A ship's 'tonnage'?

LuvBowt

41 minutes ago, kasmith2 said:

Joebucks:  so if you look at my chart, the miracle is the least crowded, followed by the Sun?

I believe a @Joebucks was making a point about the ratio not being overemphasized by some people.  If your comparing a ship with a ratio of 34 to one with 36, the design of the vessel is going to have a much bigger impact than that number.  Even bigger differences aren't always accurate, because as has been pointed out spaces not available to passengers (like engine room, galleys, etc) are included in the GT figure and don't always vary linearly from ship to ship.  Furthermore, it is a measure of interior space, so if you looking to find out how crowded the sun deck is your better reading reviews.

That, of course, doesn't even get into changes is passenger loads on different lines/itineraries/etc.

In short, it is a rough estimate that can give some idea when comparing ships, but reviews and first hand accounts will generally give you better information.

3 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

I believe a @Joebucks was making a point about the ratio not being overemphasized by some people.  If your comparing a ship with a ratio of 34 to one with 36, the design of the vessel is going to have a much bigger impact than that number.  Even bigger differences aren't always accurate, because as has been pointed out spaces not available to passengers (like engine room, galleys, etc) are included in the GT figure and don't always vary linearly from ship to ship.  Furthermore, it is a measure of interior space, so if you looking to find out how crowded the sun deck is your better reading reviews.

That, of course, doesn't even get into changes is passenger loads on different lines/itineraries/etc.

In short, it is a rough estimate that can give some idea when comparing ships, but reviews and first hand accounts will generally give you better information.

Correct. Sure it's some indication, but it overrated. People come prepared with a bad attitude because they've read this and the number is low and/or it's not "what it used to be". That doesn't quantify into an actual experience though.

I've been on ships with a great "ratio," but some of my most favorite venues were way too small for the ship. That matters more than generalizations.

• Like 1