Berlin to Warnemunde

we are booked on a Baltic cruise next year from Warnemunde

planning a few days pre cruise in Berlin

husband has walking difficulties so trying to find an easy way to get from central Berlin to Warmemunde with luggage

contacted SPB and they quoted 800 euros for transfer!!!!!!!

surely there must be a cheaper alternative!

Yes, you can take the train. Hubby and I did it just this May with friends.

We took the S1 from Berlin to Oranienburg. A regional train from Oranienburg to Rostock, and the S1 again from Rostock to Warnemunde. It was roughly 3.5 hours, including transfer time. We bought the tickets online in advance. It cost us 205 Euros, round trip, for five adults.

Having written that, you should know that the time to walk from the station to the cruise ship is roughly ten minutes (all on flat terrain), and there are stairs going in and out of the station that you will have to negotiate. All of this is perfectly fine if you are able-bodied and can carry your luggage, but I don't imagine it would be so otherwise. Therefore, I would recommend the train option only if you can find a cab from the station to the ship. I didn't see any at the station when we got off, but I recall seeing a tourist information booth at the station so there might be someone there who can assist with that.

Edited by EllieR

husband has walking difficulties so trying to find an easy way to get from central Berlin to Warmemunde with luggage

Hi, as the previous poster said it is possible by train but you can do it without changing trains. With walking difficulties and carrying luggage I would suggest a taxi from your hotel to the Berlin Hbf (main station), the Regional Express from the Berlin Hbf to the Rostock Hbf and a taxi from the Rostock Hbf direct to the cruise terminal in Warnemuende. The taxi costs about 25euros, more expensive than taking the S1 from Rostock but you go directly from the train station to the ship. There are sometimes taxis at the Warnemuende station but not always.

For full details of the train schedules and special fares please see the Berlin and ticket pages on my web site.

Happy cruising :),

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Yes, there is a much cheaper alternative and we have done it. It is a piece of cake! :) Note that we did not change trains - there are direct express trains from Berlin Hbf to Rostock and there are discounted train fares with variable prices depending on the day of the week that you are traveling. http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Since you are not traveling until next year, you have plenty of time to check-out the fares and get the best one available.

Since your husband has difficulty walking, I would suggest that you taxi from your hotel in Berlin to the train station (Berlin Hbf). We booked our taxi to Berlin Hbf though our hotel concierge.

A taxi from the Rostock train station directly to your cruise ship would eliminate the need to walk from the Warnemunde train station to the cruise ship and there definitely are taxi ranks at the Rostock train station (not sure about taxi ranks at the Warnemunde station). Taxi from Rostock Hbf to Warnemunde Cruise center took about 25 - 30 minutes and cost 25 - 30 euros (can't remember exact amount but know that it was not more than 30 euros).

FWIW - we did it for 2 - cost (including taxi fare) was just under 100 euros total.

thanks for the suggestions

hiring a car is out-no way am I driving in a busy city centre on the wrong side of the road!

even if picked up car on Berlin outskirts would still have expense of taxi to get there

The train is possible but am concerned about steps and of course 2 sets taxis either end of train

I got a quote from a taxi company for 280 euros for door to door with luggage in a minivan-may look at getting another couple from our roll call to split the cost and that would work out about the same as train

where on earth did SPB come up with 800 euros?

that didn't even include an included guided tour!