Plus size cruiser wants to look nice

trp1128

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise in April and I've been searching the Internet for good cruise wear but I notice the blogs/articles are generally geared towards smaller cruisers and just not practical for plus size women. What kind of clothing would be best for a plus size cruiser? I'm looking for comfort and practical clothing, I don't want to be worrying about wedgies or wardrobe malfunctions all day. What stores/sites does everyone recommend? I'm 26 and looking for stylish but practical cruise wear (and I don't wear heels, I'm 5'2 and I've accepted that lol). TIA!

Wow can't believe I forgot to add that! Lol It's been a long day! We are doing a 12 night cruise in the Caribbean on Royal. We do a lot of activities- snorkeling, zip-lining, ATV tour, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not sure what you consider impractical, but Royal Caribbean in the Caribbean is casual to smart casual, with some formal nights, and fairly easy to dress for at any size. You can pretty much wear whatever makes you comfortable (within reason).

Here is what Royal says about the dress code, my personal preferences are below: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

For day: sun dresses or maxi dresses. I prefer some flat sandals for daytime around the ship. If they look nice enough, you can wear them in the main dining room. You can wear jeans during the day too. I will do a cropped pant and a breezy blouse, but you can do a full-length trouser and top of choice too. Linen is cool, but wrinkly. Think resort wear on the ship. For excursions, I tend to bring a closed toe sneaker (my Chuck Taylors may not be fancy, but they're all-terrain), or sandals if I'm not doing much walking.

In the evening, I bring 1 or 2 dresses. For 12-day, I would personally bring at least 2, one being black or other neutral color you can accessorize to dress up for the formal nights. You can also do nice trousers and blouses, if you prefer. For non-formal nights, I will wear a sun dress, then wear it again during the day later on in the cruise.

Bring 2 swimsuits. I like 2-piece tankinis. There's also swim shorts, depending on how much skin you're comfortable showing. No one else will really care what you're wearing. Dry 1 suit overnight (you can roll it in a towel and walk on it to get most of the moisture out), hang it to dry, and wear the other one.

If you are comfortable in maxi dresses, I cannot recommend them enough. Get something with a skirt that isn't too full and you'll survive the wind at sea without any sort of wardrobe malfunctions.

Another tip that I can't get enough of: bring half the clothes and twice the cash that you think you need to. You can usually wear things more than once. I'm a sweaty person and can wear a top twice and any sort of bottoms 3 or 4 times in the Caribbean. You're usually going to only wear things for part of the day anyway.

As for where to find these things: I would start looking now until the end of summer (when they're bringing in autumn stuff so you can get sales on summer stuff) at your favorite retailer. Sizing varies wildly even amongst the same brand, so if you can go to a physical location, that's even better. Otherwise, check return policies if you buy online. Ideally you would want free returns. I like buying online at modcloth because they have a lot of cute styles in a variety of sizes and their return policy is pretty ok.

On Caribbean cruises I wear many of my clothes I wear in the summer here in Maryland. I wear capris, sun dresses, some shorts. Tops are nice sleeveless shirts, or t's with some nice styling. For dinner I wear maxis, sundresses and capris. I never wear jeans on a Caribbean cruise. I am also plus size.

I buy most of my clothes from Lane Bryant, Dress Barn. Once in awhile JC Penney and impulse buys from Walmart. A lot depends whether I am looking for dress or casual clothing.

I buy swim suits from Swimsuits for all.

Good luck and enjoy your shopping for the cruise. Just remember you care more about what you are wearing than your fellow cruisers. Buy for comfort and enjoyment.

A Google image search of "plus size cruise wear" will bring up oodles of possibilities, though most of the pix feature dresses.

How about "Elegant Plus," which has a very informative cruisewear section: http://www.elegantplus.com/Plus-Size-Clothing/resort-wear.htm

Lots of cute and practical ideas from "Fresh Produce" too: http://www.freshproduceclothes.com/fp/plus-size-cruise-wear

Just about everything I've seen at Chico's would be great for a cruise. And they have an online Outlet, too!

Travelsmith has a plus size collection.

Hi, I just want to put this out there......not sure what blogs/articles

are being written and by whom.......but a cruise is a small % of real

life with people of all shapes/sizes/colors/genders/religions/etc....

on board.

There are many, many, many people who are not in the "small size"

category.....(including me).....I wear a 16/18 and have been cruising

for 13 years........you will see cruisers of all sizes.

Thank you everyone for your replies! I will be sure to check out all the stores/sites suggested. I LOVE maxi dresses, but at 5'2 dresses can be tricky. I'm not worried about my people judging my size, if they don't like it they don't have to look, I just want to be comfortable and wear clothes that make sense for what we're doing that day. I'm from Wisconsin and don't have a lot of really hot summer days so my summer clothes supply is somewhat limited. My height is often a big hurdle with clothes-especially dresses and capris. I will look into the suggested places :) thanks everyone!

I am a size 16. I'm right in between the plus and regular sizes. For days on the land I would pack shorts and t-shirts with good tennis shoes. I would pack 2 swimsuits and multiple sundresses to wear as cover-ups. I use my sundresses as cover-ups and dresses to wear to dinner. I wear them to dinner first and then transfer them into the cover-up pile to wear on shore or day at sea. Target and Dress barn this time of year are a great place to grab cute summer stuff going on Clearance.

Thank you everyone for your replies! I will be sure to check out all the stores/sites suggested. I LOVE maxi dresses, but at 5'2 dresses can be tricky. I'm not worried about my people judging my size, if they don't like it they don't have to look, I just want to be comfortable and wear clothes that make sense for what we're doing that day. I'm from Wisconsin and don't have a lot of really hot summer days so my summer clothes supply is somewhat limited. My height is often a big hurdle with clothes-especially dresses and capris. I will look into the suggested places :) thanks everyone!

A good tailor can make any maxi dress or maxi skirt the perfect length for you. Just remember to wear the shoes you plan on wearing with the dress. Tailoring adds a little expense to your clothing, but it is so worth it to have clothing that hits wear it should hit and fits properly. I am a sewer, so I do a lot of my tailoring. But, I have a phenomenal tailor to do the things that are not in my skill set, like formal wear.

Lisa

I'm the same height, and size 18/20 -- the maxi dresses from Old Navy in petite length (size XL or XXL) fit perfectly.

Clean and presentable. What do you normally wear? Do you normally have wedgies and wardrobe malfunctions? Dress for the weather and activity.

Many times Torrid and City Chic have awesome sales. Target has a new line Ava Viv that has lots of cute things.

Royal Caribbean has no laundry rooms available for pax use. Either hand wash or send it out. Only send out sturdy stuff as the ship washes and dries on hot. More info is on the Royal Caribbean board. Can use Febreeze.

Bring a pair of loose shoes. Cruising has a tendency to swell feet and lower legs. There have been many theories about why this happens. If it happens, raise the end of the bed (stick the life preserver underneath)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sundresses are great for the Caribbean, but I highly recommend these: http://www.jockey.com/catalog/product/jockey-womens-cooling-skimmies

I'm around an 18/20, and the XL fits great. Without them, I wouldn't even consider a dress due to thigh chafing -- lol.

Oh! Thanks for the link! I have used similar things that were most certainly not cooling. I'll have to give these a try :)

And to OP, as others have said, a good tailor will be able to bring up the hem of a maxi skirt without a problem.

Thank you everyone! I'm going to venture out and buy some summer clothes. I actually don't own a pair of shorts, even in the summer I usually wear jeans, lol gonna have to adjust that for the cruise. I never thought to have maxi dresses tailored, that's a great idea! Thanks!

We retired back to Wisconsin from decades all over but the last 20 years mainly were in Maryland. Check out Boston Store sales for fun tops including something Hawaiian looking. The ones you'll see all over the Caribbean rarely fit above a size 16 bust. For cheap online returns if needed check out the Clearance area of the Sales on Lands End. The Pima polos look very nice on and they may still have a lightweight jean. The newer stuff since the new CEO from Italy started has sent prices up and made things more stylish but they are still working the kinks out. They do have great mix and match tankinis, swim shorts, cover ups and swim shoes for snorkling.

I also take jeans but white ones or faded blue then a black pair. Try for lighter weight and the newer flares let air flow some too. I agree about tailoring a maxi or 3 if you like those. Just make sure to wash them when you get home and wear them next summer downtown for non-fish fry date nights. And if you can't find shorts you like locally check out LL Bean as they have many lengths that would work for zip lining and ATVs. They also sell mosquito repellent clothes and clip on your belt bobs to keep the Zika away.

I would bring some comfortable shoes that will expand as the margaritas, desalinated drinking water or having too much fun makes your feet swell. Penny's had Clark flip flops on sale yesterday if those work for you. They have more support than most. I always take my save for cruises and resorts Sperry boat shoes that come in wides. Add nice sandals for dinner and swim shoes and that should do it for shoes. I also take a 3 ounce bottle of Woolite to wash out undies and swim suits. Anything else goes to the ship's cleaners if needed.

IOWs, use this as a good time to freshen up your home summer wardrobe. I know mine went tilt towards cold weather gear as soon as we moved back and by July I realized I needed summer stuff too. Oh, if you don't spend much time in the sun take a good sunscreen and a hat for wind.

Edited by NorthernLite

Have you checked out Torrid? They tend to have end of season stuff on the clearance rack at our local store in Alaska. Like you I live in an area where summers are short and don't get above 85 degrees. I also find things at Burlington and Old Navy. Sometimes there are great sales online and summer wear much cheaper buying in the fall when they put all of it on sale. For formal wear, try ModCloth online. Super cute dresses that come in plus sizes. I'm 5'4" and a 16/18/20 depending on brand.

I'm plus size and short (5 ft even here!). I do all of my shopping pretty much at swimsuitsforall, dsw, kohls, maurices, and department stores. I always go online first and either order from there if I know the brand will fit or make a list and try it on in store. I mainly wear knee length-maxi length skirts and dresses, loose blouses, tankinis, swimdresses, etc.

My husband and I will be taking our first cruise in April and I've been searching the Internet for good cruise wear but I notice the blogs/articles are generally geared towards smaller cruisers and just not practical for plus size women. What kind of clothing would be best for a plus size cruiser? I'm looking for comfort and practical clothing, I don't want to be worrying about wedgies or wardrobe malfunctions all day. What stores/sites does everyone recommend? I'm 26 and looking for stylish but practical cruise wear (and I don't wear heels, I'm 5'2 and I've accepted that lol). TIA!

Plus sized here.....been anywhere between a 16 to 26, presently a 20-22. I wish I would have learned much earlier that what I wear at home will suffice on a cruise. I'm a light packer (carry on for a week) and I do a lot of mixing and matching. I have a few pieces of travel knit I've purchased on Ebay, but most of my clothes come from Penneys, Torrid, Kohls, Lane Bryant and a few local boutiques/thrift stores. I do buy bathing suits from Swimsuits for All. Slacks work for me in the evening and I mix and match blouses to a few pairs for evening....the more casual ones I use again for daywear with shorts. I have 2 or 3 sparkly blouses for formal evening. I practically live in a bathing suit onboard so I only take a few additional blouses or t-shirts. I recently purchased a few things from Goddess on the Go online to change up formal night along with a few of their other pieces. Their stuff is far from cheap but as I practice yoga, their clothing serves a dual purpose for me.

Don't buy a new wardrobe for a cruise just for the sake of pleasing ppl. Please yourself!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Don't buy a new wardrobe for a cruise just for the sake of pleasing ppl. Please yourself!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Partly true, for some people that don't live in hotter climates though - we do need some new things when we vacation. I donate my used stuff to recycle clothes out of my wardrobe and it's fun to shop for new clothes. The new cruise clothes I wear after the cruise, often layered with a sweater or hoody when I come back home. I like pleasing myself with cute outfits. If I think I look good in something, I'm already in a better mood and when cruising it's doubly fun!

Sundresses are great for the Caribbean, but I highly recommend these: http://www.jockey.com/catalog/product/jockey-womens-cooling-skimmies

I'm around an 18/20, and the XL fits great. Without them, I wouldn't even consider a dress due to thigh chafing -- lol.

These are magic. Light weight, breathable and not at all constricting, ie no spanx for this lady! Macy's carries them.

Partly true, for some people that don't live in hotter climates though - we do need some new things when we vacation. I donate my used stuff to recycle clothes out of my wardrobe and it's fun to shop for new clothes. The new cruise clothes I wear after the cruise, often layered with a sweater or hoody when I come back home. I like pleasing myself with cute outfits. If I think I look good in something, I'm already in a better mood and when cruising it's doubly fun!

I live in cold country but I love the bright colors of summer clothes and also stretch the season with sweaters. And I totally agree that looking good and feeling good are intertwined.

As one fluffy woman to other fluffy women, just look in the rear view mirror when you shop. White tights with a cropped top generally not a good look on anyone larger than size four... And to the young woman who was probably a size 26, hot pink thong underwear, well, when you bent over, Oh my!

QVC is your friend..........my two favorite lines on there are LOGO by Lori Goldstein and Denim & Co, everything comes in plus sizes. I've bought tons of LOGO pieces in the last couple of years - they are lightweight, perfect for layering. D&Co also has a line of beachy pieces now, including some great coverups. Also, Quacker Factory (QVC) has some great nautical pieces.

QVC is your friend..........my two favorite lines on there are LOGO by Lori Goldstein and Denim & Co, everything comes in plus sizes. I've bought tons of LOGO pieces in the last couple of years - they are lightweight, perfect for layering. D&Co also has a line of beachy pieces now, including some great coverups. Also, Quacker Factory (QVC) has some great nautical pieces.

Hi Libby,:) I just bought 2 pair of Lori's new jeans....they are more like

a twill (not denim).......they are quite nice and fit beautifully:D

They are cuffed at the bottom and the length if perfect for me! One

is black cherry and one is black. I wish she would make these in more

colors.;)......I wear an 18 and I love them.:D

Edited by Lois R