Formal night dress down - Why complain?

serene sea

I noticed on my last cruise that the Patter sugggested that the ship was "Formal" from 5:30pm, however nobody ever seems bothered that people are not respecting the dress code early evening. Should those people with early dining options who are dressed formally much earlier in the evening be offended at the shorts and T-shirts they encounter? I cannot see everyone with late traditional dining taking to their cabins at 5:30 so as not to cause offence before they dress for dinner.

You never can tell the depth of the well by the length of the handle on the pump.

yanceycruiser

Carnival Pride Feb 03
Grand Princess Jan 01
RCL Enchantment of the Seas Jan 99
NCL Norway Jan 97
NCL Dream Jan 95

Sapphire Princess 8/22/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;8;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

There are a few people posting here that keep talking about "social graces, being brought up properly, being disreceptful" by not dressing on formal nights. It appears important to these cruisers that the rules of Princess be followed as stated in the newsletters, information packets or whatever.

But the very same posters in other threads discuss some other escapades involving crew members that appear to be firing offenses. Since those events are not affecting me or my vacation, why should my not dressing up affect these other folks. What makes not following one rule not important, when not following the dress code is "without social graces"?
Lets be more tolerent of each others different ideas of enjoyment on our cruises. Each to his own.

Please don't make decisions whether I was "brought up properly" or not, based on whether I dress up for dinner, change after dinner or walk the decks in shorts. If I am polite to you and you to me, as we pass dressed differently then we both will be showing good social graces. I promise not to laugh at your tux if you won't "have a good laugh" at my shorts.
Please accept this as my opinion based on reading several different posts regarding the issue of "Formal Nights".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by twocats:
There are a few people posting here that keep talking about "social graces, being brought up properly, being disreceptful" by not dressing on formal nights. It appears important to these cruisers that the rules of Princess be followed as stated in the newsletters, information packets or whatever.

[B]It really has nothing to do with "rules". The need to create a strictly defined set of rules is actually contrary to the purpose. People who participate voluntarily are far more likely to appreciate the event than those who feel put upon to conform.[/B]

But the very same posters in other threads discuss some other escapades involving crew members that appear to be firing offenses.
Since those events are not affecting me or my vacation, why should my not dressing up affect these other folks. What makes not following one rule not important, when not following the dress code is "without social graces"?

[B] I don't understand that statement. It's also a gross over-generalization that implies inconsistency amongst everyone who supports formal nights and wishes to preserve them.[/B]

Lets be more tolerent of each others different ideas of enjoyment on our cruises. Each to his own.

[B]I, too, would appreciate some tolerance from those who believe fully in the "each to his own" ethic. That is fine in your own home where no one is affected by your choices. A ship is a completely different environment. You do not have the anonymity of you car or office cubicle to isolate you from the rest of humanity. I would argue that even on the biggest ships you are likely to run into others on more than one occasion, and it is far more likely on a smaller ship. You might see the same people several times during your cruise, you might even be on the same shore excursions. Therefore, it is necessary to show consideration to others, as any community does so that all can get along. That is the essence of community - we all sacrifice just a little so that everyone benefits the most. Cruising is special because (I believe) this sense of community still exists, albeit temporarily. If I wanted purely anonymous existence with meaningless social interaction, I have a world of alternatives to cruising.[/B]

Please don't make decisions whether I was "brought up properly" or not, based on whether I dress up for dinner, change after dinner or walk the decks in shorts. If I am polite to you and you to me, as we pass dressed differently then we both will be showing good social graces.

[B]We should all remember that, and not just on formal night. Well said.[/B]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Completed:
Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

"I noticed on my last cruise that the Patter sugggested that the ship was "Formal" from 5:30pm, however nobody ever seems bothered that people are not respecting the dress code early evening. Should those people with early dining options who are dressed formally much earlier in the evening be offended at the shorts and T-shirts they encounter?"
==============================================

An excellent point. I try to get back to my stateroom by 5:30 or 6:00 so I won't be in the way of those that are early seating and begining their formal night. At the very least, I stay out of the public areas.

Here, Here, Sponge,
Well said, as usual. My sentiments, exactly, but more succinct. What is this obsession with constantly changing clothes. After Early Dining, I want to Rush to the Princess Theatre, clear at the Other end of the ship, to see the Show. I barely have time to use the Ladies Room to get my front-row seat. Pax sometimes do not realize that the cast and crew really appreciate seeing well-dressed and happy pax to play to. They work so hard at their craft to please us. They like to see Us as well as we like to see Them.

A Smile is just a little curve that sets a lot of things Straight.
Fair Winds and Following Seas!

WillB:
You are Very considerate, and a True Southern Gentleman. Thank you for being appropriate, and thank your Mum for raising you correctly.

A Smile is just a little curve that sets a lot of things Straight.
Fair Winds and Following Seas!

bjkTX

Sorry, I wasn't commenting on the use of the term 'mandatory' I just want to know which cruise lines really enforce the 'formal ' dress code. I'm guessing the upscale ones like Crystal etc. but was hoping you could give me more detailled info.

Crystal is probably the dressiest line. I call formal night on Crystal, "not a sequine left in Hong Kong." And yes, those 4 karat diamond earings are probably real. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

About 90-95% of the men wear tuxes. It's a great party. Lovely people, well traveled, usually a lot of fun to be with. Not snobby at all. A lot of fun.

I also am told that Cunnard can be very dressy, but that's one that I haven't cruised on so I don't know for sure.

Radisson is a little less dressy as they are down to one or no formal nights on a 7 day cruise.

The smaller ship lines like Seabourne and Silverseas are probably dressy depending on the itinerary.

You know, after reading all of this, I'm suddenly much less excited about my 12/4 Caribbean Princess cruise. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I have ALWAYS followed the dress code for the evening for dinner on all 12 cruises I've been on.

On occasion (not always) I've changed to a skirt, top and more comfortable shoes to go dancing after dinner. I enjoy dancing and I do not do so well in high heels. I had no idea that by doing so I was offending so many people. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

If the formal night for the ENTIRE evening is an important part of the Princess experience then I think I may have chosen incorrectly. I can't guarantee that I will stay formally dressed for an entire evening after dinner.

Sigh.

Ella, This is a board of opinions. We each have one. Several Stay formally dressed, and several, including myself, change into nicely dressed, not formal clothes. Have a great cruise. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Sue
7 days on Star Princess 10/24

GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY..... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Thanks Sue. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I know everyone has an opinion they are entitled to; guess I'm just tired with the judgmental words by some when they disagree with others.

I've learned the hard way that life is much too short to sweat the small stuff...thanks for the reminder.

Formal night threads always go this way, I know better. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If anyone posting here has ever changed into dirty shorts, a t-shirt and thongs after dinner, please speak up. I do not think anyone who has contributed to this post has done this. The few that would are probably not reading Cruise Critic. I do not think anyone should feel bad about changing into something nice but comfortable after dinner. I may be strange but the next morning I could not tell you what anyone had on the night before, I am too busy having fun to pay attention to what my neighbor has on their back.

Carnival Spirit-Hawaii
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2003;10;6;13;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> They want that formal night food but don't want to put the time into getting dressed for it. I think they should get a bratwurst and a bag of chips and be sent to the lido deck where they belong with all the other hoopies.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I'm telling you Chris - you, me and Spongerob...we need to book a cruise together.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Bdjam - I NEVER said that one has a right to appear at a formal event in cut-off overalls and dirty t-shirts. You are 100% correct. As I said before in my original post, it is about CHANGING AFTER dinner. By the way, if this is what you are noticing, why are you still cruising Princess? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Well, I took the quote about rights directly out of your post. You said they had the right to change after dinner and I agreed with you. But your post implies people who have changed out of formal attire can go to the “formal” events. While Princess doesn’t necessarily state what these are, as Chris implies, anyone with a little common sense can figure it out. It is a formal evening, not just a formal dinner.

I’ll give you an example of how this might affect others – I’ll always remember a picture that my partner and I took with some friends of ours – we were in formal attire at the Champagne Waterfall – the picture was taken by a ship’s photographer right in front of it and was an excellent photo. Except for the guy behind us in a tank top with noticeable armpit hair…THAT ruined our chance at a nice photo. Want to hear about the table photo with one of our tablemates in a Hard Rock T-shirt and a navy blue jacket and shorts on formal night?

As for your other question, there are many reasons I cruise on Princess. One is that they offer at least two formal nights when I cruise. I enjoy the formal events. My question for those of you who don’t – AGAIN – is why do you cruise Princess if you don’t want to partake in formal evenings?
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But did it ruin my vacation?? You've got to be kidding! Please, people, find something else more important to whine about! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I think you might be taking this too seriously…no one said people with little or no social manners are ruining our cruises…it’s just distressing – or funny, depending on how you look at it – to see.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You never can tell the depth of the well by the length of the handle on the pump.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That's what I say [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But the very same posters in other threads discuss some other escapades involving crew members that appear to be firing offenses. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Cheap shot – you took something that was posted out of camaraderie and used it in order to support your argument. Perhaps because you have no other? Whatever the reason, you’ve not made a friend by doing so. What you are referring to and this discussion are two different things – it’s obvious you had to stoop pretty low to come up with what you thought was a fair debate. And to think we’re neighbors – I guess I should know better than to expect any discretion.

You go ahead and wear whatever you’d like on the designated formal nights – just stay out of my way. If you’d like to debate this further, we can take it off line, but know that any crew members I know make their own decisions, I don’t make them for them.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I, too, would appreciate some tolerance from those who believe fully in the "each to his own" ethic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Thanks 'rob - your posts help to make me realize that I'm not the crazy one...or maybe it's just you and me.

Sorry, twocat's post was somewhat of a personal attack...so I'm out of it. I enjoy a good spirited debate, but not when it comes at the price of what was a friendly discussion on another board. Y'all wear what you want, you're going to anyway.

-------------------------
Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

Just got back from CP and I saw more men in suits than tux. The 1st formal night seemed to be the "Big" formal night because they did the Captain's cockail party too, and everyone was doing the pictures. The second formal night we ate in the Caribe Cafe, because they had lobster, snow crab legs, shrimp, etc. It was smart-casual (polo-type )shirts and slacks.( I called the desk and asked what was appropriate for the buffet). I wore a nice sundress. We went up to the piano bar after dinner and we didn't feel out of place, because with all of the different dinner options, it really didn't matter.

Kim
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;6;5;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Caribbean Princess - June 5, 2004

How did this silly discussion become about how people dress on formal nights? If I have plans on going to the theatre after a formal dinner and change from a gown to a nice skirt/capris and a nice blouse/sweater, just what is so wrong with that? If you don't like it, I hope I am not on the same cruise with you.

Caribbean Princess 7/03/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;3;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

For those sailing on the Caribbean Princess you may be in for a surprise. On our June 5 cruise I would say that 15% of men wore tuxes, 50% wore suits and the other 35% were dressed smart casual! I thought it was great! So great that for the first time in 11 cruises I changed from my tux after dinner to shorts and a casual shirt and came back down to watch Sarge in the Explorers lounge! It's the most comfortable I have ever felt on a cruise before. I'm in my 50's, work in the meetings and hospitality industry and dress in a coat and tie every day. I also attend several black tie affairs every year. I am happy to say I have joined the other side now and while I will probably still wear a tux to formal nights, I will always change to something more casual for the rest of the evening! I have never understood why in the world anyone would care what someone else wears to dinner or afterwards. And to top it off some of these people actually allow what someone else wears to ruin their cruise!! Are these people the most egocentric stupid people on the earth or what?

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;6;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
on Caribbean Princess June 5, 2004

Larry

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Are these people the most egocentric stupid people on the earth or what?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. They're regular folks just like you, maybe even more regular than you. They just have a different perspective. Nor would they try to rain on anyone else's parade; instead they suffer with grace those who choose to rain on theirs.

Completed:
Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

I just think that if people spent more time enjoying things instead of judging others the world would be a much better place. With that said, shame on me for judging others in my last post! Thanks Spongerob for bringing me to my senses!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;6;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
on Caribbean Princess June 5, 2004

Larry

Archived