Getaway Baltic Capitals cruise - 16 to 25 May

We just got back this past Sunday, and your review helped me out a lot with my research.

A few notes:

- We took the Hydrofoil ride to finish off the day in SPB, so it is still running. Note - we went with DenRus.

Glad to hear that as well!

Yes, I didn't mean to say the hydrofoil wasn't running at all; only that I had seen that Alla had stopped using because of a change to the way the operator runs it. But that's second-hand information so I can't vouch for its accuracy.

I've read through your review so far and it's very entertaining. I agree that Tallinn was the surprise port, and a very pleasant experienc.e

Very interested in this review as we are on this cruise in September. I hope I don't ask too many questions, but I do have a lot of them!

Regarding the food tour: Can you give more information about it including if you chose this particular oe over others and why please?

Regarding the bus to the port: How difficult was that to navigate with luggage (and are you a person with a lot or little luggage)? How close did the bus take you to the pier?

Thanks for posting about that day trip. We are wanting to take one. I will check that out.

You mentioned spa package. Do you mean the thermal suites package? We have booked that. If it's the same, did you find it worthwhile? How were the crowds? Since we are in September, I was thinking the outdoor pool would be quite chilly in the Baltic area!

Re: Wernamunde: We, too, are not interested in a long bus ride to Berlin and were looking for alternative excursions from the port. I had read a few by Alla but simply having trouble deciding especially since the Shwerin castle is closed on our port day (Monday). Did you feel the tour was a good value? Would we be missing a lot without the inside of the castle?

Somehow I missed knowing about Escape the Big Top. Have not seen that mentioned in anything I have read nor did NCL mentioned it when I called them last month about shows. Is it a show? If not, what is it?

I had better post this before I do something that loses it!

Thanks in advance for your help!

You do need to make a reservation for some of the shows. The reservation is added to your key card. The one show I would definitely recommend is Million Dollar Quartet. I would also recommend sitting on the left side of the theatre, behind the piano.
!

Thanks for that tip! Any other recommendations for other shows? Have a great day!

I just realized that I booked the same hotel in which you stayed. How did you like it? Was it inconvenient to get into the city? How was the hotel itself...rooms, public spaces, restaurants, breakfast options there or nearby? Did they offer transportation from the airport to hotel? Thanks!

A few other useful info:

I was able to use my credit card or euros everywhere.

The only issue was in Copenhagen where the machine at the train station would not accept my American VISA, fortunately, i also have a European VISA, and this one worked.

The bus 27 at Ocean Pier did not accept foreign currency. The lady gave me a free ride! if you plan on catching the 27 from the pier, make sure you either have DKK or purchase your ticket BEFORE the cruise. I have heard that the 25 accepts foreign currency, however, it doesn't start until 8am.

Are you talking about a train from the Copenhagen airport or all trains in Copenhagen (or possibly some other train)? Would whatever train you are talking about be covered with the CityPass? Thank you.

No problem. I've put the answers next to your questions in red so it's easy to follow.

Very interested in this review as we are on this cruise in September. I hope I don't ask too many questions, but I do have a lot of them!

Regarding the food tour: Can you give more information about it including if you chose this particular oe over others and why please? This one had really good reviews on Viator, and I have since added my own. It brought in the open sandwiches and a tasting from a local micro-brewery, but of which are things I strongly associate with Copenhagen and really wanted to try. I also find food tours are an excellent way to get my bearings in a city and learn a bit more about the local culture as well. It's an easy walk but takes in key sites including the botanical gardens, which were beautiful, and the old rerservoirs. And there was plenty of tasting options with a good mix of sweet and savoury. I really would recommend it.

Regarding the bus to the port: How difficult was that to navigate with luggage (and are you a person with a lot or little luggage)? How close did the bus take you to the pier? It was easy to get there with luggage, but there wasn't a great deal of space on the bus itself which surprised me. I only had one case and could fit it in the seat with me, as I was on my own. If you have a lot of luggage you might want to try another option. The bus drops you almost right outside the terminal - about a 2 minute walk on a flat pavement to get to it afterwards.

Thanks for posting about that day trip. We are wanting to take one. I will check that out.

You mentioned spa package. Do you mean the thermal suites package? We have booked that. If it's the same, did you find it worthwhile? How were the crowds? Since we are in September, I was thinking the outdoor pool would be quite chilly in the Baltic area! Yes, the thermal suite. I did find it worthwhile, but it was more crowded than other ships I've been on - a case of one person in and one out on loungers. But I always got one without waiting. Much quieter on port days of course. Apparently the outdoor pool was not heated on our sailing, so yes definitely too cold for me!

Re: Wernamunde: We, too, are not interested in a long bus ride to Berlin and were looking for alternative excursions from the port. I had read a few by Alla but simply having trouble deciding especially since the Shwerin castle is closed on our port day (Monday). Did you feel the tour was a good value? Would we be missing a lot without the inside of the castle? The outside of the castle is still interesting, but you would miss a key bit of the tour if you couldn't get inside. However, comparing the other tours, I think the Schwerin one would still be better value (at the public prices) than the one that is just Warnemunde and Rostock.

Somehow I missed knowing about Escape the Big Top. Have not seen that mentioned in anything I have read nor did NCL mentioned it when I called them last month about shows. Is it a show? If not, what is it? It is not publicised at all, other than in the dailies immediately before it happens. It's not so much a show as an activity and they don't seem to promote it as much, for inexplicable reasons. There are a couple of reviews specifically on it in the forum if you search for it.

I had better post this before I do something that loses it!

Thanks in advance for your help!

I just realized that I booked the same hotel in which you stayed. How did you like it? Was it inconvenient to get into the city? How was the hotel itself...rooms, public spaces, restaurants, breakfast options there or nearby? Did they offer transportation from the airport to hotel? Thanks!

It was very nice, although food is quite expensive (but very nice). It was perfect for the city. You're 5 minutes easy walk from both the tram station and the mainline train station. One takes you direct to Norreport, and the other to the main station - from the two of those you can get anywhere easily.

There is the largest shopping centre in Copenhagen nearby with food options, although I always ate at the hotel.

There is a very comfortable shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel, and vice versa, as well as one to the cruiseport. No need to book the one from the airport, but the others need to be booked at the reception desk. You can pick it up outside terminal 2 at the airport - relatively well signposted, opposite the multistorey car park.

It's supposed to be 2 euros added to your bill, but they didn't actually charge me in the end.

Are you talking about a train from the Copenhagen airport or all trains in Copenhagen (or possibly some other train)? Would whatever train you are talking about be covered with the CityPass? Thank you.

I don't know about the original poster, but the City Pass covers all transport within the city - trains, trams (more of a light railway), and buses.

I re-read that you took a tour in Tallin. Did you see any taxis or other means of transportation to get you from the ship to the town if you are not on a tour? Thanks in advance.

I can't remember taxis, but there were hop on buses there. I also remember a few other people saying they found it very easy to do themselves, so there must be something there - and it's not a long walk either if you wanted to do that. We saw a fair number of people walking in.

Sorry if this was asked and answered..did you take any dkk for Copenhagen? Did you use credit card or euros along the way and what was your experience?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry if this was asked and answered..did you take any dkk for Copenhagen? Did you use credit card or euros along the way and what was your experience?

I mostly used credit card, but used about 200dkk - mainly for tips. I ended up bringing some home. They mostly don't take euros, and the ones without credit card machines almost certainly won't.

Credit cards are accepted everything in Copenhagen , including taxis.

Looks like you had a great time, and thank you very much for answering the questions. We're on this itinerary starting on Tuesday! I've seen different answers for how different cities handle Cash vs Credit Cards, particularly St Petersburg and in Germany.

We've got a nominal amount of Rubles. Did you notice that Credit Cards are taken at restaurants and snack bars (for lack of a better term).

Same for Germany/Berlin. Cash (Euros) or CC? I would assume the bigger outlets would take CC, more curious about a small cafe or souvenir shop?

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

It was very nice, although food is quite expensive (but very nice). It was perfect for the city. You're 5 minutes easy walk from both the tram station and the mainline train station. One takes you direct to Norreport, and the other to the main station - from the two of those you can get anywhere easily.

There is the largest shopping centre in Copenhagen nearby with food options, although I always ate at the hotel.

There is a very comfortable shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel, and vice versa, as well as one to the cruiseport. No need to book the one from the airport, but the others need to be booked at the reception desk. You can pick it up outside terminal 2 at the airport - relatively well signposted, opposite the multistorey car park.

It's supposed to be 2 euros added to your bill, but they didn't actually charge me in the end.

Thank you for your detailed reply!

Wondering if this is the bus you took to cruiseport or something different. If not, can you say why you chose alternative bus? Thanks.

Looks like you had a great time, and thank you very much for answering the questions. We're on this itinerary starting on Tuesday! I've seen different answers for how different cities handle Cash vs Credit Cards, particularly St Petersburg and in Germany.

We've got a nominal amount of Rubles. Did you notice that Credit Cards are taken at restaurants and snack bars (for lack of a better term).

Same for Germany/Berlin. Cash (Euros) or CC? I would assume the bigger outlets would take CC, more curious about a small cafe or souvenir shop?

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

It was awesome. I hope you have an equally good time!

Credit cards were taken everywhere that we stopped at - which included a number of restaurants. I'm not sure about street stalls, but we didn't actually go near any of those. But I would say you can be confident relying on a credit card. The one place that didn't was in the cruise terminal on the way back in, where a lady was selling stamps for postcards and offering to post them. The other souvenir stalls there seemed to be a mix of card and cash, although the quality was not as good as the other places we visited (but also more affordable as a result).

You'll have no problem with a credit card in Germany or Berlin but it will be easier if you have a card with a pin number. Some places do not take American Express.

Thank you for your detailed reply!

Wondering if this is the bus you took to cruiseport or something different. If not, can you say why you chose alternative bus? Thanks.

I didn't take it, but it said it would take you direct to the cruise port, and I'm sure it would have done - and been more comfortable than the one I took (Number 25 from Norreport). I didn't use it because I only found out about it on arrival at the hotel, and I had everything planned for using the 25 so by that time it had become part of the adventure.

If I went back I would use the hotel bus as much easier and more comfortable...

You'll have no problem with a credit card in Germany or Berlin but it will be easier if you have a card with a pin number. Some places do not take American Express.

My experience in Berlin was a bit different, as I spent three nights there post cruise. I found many places only took cash. Since day trips only would have one meal, it's possible that the tours are taken to places that accept CC, but on your own, I'd make sure to have euros.

I absolutely needed no rubles, and no Swedish kroner-- both took CC. In Copenhagen, most places took credit but you cannot take even medium sized purses into museums/palaces and needed DKK to use as a locker deposit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just checked Viator for the food tour and there are a few of them. Which one did you do? Thanks!

It was this one - https://www.viator.com/tours/Copenhagen/Copenhagen-Food-Tour/d463-6027CPTFOOD

You can also book directly - http://copenhagen.foodtours.eu/product/the-culinary-experience-tour/

Thank you. That is a morning tour and I was hoping to book the evening tour on the day we arrive. (Have to do something to stay awake and acclimate!)

Thank you. That is a morning tour and I was hoping to book the evening tour on the day we arrive. (Have to do something to stay awake and acclimate!)

We are going to Tivoli Gardens!! That should keep us awake and stimulated! I read the lights at night are beautiful. We are also planning to eat there. Researching restaurants now.

We are going to Tivoli Gardens!! That should keep us awake and stimulated! I read the lights at night are beautiful. We are also planning to eat there. Researching restaurants now.

Tivoli has fireworks every Wednesday and Saturday nights in the summer starting at 10:45 PM. It's worth staying awake to see them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

They are beautiful. Lots of restaurants in there - we ate outside near the Pirate boat. It had a good view over the lake.

• 2 weeks later...
Time changes - you change to local time. I think there was one change forward, and one back. You get a card the night before to remind you, and then it is announced the next day. I always set the wake up call on the phone - that way I am sure I am on the right time.

Menus - they're all the same fleet-wide. This is why I stuck with the free restaurants this time - I've eaten everything on the speciality menus over my previous 3 cruises. They do throw in the odd special theme meal in Moderno, and I don't know if that is the same everywhere.

Ports - The ports are all pretty central, except for Nynashamn if you dock there rather than Stockholm. Pretty easy to catch some form of public transport. However, I did see Hop on Hop Off buses arriving in Nynashamn too. Warnemunde and Tallinn are probably the easiest to do that way.

Stockholm - no. This was very poorly handled by NCL, because I heard about the change from Alla a week before NCL bothered to tell me. Apparently, it is the Captain's call. We did check the port timetables and see a large container ship taking the Getaway's original berth, so maybe they were outbid - but I suspect that the problems of the Transatlantic made the Captain nervous about taking such a big ship through the archipelago. We did still see some of it though, so don't despair if your port gets changed as well.

Oh wow thanks for the tip I'm so looking forward to the passage I'm glad I get to at least experience some of it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums