NCL Newbie's Take on the Gem with Haven Upgrade

By the time we got back, we could also see land from our balcony. The boys decided to get some haven pool and hot tub time in, while I enjoyed some balcony time. The boys returned as we were getting closer to land and right in time to see a dolphin bobbing in and out of the water!! That was a balcony highlight!!71ed9a76538410fa605e80cffae98527.jpgfdf9551aa855d894a0df12da9aacd52f.jpgc6f63db1bb29306b4f3d8253b749ff6c.jpg1472ae899047f9b0840eb784aa596ba3.jpgf361857dbc6f4e7c9ddc7d163056b969.jpg70c0776b284f34cf99915a5c2eacebd8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We decided not to take advantage of priority disembarkation because we were hungry for lunch and still trying to finalize what we wanted to do for the day. We called Randy, our butler, and asked him to bring us 2 platters of small sandwiches that he had left for us the night before. The boys loved the mini pbj's, egg salad sandwiches and tuna. We unfortunately were so stuffed from dinner the night before that we never ate the chocolate covered strawberries that Randy left for us. They looked really good!fc635c6e856a44163ced0b30236a9a7e.jpg6188e5d093ef526d24e1f6cea4f2b45b.jpga16eb70966fc3bdf99a389bfb991424e.jpg

What an awesome and well written review. Thanks for sharing with everyone, with such detail.

We have done the Haven on the Jewel class (Gem, Pearl, Jade) twice. Nice experience and hope we get the upgrade offer.

RE: How to learn about the upgrade - there are at least three active threads on the first page or two with all the details.

Look & sounded like all 4 of you are enjoy the Haven suite life with all the amenities & not even "planting" your sea legs on dry land this afternoon ... on our Roll Call, several w. children/teens discussed the waste in stopping there, nobody eager to hop on to do a bus transfer into Orlando area, let alone the parks.

Thanks for getting those Haven menu - one of our niece trying to decide & those pix are beautiful, just as nice as the *Away - and it's more intimate.

Ocean wave/current & sea conditions seemed to look fine so a good chance for making it to GSC, go early/get on the priority tender before the crowd ... then, come back onboard as an option for Haven lunch. Shows in the Stardust are great for the rest of the week, plus you have reserved seating.

Surprised to read about a speedboat in the early morning hours, look at AIS & MarineTraffic data, ship was at least 75 to 100 miles off the Florida coast - kind of "nuts" for such as small boat to be roaming out there ... unless it's law enforcement & possibly USCG doing maritime patrol. A pilot boat did come out to "greet" once we're within sight of PC to help steer the ship into port, but not when it's so far away from land.

So, so glad you are having a good time. I think you see why once you go Haven, it's hard to go back.

I hope your kids are having a blast as well - It's so nice seeing brother who actually seem to like each others' company!

Smooth Sailing on your way home!

Amy

We finally decided to make it a beach day. We headed down to deck 4 to disembark only to be turned around because we were at the exit for crew members! Take note - if you're not using priority disembarkation, passengers disembark on deck 7. [emoji57]

There were taxis conveniently waiting right outside the terminal, and it cost us $13/pp round trip to Cocoa Beach. The taxis drop you off right in front of Ron's Surf Shop, which is the perfect place to pick up bottled water to take along with you, and it's only a block away.

The beach was crowded for Memorial Day, but we were able to rent an umbrella and set up camp not far from the water. The ocean was quite clear (at least compared to back home), and it was the perfect temperature for swimming. The waves were not too rough, and we all agreed that this was a great alternative to the airboat. What a beautiful beach day!

504e112fd2271f9e050360b57958b1ac.jpgc1b6ac8e249b5e2adda6ba9c9b8a30c1.jpg8111af4686b30af632515a5600e45385.jpg429c0ad534cd340a7d323a88e2adaf3d.jpg7102a5d507647f2edeaebd51ea050009.jpg

Not sure what this was, but it looked fun!1c68493feb4ed4cc4ddfea4a36664359.jpg

Look & sounded like all 4 of you are enjoy the Haven suite life with all the amenities & not even "planting" your sea legs on dry land this afternoon ... on our Roll Call, several w. children/teens discussed the waste in stopping there, nobody eager to hop on to do a bus transfer into Orlando area, let alone the parks.

Thanks for getting those Haven menu - one of our niece trying to decide & those pix are beautiful, just as nice as the *Away - and it's more intimate.

Ocean wave/current & sea conditions seemed to look fine so a good chance for making it to GSC, go early/get on the priority tender before the crowd ... then, come back onboard as an option for Haven lunch. Shows in the Stardust are great for the rest of the week, plus you have reserved seating.

Surprised to read about a speedboat in the early morning hours, look at AIS & MarineTraffic data, ship was at least 75 to 100 miles off the Florida coast - kind of "nuts" for such as small boat to be roaming out there ... unless it's law enforcement & possibly USCG doing maritime patrol. A pilot boat did come out to "greet" once we're within sight of PC to help steer the ship into port, but not when it's so far away from land.

The size of the haven really does create a more intimate environment and lends itself to great service. I can't compare to the -away ships since we haven't been on them, but I think your niece will really love the haven on the gem or another jewel class ship.

So, so glad you are having a good time. I think you see why once you go Haven, it's hard to go back.

I hope your kids are having a blast as well - It's so nice seeing brother who actually seem to like each others' company!

Smooth Sailing on your way home!

Amy

Thanks Amy! We are really luck that the boys are such great brothers, though they do have their moments too! [emoji6]

By 5:30, we were getting kind of hungry and decided to head back. We only needed to wait a couple of minutes before a taxi pulled up in front of the surf shop. My husband brought the boys back to the cabin to shower while I got some refreshments so we could cool off.f8c30ccb2f92d43b34414008f532ba34.jpg

Edited by morningstar4

Oh my... I've heard about the crepe stations but not about their SIGNATURE crepes... I may have to go run a few laps now for your heart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

lol....yes - please do! I've been taking the stairs everywhere rather than the elevators, but I don't think that's balancing out the drinks and desserts!

thanks mking! your review was so helpful when we were planning our trip....Patrick is our concierge and Randy is our butler for this cruise, but i read a lot of great things about elvina.

We're really hoping to make it to GSC! Fingers crossed for calm seas. Here is the Moderno's menu for breakfast if you are going to be traveling in the haven:

451116da2c41e4f43f6c06abd34f6608.jpg

Lunch is at Cagney's....will try to get that menu too when I get a chance.

We had Patrick on Gem in December when he was filling in for Elvina who was on vacation at the time. We've had him on the Star as well. He is kind of a quiet guy but does his job well.

What's the name of the pool/courtyard attendant? There was a younger, thin, taller person working there but I've forgotten his name - I know I have it in my posts at the time.

We had Patrick on Gem in December when he was filling in for Elvina who was on vacation at the time. We've had him on the Star as well. He is kind of a quiet guy but does his job well.

What's the name of the pool/courtyard attendant? There was a younger, thin, taller person working there but I've forgotten his name - I know I have it in my posts at the time.

His name is Roberto...we loved him! Yes - Patrick was very quiet.