Specialty Restaurant Reservations

Vyx

For those of you that have cruised with Viking on the standard veranda cabins (no restaurant reservations until being on board), how difficult was it to secure reservations at Manfredi's or the Chef's table? The restaurants look very appealing but I'm afraid I might be left out!

Thank you all for the help! If it was up to my partner and I, I think we'd like to eat at those places as much as possible.

You can certainly try but you probably won't be able to make them all at once. They do try to make sure that everyone gets a chance to eat in the specialty restaurants and Manfred'is is proving to be more popular than the Chef's Table.

The Chef's Table is a fixed menu that changes every third night. That is one of the reasons that the reservation line can be a bit slow on embarkation day; people are checking out the menus and deciding what which ones they want--or don't want.

We made reservations at Manfredi's as often as possible, I believe we even made 3 at one time once. We went with what was available. If you have a party of more than 2 there are more slots available. The person at the World Cafe asked us if we had other people because she had other nights available for larger tables. We were not interested in Chef's Table as the one menu we were interested in, French, was only on the first night of our 22 night cruise. We don't eat seafood but had been told they would substitute the entree. All of the other menus were seafood heavy and not something we would eat. If you check every day you'll get in!

If one cannot eat shellfish, and doesn't drink wine, is Chef's Table even worth doing?

That answer is up to you. Not all dishes are shellfish. I'm not a wine drinker on a daily basis but I did with Chef's Table because I was there for the complete experience. They can accommodate your needs. They can adapt to allergies and the like. I saw a completely different entree being served at one time when I was there. You could sample the wine and then have tea if you want. The restaurant is called 'specialty' and it even has special right in the title. It means it is probably not something that happens all the time and since there is no extra charge, what can it hurt? The reservations will be available at sometime during the cruise so check out the menus that will be served while you are on board and plan for that rotation.

Where do you go to make reservations when you get on board?

Thanks.

On the port side of World Cafe there is a table at the entrance where reservations can be made for Chef's Table and Manfredi's. Available at Breakfast and Lunch. They will have the menus to peruse to aid in choosing the night you want.

You can certainly try but you probably won't be able to make them all at once. They do try to make sure that everyone gets a chance to eat in the specialty restaurants and Manfred'is is proving to be more popular than the Chef's Table.

We were told at the world cafe we could make one reservation at a time. My sense was that they might have been considering cabin class, but I can't verify that.

I went back to our cabin and made reservations on the TV.

We were told at the world cafe we could make one reservation at a time. My sense was that they might have been considering cabin class, but I can't verify that.

I went back to our cabin and made reservations on the TV.

Once you are on board ship you can make reservations. Cabin class is only important before you board.

On the port side of World Cafe there is a table at the entrance where reservations can be made for Chef's Table and Manfredi's. Available at Breakfast and Lunch. They will have the menus to peruse to aid in choosing the night you want.

Better yet GO to the specialty restaurant desk itself and you'll get more seatings. The woman at WC told us. "You already HAVE your quota of reservations" Went to Manfredis mentioned this and he replied, "I decide who gets reservations. What would you like?"

Regardless of cabin, after the 1st day or 2 rush everyone I spoke to had no problem getting multiple specialty reservations. Talking Veranda class rooms.

If one cannot eat shellfish, and doesn't drink wine, is Chef's Table even worth doing?

As Dauntless points out, it is up to you but I will point out a few more things about the restaurant. It is a lot quieter in there than in the MDR and the pace is a bit slower as well. If you want a relatively quiet dinner hour, it is a good choice. Viking understands allergies and other dietary restrictions and can adjust things accordingly, but still basically, Chef's Table is a fixed menu.

Also, if you are going to ask for changes, I suggest that you arrange for them in advance, so that when you arrive, all the hassle of negotiating what you can and cannot eat has already been taken care of before you arrive and you can enjoy the same relaxed evening as everyone else. Do not try to arrange it with the person who takes reservation in the World Cafe. Talk with the head waiter of the Chef's Table (best time to find him/her would be at dinner the night) and explain your situation. We did two nights in the Chef's Table the last time and they did have to change some items for me because of food issues. But I told them in advance what I can't eat and then let them adjust their menu accordingly.

As Dauntless points out, it is up to you but I will point out a few more things about the restaurant. It is a lot quieter in there than in the MDR and the pace is a bit slower as well. If you want a relatively quiet dinner hour, it is a good choice. Viking understands allergies and other dietary restrictions and can adjust things accordingly, but still basically, Chef's Table is a fixed menu.

Also, if you are going to ask for changes, I suggest that you arrange for them in advance, so that when you arrive, all the hassle of negotiating what you can and cannot eat has already been taken care of before you arrive and you can enjoy the same relaxed evening as everyone else. Do not try to arrange it with the person who takes reservation in the World Cafe. Talk with the head waiter of the Chef's Table (best time to find him/her would be at dinner the night) and explain your situation. We did two nights in the Chef's Table the last time and they did have to change some items for me because of food issues. But I told them in advance what I can't eat and then let them adjust their menu accordingly.

Thanks for that reply. Very helpful. I brought that point up because of one of the reviews I read on CC, where the reviewer pointed out that they told the head waiter the wife had a shellfish allergy, yet 3 of the 4 courses were shellfish. He wrote that the head waiter even tried to convince them that Oyster sauce was not shellfish!

We do prefer a quieter & slower dinner - don't like being rushed. BUT on the other hand, we do often enjoy dining with others. Do they ask if you want to join others when you come into the restaurant, or is a reservation for two only going to be a table for two?

Do they ask if you want to join others when you come into the restaurant, or is a reservation for two only going to be a table for two?

In the restaurant, you can ask for a table just for yourselves and they have shared tables for eight. After the first time at a table for eight, we requested tables for two because we could not hear the people across the table from us so it made conversation difficult.

In Manfredi's, they have shared tables for four and six as well as tables for two. Manfredi's is quieter than the Restaurant and you could carry on a conversation at the table for six.

I don't know about the Chef's Table.

Thanks for that reply. Very helpful. I brought that point up because of one of the reviews I read on CC, where the reviewer pointed out that they told the head waiter the wife had a shellfish allergy, yet 3 of the 4 courses were shellfish. He wrote that the head waiter even tried to convince them that Oyster sauce was not shellfish!

We do prefer a quieter & slower dinner - don't like being rushed. BUT on the other hand, we do often enjoy dining with others. Do they ask if you want to join others when you come into the restaurant, or is a reservation for two only going to be a table for two?

Usually, they do not ask if you want to share a table at the Chef's Table but it is not unusual in any of the dining venues for conversations to pop up between tables, especially tables for two.

Usually, they do not ask if you want to share a table at the Chef's Table but it is not unusual in any of the dining venues for conversations to pop up between tables, especially tables for two.

I think you are right. I don't remember being asked, either.