Is my ATM card a Chip and Pin?

My bank ATM card has a chip and I have a PIN number to withdraw from ATM machines here at home. Will that work for transit ticket machines in Europe? Is it a good choice?

If it is a Visa or MasterCard the answer is it will most likely work.

You get some odd situations, such as the ticket machines in Lisbon only taking Portuguese cards, but they are rare.

By the way the ticket machines normally have a language selection choice, but it is often a good idea to already know what sort of ticket you want to buy.

For British people, the zip code at American petrol stations is apparently the 3 digits from the middle of your postcode followed by three zeros.
Or two trailing zeroes (to make up the first five digits of a US ZIP code), if your UK postcode already has 3 digits!

Off-topic (but the rest of you started it :p), ..........

Yes in the States the pumps at some gas stations require a zip-code. We didn't know the formula (but the magnet & G have come up with two alternatives :confused:) so we'd either go elsewhere or pay cash or card in the kiosk, which has to be done before the pump will operate.

One time we simply left our card with the attendant in the kiosk while we filled - a few weeks later our card issuer queried a small but suspicious transaction. Which just happened to be in the same town as that gas station.

So in the US we no longer let our card out of our sight. If the pump wants a zipcode we go elsewhere if we want to fill, or pay by cash or card in the kiosk for as much gas as we know the tank will hold.

America leads the world in so many ways, but on card fraud it's waaay behind.

JB :)

... (but the magnet & G have come up with two alternatives :confused:) ...
I thought insanemagnet and I were saying the same thing, and I was just teasing about a typo. (Or that's what I thought it was.)

The first part of a US ZIP code has 5 digits, and 5 digits is what these machines expect.

So if your UK postcode is (say) SW1A 1AA and therefore only has two digits, you'd make it up to 5 digits by adding trailing zeroes: 11000.

But if your UK postcode has 3 digits, for example SO18 2NL, you only need two trailing zeroes: 18200.