Renting a vehicle in Cozumel

tncruisergurl

Take the taxi.

Man, if you're not a local and very familiar with the rules of the road and something happens,,,,, you are royally screwed.

I'm not even talking about a severe car crash. Just a small minor incident where there is no damage. The tourista police get involved and if they cant solve the problem, then the federales get involved.

You can bet your sweet bippy that you are going to lose the battle.

Take the taxi.

Man, if you're not a local and very familiar with the rules of the road and something happens,,,,, you are royally screwed.

I'm not even talking about a severe car crash. Just a small minor incident where there is no damage. The tourista police get involved and if they cant solve the problem, then the federales get involved.

You can bet your sweet bippy that you are going to lose the battle.

Agreed. I would never rent a car in Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way too many horror stories about renting vehicles in Cozumel. Take a taxi.

aca17d0c453c09e368d1424f22bd1494.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the helpful picture. Those prices are from the port, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed. I would never rent a car in Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We always rent a car in Cozumel. You just have to rent from a reputable company, get the insurance and drive cautiously. Never in 7 trips have we had an issue renting and driving a car there. On the other hand scooters we will not rent. Friends did that and it was not a good experience

We always rent a car in Cozumel. You just have to rent from a reputable company, get the insurance and drive cautiously. Never in 7 trips have we had an issue renting and driving a car there. On the other hand scooters we will not rent. Friends did that and it was not a good experience

We have rented scooters twice and had no incidents. This time we are taking the kids, so we are considering renting a jeep or dune buggy. Any advice here? With the scooters, we have just driven around the island going to various bars and beaches. That would likely be the plan with the jeep as well. Thanks in advance.

We have rented scooters twice and had no incidents. This time we are taking the kids, so we are considering renting a jeep or dune buggy. Any advice here? With the scooters, we have just driven around the island going to various bars and beaches. That would likely be the plan with the jeep as well. Thanks in advance.

As I said rent from a reputable company. They have Hertz, Enterprise but we used Isis ( I know the name leaves much to be desired) . The lady who owns it is easy to work with and advised us to call her if there was a situation the police had to get involved with and she would be able to help. I do know they disable the 4 wheel drive on the Jeep's and insurance won't cover if you get it stuck trying to go Jeeping. Your plan of renting a Jeep to do beaches and bars should be fine. FYI most are stick shifts

We had a tour guide tell us once to never rent a car in Cozumel. They said it doesn't matter how much insurance you have on the vehicle, the other party in a fender bender will demand cash and the cops will hold you until you miss your ship if you can't pay. She told us that all you need to get a license there is a birth certificate and a pulse. After watching the way people drive there, especially the ones on scooters, I have to believe she was telling the truth.

• 1 month later...
As I said rent from a reputable company. They have Hertz, Enterprise but we used Isis ( I know the name leaves much to be desired) . The lady who owns it is easy to work with and advised us to call her if there was a situation the police had to get involved with and she would be able to help. I do know they disable the 4 wheel drive on the Jeep's and insurance won't cover if you get it stuck trying to go Jeeping. Your plan of renting a Jeep to do beaches and bars should be fine. FYI most are stick shifts

Does Isis offer pick-up/drop-off at the pier? I don't see Jeeps on her website but see VW convertible which might be even nicer.

I would NEVER rent a car in Mexico. Remember that it is completely opposite law in Mexico vs what it is in US. In Mexico you are presumed guilty until proven innocent. I've read horror stories about people being involved in minor fender benders and the tourism police demanding cash on the spot or being hauled away to jail. This is one of the worst I've read. I would never take that risk. https://www.baptistmessenger.com/from-luxury-cruise-to-mexican-jail-to-salvation-experience/