Oosterdam dining time changes for this week

DAllenTCY

You're welcome everyone!!:)

So if the late seating will now start at 8 and end at 9:00, what the heck are they trying to accomplish?? Instead of everyone showing up at 8:00 and being all sat at once, are they hoping that everyone will spread themselves out over the hour?

And the servers are going to "initiate" discussions to the guests about "timing" and "plans" for subsequent evenings? That's just what I want, someone trying to tell me how to make this work, when I didn't want it in the first place!!! :p I bet the servers are thrilled with this idea.

Doesn't the powers in Seattle know that they already had "Open or Leisure Dining"? It is called the LIDO BUFFETT!! :rolleyes:

Doesn't the powers in Seattle know that they already had "Open or Leisure Dining"? It is called the LIDO BUFFETT!

That is almost, word for word, what I said to Joe a week ago. His response back was that Seattle had received many requests for a change in the main dining room schedule and that they were trying to respond. I inquired as to what constituted "many" and never got a clear answer.

Just got off the Nov. 26 sailing of the Oosterdam. Although it is true that there are now 2 dining times (5:30 to 6:00 and 7:45 to 9:00pm), you still had an assigned table. We had the early seating and ate at our assigned table with the same waiter every night. The only difference was that you could come it at anytime between 5:30 and 6:00 instead of only at 6:00.

We actually thought it was convenient, and most people showed up by 6:00.

That is almost, word for word, what I said to Joe a week ago. His response back was that Seattle had received many requests for a change in the main dining room schedule and that they were trying to respond. I inquired as to what constituted "many" and never got a clear answer.

"Many requests" - An attempt to justify the marketing dept's latest brilliant idea. :rolleyes:

"If you can't dazzle them with brillance baffle them with bull." W.C. Fields

It's good to see a comment from someone who actually was aboard the big O. In theory, I don't like the idea of what I called "Hobson's Choice Dining" in a prior post; but I haven't tried it. Maybe I'll like it if I try it. Your input indicates that maybe there's at least a nuggest of good in what most posters seem to dislike (without trying it).

Don't be afraid to keep posting, even if people disagree with you or "flame" you. Even Gizmo, Stafford's Girl, and Rev. Neal started with a first post, and look how many they have now. (Actually even more, since postings prior to about two years ago were wiped out when the CC boards were updated.) Everyone's views are welcome, especially first hand experiences.

I wonder how they would handle it if only ONE person or ONE couple showed up any given evening at a table for six? Would they begin seating others there as the time got later? If there was only a solo traveler seated at the table on a given night, would they offer him/her the opportunity to move to another table, as they sometimes do in traditional dining.

night.

Blue skies ...

--rita

One of the nights we were alone at the table for 6 and they did not seat anyone at our table. I think our table mates were at the Pinnicle. There was even a man eating alone at his assigned table. Eating alone can happen even with traditional dining if your table mates eat at the Lido or alternate restaurant.

The last time I was left by myself at a table the Area Supervisor invited me, if I wished, to sit at another table. I had a great time, and am glad I did, but I wouldn't want that to be a normal, every night occurrence ... not unless the switch were permanent (i.e., I was moved and stayed there).

If others don't want to eat with me, that's THEIR loss.

Doesn't the powers in Seattle know that they already had "Open or Leisure Dining"? It is called the LIDO BUFFETT!!

I agree with you wholeheartedly. And as someone who has frequently eaten dinner in the Lido, I can attest that it is not a shoddy alternative. There are candles on the tables, linen tablecloths, and a waiter brings your main entree to your table. I believe there is tableside wine and beverage service too. It's a great alternative ... in my opinion, nothing second-class about it ... for someone who is just too tired to endure a two-hour meal in the dining room, or who maybe just doesn't feel like getting dressed up that night ... especially if it is formal.

I can't imagine how this whole "experiment" is gonna play out. It would seem to me that HAL is trying to find a strategy that will keep everyone happy, and as a result it will really please no one. If they want "leisure dining," then it should be entirely flexible ... like on NCL. If they want traditional, then they should keep everything as it is. I can't imagine how much work that is gonna be for the waiters with people arriving at different times within the same half-hour period. You'll have people all on different courses. Not very conducive to relaxed dining and good conversation. And then you're gonna have a poor waiter having to serve a large table with maybe only one person seated at it because the rest of the folks at that table decided to dine at the Pinnacle that night. And, unless he knows for sure that those folks are not coming, they can't really seat others at that table because they don't know if the assigned diners are gonna show up or not.

I say keep the main dining rooms the way they are now, and maybe expand the dinnertime service in the Lido to accommodate a totally freestyle dining concept.

Blue skies ...

--rita

The last time I was left by myself at a table the Area Supervisor invited me, if I wished, to sit at another table. I had a great time, and am glad I did, but I wouldn't want that to be a normal, every night occurrence ... not unless the switch were permanent (i.e., I was moved and stayed there).

If others don't want to eat with me, that's THEIR loss.

That's how it worked on Princess too. Our waiters served three or four large tables, and some nights there would only be a couple at each table. If the diners wished, they could ask to move around within the same station, and the waiters were more than happy to allow it. It made their jobs easier.

Don't worry, Rev ... if we ever get to sail together, I'd be honored to share a table with you. And, I promise, I'll "gussie up" on formal night too. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Greetings,

My wife and I were on the November 26th Oosterdam sailing and, sadly, we had to debark a few days ago. We have sailed HAL 4 times and have always requested a table for two and always received it. We had the early seating time of 5:30 - 6:00 pm and had no problem with it. For us, it meant being a little less rushed getting ready for dinner knowing that we didn't have to be to dinner at an exact time. Of course, as mentioned earlier, dining for two is not as complicated as it is for larger groups. As a twosome, we are fine with either arrangement. I did discuss it with our dining room steward. According to him, the 5:30 - 6:00 pm window is not really a problem but the 7:45 - 9:00 pm window is complicated because he has different tables on different courses throughout the evening. I can see where that could make his job more difficult.

Hullo Rita, Looking forward to Jan 5th, even though I have only just got back from a cruise on Sunday. Heard from a neighbour (so this is hearsay as you legal people would put it) that she was on HAL Nov 13, got to cabin, had card for the first seating with table number, went to dining room NO SUCH TABLE, put to a table for 7 but no one else came, Next night went to the same table, it was full, so they got sent to another table. It went on like that all week, they never knew where they would end up.

Like you I hope that does not happen to me, or I will be REALLY REALLY MAD. I am strange that way, I think any business should be truthful in its advertising and keep any written promise.

By the way I stayed at the Sheraton Nov 19th and will be there Jan 5, found it very comfortable, breakfast buffet was yummy, wonderful waffles.

See you Jan 6th

Lynn

Hullo Rita, Looking forward to Jan 5th, even though I have only just got back from a cruise on Sunday. Heard from a neighbour (so this is hearsay as you legal people would put it) that she was on HAL Nov 13, got to cabin, had card for the first seating with table number, went to dining room NO SUCH TABLE, put to a table for 7 but no one else came, Next night went to the same table, it was full, so they got sent to another table. It went on like that all week, they never knew where they would end up.

Like you I hope that does not happen to me, or I will be REALLY REALLY MAD. I am strange that way, I think any business should be truthful in its advertising and keep any written promise.

By the way I stayed at the Sheraton Nov 19th and will be there Jan 5, found it very comfortable, breakfast buffet was yummy, wonderful waffles.

See you Jan 6th

Lynn

Joining us for dinner on the 5th, aren't you? We still have to pick a restaurant, but I think we're gonna wind up at Denny's.

I don't think we have to worry about this sort of dining room mess happening on our cruise. It's too long an itinerary. I'm sure they'll have everything sorted out as far as table assignments long before we even step onboard. We'll be fine and will have an AWESOME cruise!

Blue skies ... January 5th will be here before we know it!

--rita

Just got off the Nov. 26 sailing of the Oosterdam. Although it is true that there are now 2 dining times (5:30 to 6:00 and 7:45 to 9:00pm), you still had an assigned table. We had the early seating and ate at our assigned table with the same waiter every night. The only difference was that you could come it at anytime between 5:30 and 6:00 instead of only at 6:00.

We actually thought it was convenient, and most people showed up by 6:00.

Glad it worked out well for you.

Welcome to the Board.....Nice to "meet 'cha" :)

HI. We were also on the Nov. 26th sailing of Oosterdam and had a fabulous time! We had the early dining 5:30-6:00 pm and there were 4 of our group at a table for 7. We really enjoyed meeting our other 3 tablemates. They didn't always join us each night and one night they started eating right at 5:30 as they had something special to attend and we didn't arrive until almost 6:00. This was absolutely no problem as our waiter just started our courses and continued with theirs. We did not have to "catch up" nor did they have to slow down. We enjoyed their company and conversation. We always had the same waiter and wine steward. As a side note, we quite liked the wine packages available on HAL. We purchased one and each night at dinner the wine steward chose a wine from it after the 4 of us had decided which entree we were having. This was very nice!

Ciana:)

One of the nights we were alone at the table for 6 and they did not seat anyone at our table. I think our table mates were at the Pinnicle. There was even a man eating alone at his assigned table. Eating alone can happen even with traditional dining if your table mates eat at the Lido or alternate restaurant.

Yeah, it can happen ... that's true. However, with traditional dining, the dining room doors "close" at a certain time ... usually 15 minutes after seating time. At that time, the person stuck at a table alone can be invited (or can ask) to sit at another table in her waiters' same station, and thus she'll have dining companions for that evening. But, with this "open arrival window" scheme of HAL's, there is no way to move people to another table to dine with others ... not unless someone at that table, or the waitstaff, knows in advance that others are not gonna be arriving late. So, the solo diner left at one table is pretty much stuck dining alone that evening.

Also, as a sidenote ... I think I would be a bit upset if all of my tablemates had plans to eat at the Pinnacle the next night and never bothered to mention those plans to me. At least if I knew in advance that I would be dining alone, I would have the option of skipping the dining room entirely that next evening if I chose.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Just catching up after a few days away from the boards.....withdrawl...:(

I am finding it quite interesting that there have been several people who speak of how much they like personal choice dining. Many of these people who are raving about how much they like it, are also the same ones who are saying "We ask for a table for two, at the same table with the same stewards at the same time each night." Well to me, that sounds like traditional dining.

I am having a tough time coming up with an analogy, but I guess it would be like walking into McDonalds and saying I don't want a "Tradional" Big Mac, I want my "personal choice"..... two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.:confused: A Big Mac no matter how you slice it.

just my 2 cents

What's a Big Mac? ;)

two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun

oops. Just noticed the wink. Too late to back out. :o

Notice that this test is being held exclusively on a Vista-class ship? The exact class of ship that is most likely to have more new cruisers than the other classes? Less likely to have the more traditional cruiser?

Doesn't that skew the results? Certainly it's not a valid random sample of the HAL cruising population. Or even a valid haphazard sample, for that matter!

Notice that this test is being held exclusively on a Vista-class ship? The exact class of ship that is most likely to have more new cruisers than the other classes? Less likely to have the more traditional cruiser?

Doesn't that skew the results? Certainly it's not a valid random sample of the HAL cruising population. Or even a valid haphazard sample, for that matter!

I was thinking the same thing. It sure does skew the results.

Archived