Getaway Baltic Capitals cruise - 16 to 25 May

Thanks for all your information! Since we are boarding in Warnmunde, we will drive from Berlin to do some sightseeing on the way to the ship. Schwerin Castle is on our list. Do you recall the name of the 1895 wine tavern where you had lunch? Is it close to the castle?

Thanks for all your information! Since we are boarding in Warnmunde, we will drive from Berlin to do some sightseeing on the way to the ship. Schwerin Castle is on our list. Do you recall the name of the 1895 wine tavern where you had lunch? Is it close to the castle?

Are you planning on driving yourself from Berlin? We are also boarding in Warnemunde and are researching the transportation to the port.

Yes, we are renting 2 minivans from Enterprise-a group of 8 and returning it in Rostock/Warnmunde. We will just drop it off and take a taxi back to the ship after unloading our luggage at the port..

I did the Baltic capital cruise on the Dawn a couple of years ago...what a fantastic cruise! Your pictures brought back a flood of memories. My tips...use Alla Tours...they were fantastic! My daughter and I loved St. Petersburg and you need to use a tour to get the most out of your time there. You will need lots of different kinds of currency so plan ahead. We used the hop on hop off bus in Helsinki and it was great. We did not go to Berlin in Germany...too many hours on a train...and opted for Warnemunde and Schwein castle and it was amazing! We loved Talinn as well, what a surprise! Such a charming place....

I have also cruised on the Getaway (in the Haven in the Caribbean). It's a great ship but I spent most of my time in the Haven away from the crowds. And my cruise was in the Caribbean which is a completely different kind of cruise than the Baltic cruise. Not sure I would want to cruise on a bigger ship with so many neat amenities when so much of your time will be spent off the ship.

I am envious of all who will be cruising in the Baltic. We will return someday. Have a blast! :D

Oh - I meant to say that we DID get to see some of the archipelago as we were sailing out, for several hours actually. It was some consolation for not seeing the whole thing on the way into Stockholm. You may want to delay your dining plans to view that, if it is particularly important to you.

The archipelago into Stockholm is amazing. Having done this cruise on the Dawn, a significantly smaller ship than the Getaway, we were able to navigate to Stockholm. The day we were there, a thick fog accompanied us all the way to Stockholm so we were blissfully unaware of just how close the small islands and large rocks were to our ship until we sailed out. WOW...is all I can say. And, it was at that point, we understood the full impact of the announcement made upon arrival that without the ships highly advanced navigational equipment, we would not have been allowed to pass through to Stockholm. :o

Thank you :)

I used Danish Krone in Copenhagen and Swedish Kroner in Stockholm, although both countries take credit cards for virtually everything, so it was mainly tips for the guides. In all the other ports, including St Petersburg, I used Euros or credit cards. I had to pay Alla Tours in St Petersburg for all the tours and they charged in Roubles, because of a new regulation, but took it by card so that was fine - the tip could be in Euros or dollars.

Basically, if you have a credit card with a pin number, you can do without cash for everything but tips in every port.

Did you notice if they took American Express? We try to use it for everything cause it's our air points..but we have a visa too if we need to use it. Thank you!

Looks like Getaway can't berth today at Warnemünde due to a storm.

They will try again in the evening.

Just texted my son on the ship. They are circling around waiting for the wind to die down. He says that they are not going to Germany or Tallinn. The winds are too strong- the port too narrow making the approach too unpredictable for the huge ship. They were supposed to be in Germany today.Many passengers are not happy apparently.

/Just texted my son on the ship. They are circling around waiting for the wind to die down. He says that they are not going to Germany or Tallinn. The winds are too strong- the port too narrow making the approach too unpredictable for the huge ship. They were supposed to be in Germany today.Many passengers are not happy apparently.

wonder what the people who were supposed to start cruise in Warnemunde will do-has NCL made alternative arrangements for them

we have booked Baltics cruise next year embarking from Warnemunde so as to spend some days pre cruise in Berlin

never considered possibility of ship not being able to dock there!

wonder what the people who were supposed to start cruise in Warnemunde will do-has NCL made alternative arrangements for them

we have booked Baltics cruise next year embarking from Warnemunde so as to spend some days pre cruise in Berlin

never considered possibility of ship not being able to dock there!

How unfortunate!! On one of the other roll calls, someone posted that they're being moved to a hotel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's called the F.A. Wohler hotel and weinhaus, and is about 10 minutes easy walk from the castle. Their website is here http://www.weinhaus-woehler.de/de/woehler/index.htm If you put it into google it comes up on the map with directions from the castle.

Did you notice if they took American Express? We try to use it for everything cause it's our air points..but we have a visa too if we need to use it. Thank you!

Generally, places stated that they didn't take American Express. Sorry about that. Visa worked everywhere.

Just texted my son on the ship. They are circling around waiting for the wind to die down. He says that they are not going to Germany or Tallinn. The winds are too strong- the port too narrow making the approach too unpredictable for the huge ship. They were supposed to be in Germany today.Many passengers are not happy apparently.

That's a real shame. Both ports were excellent. I hope that it drops so they can at least get to Tallinn.

It does rather confirm the view that the Getaway is just too big for the Baltic.

Okay - here are the remainder of the dailies, plus the disembarkation guide with colour tags and the menu for Wine Lovers - The Musical. I've had to split Day 1 and Day 9 into two files to allow for the extra inserts for those days.

All the available shore excursions are in the 1b file, if you're interested in those.

Wine Lovers Menu.pdf

1a.pdf

1b.pdf

Day 6.pdf

Day 7.pdf

Day 8.pdf

Day 9a.pdf

Day 9b.pdf

Disembarkation guide.pdf

Okay - here are the remainder of the dailies, plus the disembarkation guide with colour tags and the menu for Wine Lovers - The Musical. I've had to split Day 1 and Day 9 into two files to allow for the extra inserts for those days.

All the available shore excursions are in the 1b file, if you're interested in those.

[ATTACH]407917[/ATTACH][ATTACH]407918[/ATTACH][ATTACH]407919[/ATTACH][ATTACH]407920[/ATTACH][ATTACH]407921[/ATTACH][ATTACH]407922[/ATTACH][ATTACH]407923[/ATTACH][ATTACH]407924[/ATTACH][ATTACH]407925[/ATTACH]

Thank you Huntingdon1701...these have all been very helpful for planning!!

Did you experience or notice when you were in the Russian museums that people had to check their bags? If so, were small purses also considered bags? What did you do with any belongings that you had with you? Thank you!

Did you experience or notice when you were in the Russian museums that people had to check their bags? If so, were small purses also considered bags? What did you do with any belongings that you had with you? Thank you!

Yes, they had to be checked in the museums. Small purses were generally considered okay, but the large ones that contain everything up to and including the kitchen sink had to be checked. Thick coats also had to be checked in - so no puffer or bomber style coats.

I left my backpack in the minibus and just took my camera, which was fine. The driver stayed with the minibus so items were perfectly safe.