Seeing Alaska on your own.

heretohavefun2#

We've done a road trip a couple of times; IMO, it's the only way to go. Our last venture was with another couple with whom we are very close. We did lots of pre-cruise planning [our TA was a great help as he had been to AK numerous times with various cruise lines and had done interior tour, too.] We flew into Anchorage and rented a car at the airport, then, totally jet lagged from the East Coast, headed to our hotel - I think it was Fairfield Inn, one of the Marriott properties. We spent one night there, and the hotel kept our big luggage for the week [we only packed carry-on bags for the road trip]. We used Milepost Magazine, taking turns reading passages as we drove toward Denali. A quick stop at Fred Meyer for Windex [windshield mosquitoes & bugs!!!], wine and assorted snacks and water, then numerous scenic stops along the way.

We spent three nights at Grand Denali Lodge, did the full day into the Park, also white water rafting. The onto Fairbanks for two more nights. Discovery River Boat was fantastic, saw sled dogs, scenic drives, car museum. Then back on the road to North Pole where we bought lots of Christmas decor - and had it shipped home. Spectacular scenery through glaciers as we headed toward Delta. We spent the last night at a B & B in Copper - saw volcanoes in the distance, explored the immediate area, then back on the road, saw the musk ox, and another two nights at Fairfield Inn. We drove to Portage Glacier, Aleyeska and the tram to the top, watched a few whales and locals fishing. On the morning to the cruise, we took a cab to the AK RR station and began our journey to Whittier to meet the ship.

Post-cruise included 4 nights in Vancouver, but that' another great story.

Darcy

Planning a land tour on your own in Alaska is not difficult. You just need to know how much time you have,what interests you, and what your budget is. There's something for everyone in Alaska-- wildlife, scenic drives, flightseeing, hiking, food, history, etc. There are plenty of threads with proposed itineraries and tips on this board. When I was planning my trip, I found the posts by Budget Queen and Mapleleaves to be very helpful. Good luck! I can't wait to go back to Alaska!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lots and lots of people do just that. It's the way I recommend it be done. You can put together a trip with advice from this forum. The TripAdvisor forum for Alaska is another good resource: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska.html

A rental car is the most effective way to travel. It'll give you more options for lodging, dining and touring. The more time you have the better. To include Denali you'll want a minimum of 4 days.

If you are planning for 2017, you'll want to get on it. Car rental prices will be much higher at this late date. If you are planning for 2018, book your rental car in October.

Most people fly into Anchorage. You can do Fairbanks, but then you'll have a one way drop off fee. Cruise ships leave out of Whittier or Seward. You can drop the car in Anchorage and take a train or bus to the port. If you want to keep the car the whole time (and pay the one way drop off fee), Avis is the only rental in Whittier and Hertz is the only rental in Seward.

Lots and lots of people do just that. It's the way I recommend it be done. You can put together a trip with advice from this forum. The TripAdvisor forum for Alaska is another good resource: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska.html

A rental car is the most effective way to travel. It'll give you more options for lodging, dining and touring. The more time you have the better. To include Denali you'll want a minimum of 4 days.

If you are planning for 2017, you'll want to get on it. Car rental prices will be much higher at this late date. If you are planning for 2018, book your rental car in October.

Most people fly into Anchorage. You can do Fairbanks, but then you'll have a one way drop off fee. Cruise ships leave out of Whittier or Seward. You can drop the car in Anchorage and take a train or bus to the port. If you want to keep the car the whole time (and pay the one way drop off fee), Avis is the only rental in Whittier and Hertz is the only rental in Seward.

Thank you , Thank you Thank you.

Very easy to do a land trip DIY .... there are few hwys so it's impossible to get lost, and the hwys are mostly 2 lanes so it's pretty straightforward. I've made several trips to Anchorage where I rented a car and tent camped, or rented an RV, and travelling from 10 days to 2 weeks. I'm a single woman with ZERO sense of direction .... if I can do it, anyone can!

The route to Denali is very straightforward. It's 240 miles from Anchorage so an easy 5 hr drive, sometimes longer due to construction. You stay on hwy 1 until about 40 miles out of Anchorage and then you take Hwy 3 the rest of the way. Easy peasy. You need a minimum of 3 days to visit Denali ... 1 day to get there, another day to take a shuttle bus thru the park, and another day to return to Anchorage. Try to add on a week in order to take advantage of the sights ! So much to see and do. Maybe take a detour to Matanuska Glacier, Independence Mine, or explore the Turnagain Arm just south of Anchorage.

There are some trip reports in the STICKYs above that include DIY land travel. ie a report in 2016 from bulldogmommy.

For land travel, the Alaska forum of tripadvisor is a better resource. Their trip reports are posted under TOP QUESTIONS in the Alaska forum.

After you return your car to Anchorage, you need to get to either Whittier or Seward where the cruise ships depart. Also easy; the Alaska Railroad, bus, cruiseline transfer, several independent transfer companies, or a one-way rental car.

Here is an Alaska Transportation map so you can see how few hwys there are:

http://www.alaska.org/assets/content/maps/Transportation_Map.pdf

The Alaska.org web site has lots of useful info..... destinations, things to do, drive times, scenic drives, destinations, etc

http://www.alaska.org/

Have fun with your planning and research!

p.s. even if it's just a thought for 2018, reserve your car THIS summer in order to get a great deal. Enterpise on Int'l Airport Rd often offers $200 a week. The deals usually start in July for the following summer.

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

I agree, very simple to go on your own. I've been doing multiple times over 20+ years, every year. In my opinion a car is essential. You can see and do much more and real important- make the best use of time. One of my beefs- is the "down" time of some cruise tours, that frankly is at the very large expense of "Alaska'. Most are already too short. Again just my opinion- a week isn't even enough. Go for as long as you can afford. Time is your best friend in Alaska. Many underestimate distances and time needed at destinations.

Do YOUR HOMEWORK, before you start any "planning"/reservations. It's a lot easier to rework over and over on paper. Fine tuning is vital for the best trips.

i agree, very simple to go on your own. I've been doing multiple times over 20+ years, every year. In my opinion a car is essential. You can see and do much more and real important- make the best use of time. One of my beefs- is the "down" time of some cruise tours, that frankly is at the very large expense of "alaska'. Most are already too short. Again just my opinion- a week isn't even enough. Go for as long as you can afford. Time is your best friend in alaska. Many underestimate distances and time needed at destinations.

Do your homework, before you start any "planning"/reservations. It's a lot easier to rework over and over on paper. Fine tuning is vital for the best trips.

thank you so much

I've finally put the finishing touches on our DIY land tour. We're not doing anything long and indepth as we have to get home and back to work..ugh! But, it's going to work for us... :)

We are actually getting OFF the ship and transporting to Anchorage - using A.C.T bus that I reserved at a discount because I bought the tickets back in Oct (Note to anyone planning a cruise for next year...buy those tickets early. They have a 45 day cancellation but that's a 'good' policy for Alaska) We're renting a car - and btw, on that, I have seen our rental rate go DOWN in price over $100 in the last few months. I just keep re-checking, cancelling and rebooking at the lower rate. Doing that takes some time, but $100 is significant.

We're spending our first 'land-based' night in Butte... Butte is off the beaten path. (about 10-12 miles off the main highway...but still on a paved road. ha!! ) Not only is "off the beaten path" one of the things I consider a 'plus' but its actually less expensive BECAUSE its 'out of the way' - and it also has a full kitchen and washer/dryer IN the cabin. We'll stop at WalMart in Anchorage for groceries...and I'll come off the ship with LOTS of laundry. This cabin will be exactly what we need that first night.

The next day, we'll drive north toward Denali - spend the next 2 nights in Healy and go to Denali N.P. Then we head back to Wasilla - a little time to relax (as those days getting to and through Denali will be long and very 'full'. I'd like to run by the Iditarod Headquarters. It's a small, low-key place but it's free and there's a small museum there about the race/winners, etc...and you can see the puppies. :)

We'll head down to Anchorage the next morning and will have some time to walk part of the Tony Knowles Trail...spend some time in Chugach St. Park...and get on a flight that night...

It will be somewhat of a whirlwind trip, but we'll see Denali and some of Alaska...and get home on Friday with the weekend to recoup before work on Monday morning....

It will work for us! :)

Edited by rgmacm

I've finally put the finishing touches on our DIY land tour. We're not doing anything long and indepth as we have to get home and back to work..ugh! But, it's going to work for us... :)

We are actually getting OFF the ship and transporting to Anchorage - using A.C.T bus that I reserved at a discount because I bought the tickets back in Oct (Note to anyone planning a cruise for next year...buy those tickets early. They have a 45 day cancellation but that's a 'good' policy for Alaska) We're renting a car - and btw, on that, I have seen our rental rate go DOWN in price over $100 in the last few months. I just keep re-checking, cancelling and rebooking at the lower rate. Doing that takes some time, but $100 is significant.

We're spending our first 'land-based' night in Butte... Butte is off the beaten path. (about 10-12 miles off the main highway...but still on a paved road. ha!! ) Not only is "off the beaten path" one of the things I consider a 'plus' but its actually less expensive BECAUSE its 'out of the way' - and it also has a full kitchen and washer/dryer IN the cabin. We'll stop at WalMart in Anchorage for groceries...and I'll come off the ship with LOTS of laundry. This cabin will be exactly what we need that first night.

The next day, we'll drive north toward Denali - spend the next 2 nights in Healy and go to Denali N.P. Then we head back to Wasilla - a little time to relax (as those days getting to and through Denali will be long and very 'full'. I'd like to run by the Iditarod Headquarters. It's a small, low-key place but it's free and there's a small museum there about the race/winners, etc...and you can see the puppies. :)

We'll head down to Anchorage the next morning and will have some time to walk part of the Tony Knowles Trail...spend some time in Chugach St. Park...and get on a flight that night...

It will be somewhat of a whirlwind trip, but we'll see Denali and some of Alaska...and get home on Friday with the weekend to recoup before work on Monday morning....

It will work for us! :)

Thank you , Thank you Thank you....how did you find the cabin..

I found it online...then called and talked to them....asked a lot of questions. Reviews on TripAdvisor said they had some problems with scalding hot water from the water heater and that concerned me. She explained what the problem was...and how they had rectified it. I was satisfied with the answer and booked on the phone. :) It's Buttes Bethel Farm B&B.

Oh...the other thing I liked is that they will take 1 night reservations during the week (2 nt minimum on weekends...) So many of the cabins with kitchens have a 2 nt minimum...some even 3 night....all the time. Though I'd LOVE to have 2-3 nights there, that just wasn't feasible for us.

Edited by rgmacm

I found it online...then called and talked to them....asked a lot of questions. Reviews on TripAdvisor said they had some problems with scalding hot water from the water heater and that concerned me. She explained what the problem was...and how they had rectified it. I was satisfied with the answer and booked on the phone. :) It's Buttes Bethel Farm B&B.

Oh...the other thing I liked is that they will take 1 night reservations during the week (2 nt minimum on weekends...) So many of the cabins with kitchens have a 2 nt minimum...some even 3 night....all the time. Though I'd LOVE to have 2-3 nights there, that just wasn't feasible for us.

thank you

Although I see many posts stating car rental prices go up, our August 2017 one-way rental is now less than half the price it was when I first booked last September. And there is no one-way fee.

We also planned our own inland trip before a cruise. We are purposefully not going to Denali since we live in a tourist area and try to avoid the hot tourist spots when we travel. We'll enjoy the serenity of the lesser known mountains and trails. Bottom line - plan the trip that works for you.

We also planned our own inland trip before a cruise. We are purposefully not going to Denali since we live in a tourist area and try to avoid the hot tourist spots when we travel. We'll enjoy the serenity of the lesser known mountains and trails. Bottom line - plan the trip that works for you.

You have made some very wrong assumptions- with "hot tourist spot". Denali is a top area to see and enjoy and the only place that has the "tourists" is Glitter Gulch. One mile away you can be in solitude. Not an accurate detail to support not going there.

Getting INTO the park is the highlight.- with endless scenery, beauty and wildlife potential. And "tourists" of no issue with 90 miles of distance and the ability to get out at any point.

Has anyone ever gone into Alaska and rented a car and driven to the Denali and then drove back to catch the ship...

We are looking at going up and doing it on our own instead of a cruise tours.. ANY advice is welcome..:cool:

Our June of '16 cruise was NB from Vancouver to Seward. Personally, I'm not a huge cruise fan, but for our first Alaska visit it just felt like the easiest and most efficient way to, at a minimum, see the SE part of the state. Since I'm more of a fan of doing things myself and exploring, I wanted the second week to be the land portion and not be restricted with anyone's schedule.

We rented a vehicle from ANC and drove to Wasilla to stop off at the Walmart there. Grab some food and headed to Healy, AK. We were in Healy (just north of Denali) for three days. Day one we had excellent weather and did the shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center. A must do trip in my opinion. I called and got the three days for two. Get to the ticket booth early on the first day if the weather is great and cancel 24 hours prior to get a refund on the second day you paid for. Second day I hike a bit in the park to a nice overlook of the park buildings/area. Went and got the wife and we made our lunches and went back to the park to eat lunch at the train station and just explore around the area. The third day was a rain day, so we decided to take the drive to Fairbanks to see the museum at the university and to just say we had been to Fairbanks.

We then had two full days in Anchorage. On the way down we stopped in Talkeetna which is a cool little town with various shops and restaurants. While in Anchorage we checked out some parks, the downtown area, Eagle River Nature Center, and Girdwood. I hiked the Flattop Mountain/Glen Alps trail which provided amazing views of Anchorage. In Girdwood we hiked the Winner Creek Gorge Trail (the portion from Crow Creek Road, not the ski resort).

It was a great trip and we were very lucky that the weather was great when it counted. I'd highly recommend doing the land portion on your own. So much freedom that way.

You have made some very wrong assumptions- with "hot tourist spot". Denali is a top area to see and enjoy and the only place that has the "tourists" is Glitter Gulch. One mile away you can be in solitude. Not an accurate detail to support not going there.

Getting INTO the park is the highlight.- with endless scenery, beauty and wildlife potential. And "tourists" of no issue with 90 miles of distance and the ability to get out at any point.

To each his/her own opinion. I personally disagree with many of your posts and wanted to offer a different opinion. Doesn't make me wrong, just different. I'm sure we both enjoy our vacations.