The National Shrine of Saint Thérèse, Juneau

Mermaid-ooxx

We rented a car for the 6 of us for $96 for the day. We went to the glacier first and then to the shrine. It didn't take too long to get there but it was a little rainy and we didn't stay very long. It was nice and got some pretty pictures. We ended up taking the car back around 1:30 even though we had rented it for the whole day.

We are also renting a car in Juneau for late June crushed.

Planning on doing glacier, Shine of St Theresa. Also would like to stop at Aku Bay for a quick look, maybe also the Alaskan Brewery for a quick tour and tasting. We wanted to go to the Salmon Hatchery on our way back downtown. But it appears if we do all of the above we won't be back until 3:30 which doesn't give much time for walking around downtown. Trying o figure out what to drop. Glacier and Shrne are the important things to do with a car.

We usually rent a car in Juneau and use it before or after a whale watch tour. We were there 2 weeks ago and got a rental at the airport for $18. The Shrine is certainly worth the drive and beyond that is Eagle Beach. It doesn’t take the entire day so you can also use the car to go to Mendenhall Glacier, Glacier Gardens, hatchery, etc

We are also renting a car in Juneau for late June crushed.

Planning on doing glacier, Shine of St Theresa. Also would like to stop at Aku Bay for a quick look, maybe also the Alaskan Brewery for a quick tour and tasting. We wanted to go to the Salmon Hatchery on our way back downtown. But it appears if we do all of the above we won't be back until 3:30 which doesn't give much time for walking around downtown. Trying o figure out what to drop. Glacier and Shrne are the important things to do with a car.

Do you have something specific to see downtown? Frankly, 'downtown' is nothing but jewelry and tee shirt shops. If you want to shop, then you can schedule time, but if you think there's 'sights', they're limited. Also, if you think shops close at 5, they don't. They close when the last ship leaves, which is generally around eleven.

I've traveled a lot, and I consider the shrine one of the loveliest places on earth. Walk the trails, walk around the chapel, check the ocean for whales and seals.

Galeforce,

I originally booked a car though Avis for our day in Juneau for four of us (my DH, Frantic and her DH). But when they closed down their intown location I booked Juneau Car Rentals instead. The downside is I will have to walk about a mile from where the Seabourn tender drops is off to pick up the car. You could walk there and then come back to pick up your Dad and the others on your way out of town. In any event since we are doing it before you I (or Julie) will let you know how it works out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also rented a car. Had time to do Mendenhall Glacier including walking a couple of short trails & going down to the waterfall, drove out the highway where we pulled over and watched a young bear eating dandelions on the side of the road for a while, then on to Glacier Garden for the full tour, out to the Shrine for some quiet reflective time, stopped at Skaters Cabin for pictures, stopped at a small free arboretum along the way walked around and took pictures, next stopped for lunch where we saw bald eagles, then drove over to Douglas Island to see the wall of repurposed skies made to look like the front of a house, then on to Alaska Brewery for a free tasting. Never felt rushed and had plenty of time to enjoy all.

If you are interested in seeing pictures the link to my blog is in my signature and our trip is broken down daily and by each attraction along the 16 day trip. Just search Alaska in the blog and you will find many posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can those of you renting share the location/ cost etc please. Is it tricky to get to the airport. There are four of us and my dad is 75

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always rent from Juneau Car Rental at the AJ gate. The cost is about $65 for a car a few years old. Their cars are older than the national chains, but I have never had any problems. I enjoy walking/hiking, but my husband does not, so I walk over to the car rental lot (takes about 15-20 minutes), and then pick my husband up at the dock. With a cell phone, I call him when I'm leaving the lot, and he is outside waiting for me.

When there is a ship at the AJ Dock there is also a bus that transports passengers between the ship and the tram area. It’s been $3 in the past. Works when you’re going to pick up or drop off the car at Juneau Car Rental. It’s a nice walk, not so nice in the rain.

Just came back. We rented car from Juneau.with taxes it was $67.00. went to Mendenhall glacier, awesome, Shrine, beautiful then drove to Eagle Beach. On the way back saw a bear crossing the road! Drove around downtown, stopped at St Nicholas church and returned car. Ate at Tracy's. Best king crab. We took cab to car rental. 10$ with tip and walked back which was a little tough after all the other walking we did. Next time would take cab back but walking is doable, all in all one of our best days