Help. Wedding with ccl on carnival magic

Whitedwarf

Thanks and apologies. It's Cozumel rather than Cancun. CCL say there are no issues. We COULD marry on board but with only being four of us we thought it'd be nice to marry at port. We looked at Island Breeze. I think given the risk of hurricanes we might have to go for on board. :)

Right, but with Cozumel being part of Mexico it almost certainly has the same requirements. CCL might be saying it's no issue because they have a legal process in place to work around it and start processing stuff on your behalf OR you are getting the same license you would get at a marriage at sea, not one in Mexico. If that's they case, that's what you are paying them all that money for. So yes, that would make it worth it; which is why I wouldn't assume it would work that smoothly to arrange it on your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival, as well as Cozumel wedding companies, have procedures in place to make it somewhat easier to meet the Mexico requirements; as you can imagine, these come at a cost and you will still have to meet the requirements. Such as getting your blood test at home, sending it in advance and for 'only' $100 they will have someone translate it and certify it as acceptable for use. Or arranging for your four required witnesses to be in your ceremony. White dwarf, if you really, really want this, please ask all those detailed questions now.

Carnival does not perform weddings at sea. They will perform weddings onboard in a port, but on your itinerary, only in Cozumel. So ask more questions about their backup plan abilities.

I agree with the poster above who suggested having the wedding before the cruise and using the cruise as the honeymoon. Much less difficulty arranging your shoreside, small wedding, either at home or perhaps in Florida.

Right, but with Cozumel being part of Mexico it almost certainly has the same requirements. CCL might be saying it's no issue because they have a legal process in place to work around it and start processing stuff on your behalf OR you are getting the same license you would get at a marriage at sea, not one in Mexico. If that's they case, that's what you are paying them all that money for. So yes, that would make it worth it; which is why I wouldn't assume it would work that smoothly to arrange it on your own.

CCL said this evening

We offer weddings in Cozumel and the only requirement we have to obtain the marriage license is a blood test, we do not require the 3 days. The blood test you will get done in your hometown and the results are needed about 10 days prior to sailing. Weather is very unpredictable but, please keep in mind that depending on the circumstance we will work closely with the couple and verify what option can be offered. If we do miss the port we can offer a symbolic wedding due to the marriage license. We can look into the next port but, we cannot guarantee it as we may not have time to obtain the marriage license and if the next port is one of our wedding ports. We do work with the couple if we come across those challenges, no worries.

CCL said this evening

We offer weddings in Cozumel and the only requirement we have to obtain the marriage license is a blood test, we do not require the 3 days. The blood test you will get done in your hometown and the results are needed about 10 days prior to sailing. Weather is very unpredictable but, please keep in mind that depending on the circumstance we will work closely with the couple and verify what option can be offered. If we do miss the port we can offer a symbolic wedding due to the marriage license. We can look into the next port but, we cannot guarantee it as we may not have time to obtain the marriage license and if the next port is one of our wedding ports. We do work with the couple if we come across those challenges, no worries.

Ok, sounds like they are committing you to a marriage license from Mexico and taking care of the paperwork for you and if you miss the port - you get a 'symbolic' wedding wherever you can make the port. Which btw, is what you would have if you signed your marriage license at home. It's up to you, if you are committed to a Cozumel wedding carnival is prob the way to go. If you are open to a wedding in port prior to debarkation that's an option. Or could sign a marriage license at home and have a symbolic wedding anywhere at any price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

CCL said this evening

We offer weddings in Cozumel and the only requirement we have to obtain the marriage license is a blood test, we do not require the 3 days. The blood test you will get done in your hometown and the results are needed about 10 days prior to sailing. This is what we have been saying above; you will need to obtain and send them the medical tests in advance so they can translate, approve and obtain your license. (No blood tests required in other ports, such as Florida) With Carnival, the cost is included as part of the package. Weather is very unpredictable but, please keep in mind that depending on the circumstance we will work closely with the couple and verify what option can be offered. If we do miss the port we can offer a symbolic wedding due to the marriage license.Which means you will still have to go home (or elsewhere) and have a Legal wedding some days after your trip. BTW, they will keep the money you spent on the wedding package because they will have obtained the unused license, paid for the unused officiant and provided the rest of the now symbolic ceremony. We can look into the next port but, we cannot guarantee it as we may not have time to obtain the marriage license and if the next port is one of our wedding ports. Look at your itinerary: None of the subsequent ports are one of their wedding ports. So they won't be able to provide this as one of your 'options'. We do work with the couple if we come across those challenges, no worries. So far, all their supposed options do not meet your needs or are not possible, so "no worries" is exactly the problem.

Whitedwarf, please, if this is still what you are planning to do, ring them back and say these exact words: "I know you will do the best you can if the port is missed, but my concern is that on my itinerary only Cozumel is listed in the Carnival brochure as a wedding port. I specifically do not want a symbolic ceremony. What legal ceremony can be offered to me if the port of Cozumel is missed? My need is to be legally married sometime during this trip; can you guarantee me this?"

Based on their answers, you will have to decide if the cost is worth it based on the risks. Cozumel is not often missed, but it can and does happen. The only place I can see where they may be able to offer you an alternate, legal wedding is on the return day of your cruise; perhaps shoreside, perhaps very early onboard. If you decide to go with this package, please give yourself plenty of time before your return flight in case this is necessary.

Many thanks for this amazing reply. We are travelling from U.K. and having a pre stay at Orlando so that's possibly something we've could consider. I'm going to ring CCL today. The Island Breeze at Cozumel does have a no sand option I believe. He CAN walk on sand it's just that it's tricky and I wouldn't want him to be uncomfortable. I was hoping someone might have experience of marrying there to give advice really. But this is amazingly helpful :*

Whitedrwarf, I'm a chef and wedding planner with 35 years experience. I live in Texas - very close to Mexico so that is a frequent place my brides choose for weddings. The information I gave you about marrying in Cancun, Mexico is true also for Cozumel, Mexico. You would need a 3 day stay to get married legally there as you need blood tests first and a whole lot of documentation translated into Spanish. IMO, you would be best off to get married in Florida before your cruise as the documentation requirements are much simpler in Florida. Otherwise, get married legally in Scotland and hold a symbolic ceremony in Cozumel. If the Carnival ship's captain can marry you legally that would be another option but Carnival Magic does not have a wedding chapel onboard, so likely your wedding would be in a nightclub or meeting room with no view of the sea (Carnival typically uses the nightclub or the theater for weddings and you don't get to pick the date - they let you know once you are onboard). Here is a video of a wedding on the Carnival Magic:

They used the meeting room which is an inside room with no windows. Those are white boards all along the perimeter of the room. This is also where they usually hold the art auctions and often the "art" is all over the place in that room.

This is JMO, but there are lovely places near beaches around Port Canaveral where you can get married and I gave you the name of a wedding planning company that can help you, you should go with them and use your cruise as your honeymoon. I want to suggest you consider staying in Port Canaveral at the Radisson Resort at the Port. It is a lovely newly renovated resort and not very expensive and it is close to the port, so I think you will be pleased. There is a lovely pool area for your children to enjoy with you. Another good and inexpensive hotel is Homewood Suites by Hilton Cape Canaveral - you can get a 1 bedroom suite with a full kitchen very inexpensively.

BTW, if you want to save money on flowers and keep your wedding bouquet as a momento, I"d suggest you get on Etsy.com and buy a broach bouquet or seashell bouquet as these can be taken on the ship and then taken home after the cruise.

Best wishes on your forthcoming marriage.

Edited by SuiteTraveler