EVUS Warning for Chinese Citizens

cad_bw

What was going to be the first of many possibly became the first and last after our dream Alaskan cruise became a nightmare when my wife was denied boarding due to a statistical anomaly with a recently implemented automated EVUS enrollment requirement for Chinese passport holders with a 10-year US Visa. My wife holds a valid Chinese Passport, 10-year US Visa, Canada Permanent Resident and has entered the US many times over the past several years without any problems.

We booked a 7-day Alaskan cruise on the HAL Nieuw Amsterdam from May.20/2017 to May.27/2017, embarkation in Vancouver at Canada Place pier. Everything was going smoothly, I had completed online checkin weeks ago, packed days ahead and we had arrived at the port extra early that Saturday morning. After checking in our luggage and we waited in line to be checked-in by HAL. The HAL agent took our security photos, gave us our stateroom keys and told us that my wife would need to complete the EVUS/ESTA enrollment using the computers downstairs near the US Customs agents. He assurred us that was just a minor formality that was introduced recently.

To make a long story short, port officials did not allow my wife to board the ship because she could not complete the EVUS enrollment because the EVUS website calculated that my wife's passport expired in less than 6 months. When planning the cruise we had 7-8 months before her passport expired. But due to work schedules, the cruise date got pushed back until it went over the EVUS cliff. We literally came up short by a couple days.

To make us even feel worse, if we had known about the EVUS enrollment requirement beforehand we could have completed it and there would have been no problems. Once EVUS enrollment is completed, it is good for 2-years or until the passport expires. My head spins at all the possibilities that could have prevented this nightmare. Living in Vancouver, if we had even crossed the border to buy gas in Blaine, she would have been able to complete the EVUS enrollment and been able to board the ship.

After hours of complete frustration, my wife and I decided that I would boarded the ship in order to settle our affairs. We had pre-paid for shore excursions at every Alaskan port, I cancelled all of them. I spent a week on the ship mostly in shock either sitting in our private balcony or aimlessly wandering around the ship, trying to figure out what happened or feeling sad because I knew my wife would have loved all the on-board entertainment, amenities and services.

I do not blame HAL for what happened. They had no control over the situation and had no idea what happened. The front desk called me 4-5 times because they couldn't confirm that my wife was not on the ship. But I can't help but wonder what we could have done if we knew about EVUS earlier. In HAL's Know Before You Go document it mentions ESTA but not EVUS. If the online check-in process was able to flag the EVUS requirement we may have had enough time to either complete the EVUS enrollment or renew her passport.

With so much spare time on-board, I also googled around and found this on the NCL website:

Important Information for Chinese Citizens Cruising in the United States

Effective November 29, 2016, all Chinese passport holders that have a 10 year B1/B2 non-immigrant visa are now required to fill out an Electronic Visa Update System (EVUS) enrollment in order to enter the United States.

In the end none of it matters and HAL lost as much as we did because of very bad luck and timing with EVUS enrollment. This cruise was special to us for many reasons and we had many plans during the cruise but all that come to a halt due to EVUS. Everything would have been perfect if my wife had been able to board the ship. She would have especially loved the cute towel animals the stateroom attendants left every day. With so much spare time on-board I even figured out how to make towel animals and left one with a small token of my appreciation to the stateroom attendants who did a great job in spite of the circumstances.

...cad_bw

towel-octopus.jpg.07c5af7d104cad90719d86743ee51f24.jpg

I'm sorry to hear this. I've lived abroad for over 7 years and if I've learned anything, it's to check, double-check, and triple-check everything related to immigration and traveling, even when I don't think or can't foresee any issues. It's common knowledge amongst expats here that less that 6 months remaining on a passport can cause a lot of grief when traveling. We all know exactly when our passports expire. The expat life isn't an easy one.

That must really be heart breaking. But I am impressed of what you are - not blaming anyone for your unfortunate experience. I hope that your wife gets to experience what you had in the very near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm so so sorry that this happened to you and your wife...just heartbreaking. I also am impressed that although I hear frustration and sadness in your post, there is no blame. Hopefully you both will have another chance at the Alaskan cruise.

I am so sorry this happened to you and your wife and that you had to take your dream cruise alone. I hope that you are able to take the trip together at a future date when your wife gets her passport issues straightened out.

I was also impressed by the fact that you told your cautionary tale without resorting to a rant with accusations, as many others have done on this site.

I am sure you will have saved others from experiencing the situation you encountered.

To make a long story short, port officials did not allow my wife to board the ship because she could not complete the EVUS enrollment because the EVUS website calculated that my wife's passport expired in less than 6 months. When planning the cruise we had 7-8 months before her passport expired. But due to work schedules, the cruise date got pushed back until it went over the EVUS cliff. We literally came up short by a couple days.

From the Holland America website re. passports:

"Holland America Line highly recommends that all guests carry a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the completion date of your travel"

If that recommendation was followed you would not have run into the unfortunate situation. You state that she had 7-8 months left on the passport when you planned the cruise (and then it got pushed but the rule about always about passport validity dates and the end date of the trip.

Thank you for the warning how absolutely critical that "6 month validity" requirement can be for all of us. I always thought that cheated us out of our "10 year passports" since they were really only 9.5 years in practical effect. But regulations are regulations. Archaic or not.

A sad tale for you for sure, but also a charming one to hear how you were able to still enjoy the next best thing to the real thing. Not sure what anyone of us would have done under similar circumstances.

Are you saying we don't need Homeland Security?

T.S.A. = Thousands Standing Around.

Our M.I.5 was warned five times by different Muslims that the Manchester bomber was a potential liability but they did nothing.

In the meantime, every traveller is inconvenienced by so-called security, such as the O.P.s wife. She had a valid visa!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

T.S.A. = Thousands Standing Around.

Our M.I.5 was warned five times by different Muslims that the Manchester bomber was a potential liability but they did nothing.

In the meantime, every traveller is inconvenienced by so-called security, such as the O.P.s wife. She had a valid visa!

I always thought TSA = The Stupid Agency ;)

The requirement for at least 6 months time remaining on ones passport is pretty common and wide spread. While one may get by with less time, it can also cause major problems as discovered by the OP. Not a risk worth running.

The requirement for at least 6 months time remaining on ones passport is pretty common and wide spread. While one may get by with less time, it can also cause major problems as discovered by the OP. Not a risk worth running.

Yes, very true, and in Britain if you renew your passport with six months to go they give (sell) you a new one valid for ten years and six months.