd rather be stressed out and potentially have your cruise cancelled rather than make other payment arrangements?

Well, in our case we weren't stressed out, the agent with Royal Caribbean assured us it was fine (I actually had him look at their own website which at the time still showed 75 days vs 90 days as final payment date, and in fact he gifted us a bottle of wine & cheese/fruit tray on embarkation.....), but yes, it was a deal breaker for us. We would have canceled ourselves if they hadn't been able to accommodate that; we don't find vacation worth carrying debt.

We would have canceled ourselves if they hadn't been able to accommodate that; we don't find vacation worth carrying debt.

That's a very good rule that every one should follow, but if one's ability to pay for something depends on a billing cycle perhaps a bit more financial planning is in order.

That's a very good rule that every one should follow, but if one's ability to pay for something depends on a billing cycle perhaps a bit more financial planning is in order.

One man's opinion. Are you telling me you have the funds each & every month to pay in full for a 7-night cruise for a family of five, in one single payment? On top of your regular expenses, and without carrying any debt?

This wasn't a case of poor planning, just last minute booking where we (reasonably) wanted to pay in 2 payments, half of the cruise in one month, half in the next.

This wasn't a case of poor planning, just last minute booking where we (reasonably) wanted to pay in 2 payments, half of the cruise in one month, half in the next.

And that was a good plan, but it depended on RCI leniency.

Biker, who never buys anything unless he can pay for it in cash right then and there.