Will I have time to climb Coba pyramid & do beach break in Cozumel???

We will be in Cozumel 8-7:00 on our July 2 cruise aboard Allure. I really want to climb Coba pyramid because I read that you won't be able to climb it soon and it seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity. The rest of my family isn't interested in doing this and wants to do a beach trip instead. My bf and I were hoping to hit up the pyramids then meet up with my family at Mr. Sancho's beach club.

Based on my research it seems that it's about an hour trip from cruise ship to Coba. Not sure if we will have time to do both beach and pyramids. I don't want to spend too much time traveling.

Does anyone have any tips for me? If I do Coba, should we just take a taxi over and hire a private guide? Not sure how to go about it? Thanks in advance!:)

I think your timing is off. First of all, Coba is in Mexico and the ship docks at the island of Cozumel. So the first thing you will need to do is take a ferry across from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen, Mexico. The crossing itself takes about 30 minutes or longer and if you need to get to town to the ferry terminal you will need to add another 20 minutes+ from disembarkation from the ship to arrival at the pier. There may be a ferry from the pier across from Allure but I'm not sure of that.

From Playa del Carmen to Coba is more like an hour and a half. So from ship to Coba is probably closer to two and a half hours - or more - each way. Add whatever time you plan to stay there and the answer would IMO be no, I don't think you can do both. And if you do Coba independently (as I don't think there is a ship sponsored tour there) you are on your own in terms of getting there and back in time to make sail away. I would be very sure of the ferry schedule and availability of reliable transportation in Play del Carmen to determine how feasible this would be.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You're welcome. If you want to see and climb a pyramid, there are ship sponsored tours that will provide the necessary transportation to and from the ship. As much as we typically do our sightseeing on our own, given the distance and complexity of travel there I would definitely recommend doing this through the ship.

Or just have a nice beach day. Or maybe try the Cozumel Bar Hop at the following link. Its a lot of fun to the undeveloped and quite beautiful back side of Cozumel.

http://cozumelbarhop.com/

Whatever you do, enjoy your cruise!

We did Coba through the ship, so it is available if not sold out, however, when were there in December, we were told that they were closing the pyramid to climbing shortly after the first of the year. Our guide could have been mistaken, or it may not have happened yet, but if you're wanting to climb, check into it before you book.

We did Coba through the ship, so it is available if not sold out, however, when were there in December, we were told that they were closing the pyramid to climbing shortly after the first of the year. Our guide could have been mistaken, or it may not have happened yet, but if you're wanting to climb, check into it before you book.

Was that solid? I went in 2010, and they told me that they were closing the pyramids to climbers "soon". I went in 2014, and climbed the pyramids and they told me the same thing.

Nonetheless, the answer to the OP is probably not. If you have 10 hours, you have enough time for the ship sponsored excursion to Coba. We had 9 hours in 2014 (but 11 in 2010) and in 2014, the trip felt very rushed. In 2010, timing was perfect, but we didn't really have time to do anything else and we were one of the last sponsored excursions to return. Keep in mind that to get to the central pyramid, its a good 1.5 mile hike into the jungle. They do have foot taxis, but the expectation for the tour is for people to walk it.

Was that solid? I went in 2010, and they told me that they were closing the pyramids to climbers "soon". I went in 2014, and climbed the pyramids and they told me the same thing.

Nonetheless, the answer to the OP is probably not. If you have 10 hours, you have enough time for the ship sponsored excursion to Coba. We had 9 hours in 2014 (but 11 in 2010) and in 2014, the trip felt very rushed. In 2010, timing was perfect, but we didn't really have time to do anything else and we were one of the last sponsored excursions to return. Keep in mind that to get to the central pyramid, its a good 1.5 mile hike into the jungle. They do have foot taxis, but the expectation for the tour is for people to walk it.

I only know what they told us. They could have been wrong, or they just haven't officially closed it yet. It was an awesome experience, and an amazing view though. If it's still possible, I highly recommend.

I don't remember how long we had budgeted in port, but with the excursion, we still had about an hour to walk around the port area and do some shopping. Getting back on the ship was easy, and we still had time before the ship left.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're welcome. If you want to see and climb a pyramid, there are ship sponsored tours that will provide the necessary transportation to and from the ship. As much as we typically do our sightseeing on our own, given the distance and complexity of travel there I would definitely recommend doing this through the ship.

Or just have a nice beach day. Or maybe try the Cozumel Bar Hop at the following link. Its a lot of fun to the undeveloped and quite beautiful back side of Cozumel.

http://cozumelbarhop.com/

Whatever you do, enjoy your cruise!

Note my comments above and take a look at the Cozumel Bar Hop to see if that might be of interest.

Can teens do Bar Hop?

Nope. I checked the FAQs. Over 18 only. But I will email and see if maybe they do a family tour

Actually 18 is the minimum age, not over 18. As for a private tour hire a cab for you family - on a per person basis it would be cheaper and more personally tailored to what yo want to see. The CBH is intended as a drinking (and eating) tour, which is the main part of the fee.

There is a RC excursion to Coba from Cozumel. Says it's 8 hours. Says you get to climb. Includes a cenote swim. Doesn't seem like you'd have a lot of time at site if travel to/from is 2-2.5 hrs. Let us know if you go and how it goes. Enjoy your trip.