Buenos Aires hotels

dg33

We stayed at the Hilton in Puerto Madero. It was a great hotel in a good location. Walked to several wonderful restaurants nearby on the water. The hop on hop off bus had a stop right across the street from the hotel. It was a short cab ride to the cruise port. Hotel had a great buffet breakfast and a beautiful pool area. :)

I can also recommend the Hilton at Puerto Madero. We stayed there last year. It's in the old port area, which has been renovated - with lots of restaurants, some historic small ships, and a canal-side promenade. It is a comfortable and picturesque area to stroll. We felt completely safe, both during the day and after dark. It's also only a 15 minute walk to the Plaza de Mayo. But the route crosses an empty area, so I would suggest going on foot only in daylight, and even then, with some caution.

On a previous trip we stayed in Retiro (central city business area) and were the near victims of a pickpocket scam, which discouraged us on Buenos Aires. I'm glad we went back, because we had a great time on this second trip.

To tour the city, we also used the Hop-on/Hop-off bus. It has some problems (half the audio jacks didn't work), but it took us to most of the areas of interest to tourists, and we felt we got a good overview.

The new construction at Puerto Madero, including the Hilton, is all modern. Hotels in Recoleta (the mansion and embassy district) would be more traditional and grand, but probably more expensive unless you get a discount. Palermo is a residential neighborhood, popular with tourists, but I'm less familiar with it.

Buenos Aires is a beautiful city, well worth touring in advance of your cruise.

We have stayed at the Sheraton twice while in BA and in the Club level which afforded us breakfast and happy hour and there were a number of other CCers staying there as well...we ended up with our own HH each night. They have a roof top pool and a large lobby with a bar and an area where you can order food as well. It is just several blocks to Florida' Street which is one of the main "drags" of BA and there is a huge multi story shopping area off Florida with a large food court that we used for inexpensive lunches. LuAnn

Thank you all so much!! Will be booking soon- probably Hilton or Sheraton. BTW, there appears to be two Sheratons- are you referring to either one in particular?

Thank you all so much!! Will be booking soon- probably Hilton or Sheraton. BTW, there appears to be two Sheratons- are you referring to either one in particular?

The Sheraton Libertador is the one...not the convention center one. LuAnn

We recommend the Howard Johnson Hotel Boutique Recoleta to everyone who goes to Buenos Aires. It's a wonderful small boutique hotel just a few easy blocks walking to the famous cemetery you will, of course, want to visit. Let me assure you that it's not like Howard Johnson hotels/motels in the US...this is a very classy, clean modern hotel.

Let us know if the mausoleum next to Evita is still for sale. When we were there, I think it was offered for $250,000 ;)

We recommend the Howard Johnson Hotel Boutique Recoleta to everyone who goes to Buenos Aires. It's a wonderful small boutique hotel just a few easy blocks walking to the famous cemetery you will, of course, want to visit. Let me assure you that it's not like Howard Johnson hotels/motels in the US...this is a very classy, clean modern hotel.

We stayed at the Howard Johnson Boutique Recoleta in 2015. It really isn't like the American Howard Johnson motels at all, but is a small (about 30 rooms) boutique hotel with a good Argentinian steak restaurant essentially across the street.

But another idea is the Alvear Art, which is what we booked for this past March.

"IDLnyc" referred to an important issue when booking a hotel in Buenos Aires. BA has a number of great and interesting hotels, but it is very important to understand the neighborhood. This topic is discussed periodically on the Cruise Critic South America sub-forum. "dr_dawggy", a frequent poster on that forum, has posted some excellent comparisons and information about the pros and cons of various neighborhoods.

I recommend the Fierro Hotel in Palermo Hollywood. It is located in an upcoming neighborhood with a fantastic restaurant, UCO, on the premises Rated one of the top restaurant in BA. Hotel rated 5 stars from TripAdvisor.