Carnival Cruise Toilets

ble373

Hello, I just booked my first cruise with my partner who has a medical condition which causes her to maintain weight. (Yes, Diagnosed by a doctor, it has to do with her hormone levels having to much testosterone). Anyway she is 440lbs. She is trying to lose weight, but with her condition it is an extremely hard and slow process. Has anyone of this weight been on a Carnival Cruise? If so can the toilets easily support the weight. You can PM me if you want. Just need advice. She is crushed and no longer wants to go. Thanks so much.

People of all sizes Cruise.

Here's a few threads for her to look thru--

bigger passenger

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1218007

Plus Size Swim Suits

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2328705

Plus size cruiser wants to look nice

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2388432

Carnival Special Needs -the website has ship maps, look for the larger public bathroom stalls. If need be she can do the Special Needs Muster

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/dietary-needs.aspx

Search is working right now, I used Fluffy, plus, larger and bigger.

Edited by SadieN

Not a readily available specification, but I did look at the Evac marine toilet site (the manufacturer of a majority of shipboard vacuum toilet systems), and their toilets are designed for the 500-600lb weight limit, even the wall mounted ones.

I'm not trying to be cruel, but I have had experience dealing with passengers of this size, and there may be some things to think about other than the toilet.

Door size: I would suggest getting an accessible cabin, as the cabin door and the bathroom door will be wider. Balcony doors on some ships tend to be narrow as well.

Shower: these tend to be tiny, so the larger shower in an accessible cabin may be better suited.

Beds: I would suggest contacting the cruise line's special needs department and informing them of your partner's condition. The bed frames are fairly flimsy, and a special bed frame, or reinforcing of the existing frame may be required.

Never fear!! She will be fine. DH is around 475 (and for you critics out there, he is having bariatric surgery this summer) and has been fine on all of our cruises. There have been no issues with the toilets and beds. If she finds that the shower is a little small, just remember that those bathrooms are designed to get wet. On our first cruise DH left the shower curtain partially open. Also, as I understand it, the showers in the spa/gym area are much larger, if she feels she requires more space.

Does you friend have mobility issues? If so, those will be exacerbated by being on a ship (read: moving form of transportation). She should be prepared for those challenges as well.

She'll have no problems with the toilets.

In the dining room she can also request a chair with no arms that will be much more comfortable for her.

The showrooms on Carnival tend to have bench seating so no problem if she needs a seat and a half.

She may want to consider attending the special needs muster if there would be any issues in an emergency (i.e. needing help down the stairs) so Carnival can be aware.

Speaking as a very plus sized woman myself - cruising is one of the easiest vacations I have taken. No reason for her to feel awkward or out of place. She'll have a blast.

And I do want to give her a website if she's looking for some nice cruise clothes (or a swimsuit). I'm not affiliated with it at all, I do order some of my stuff from them as well as my mother's clothes (she's plus sized and in a wheelchair so it's tougher to find stuff that won't ride up or create lumps while she's sitting).

http://www.sanctuarie.com/index.html Most of their clothes - including swimsuits - go up to 9x. They also have some nice fancier dresses - she may want to pick one out for Elegant night! :)

I would suggest booking an accessible cabin (for the wider doorway and the larger shower) and renting either a bariatric scooter or powerchair for her. She will find moving about the ship a lot easier (these things run to over a 1,000ft long!). Contact Customer Service, too, and ask about help with boarding, disembarking, and the special needs muster.

My mother is overly large (about 350lbs), and she has sailed Carnival and NCL. Both are very accommodating.

My mother was also a large plus sized woman in her 70's with double knee replacement and had zero issues cruising. She traveled with a cane for walking assistance and took breaks when walking longer distances. Study the deck plans and learn which decks - promenade and lido for example - offer seating for resting along the way.

So, to your partner - take the cruise! You will have a wonderful time. Sun and sea air are healthy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tell your friend to take the cruise. She will love it. I used to cruise at 425 pounds and never had any problems (I have since lost 185 pounds), I used to worry about the toilets in the cabin too because they were wall mounted, but it worked out fine for me. No problem with the beds either. You do a lot of walking on a cruise, so if possible get an accessible cabin and rent a scooter. Then go on the cruise and have a great time.

Good question. Thank you for asking. We are set to go in our first cruise in August. I'm a big boy myself. 6'4" and 355#. My arse fits in a plane seat but my shoulders take up 1.5 seats. I turn sideways to go in and out of the interior doors of my home. But my weight was something I was wondering about concerning the facilities.