Ketchikan as independently as possible...

CatsinShow

There's a tour for $79 in Ketchikan where you can go through the wildlife rainforest sanctuary. You pretty much have to go through a tour company to do this yes? I ask because I'm not particularly interested in spending time in a gift shop and watching someone carve wood (time would be better spent elsewhere for me).

In Ketchikan I was hoping to (yes I know everyone says what I am about to say and that you cannot guarantee seeing wildlife ) go on a trail see salmon swim upstream, see eagles closeup, and maybe see a bear eating some fish. Along with that to see Dolly's Brothel and walk along the Married Man's Trail.

I'm going to pass on totem poles and lumberjacks.

If you are in Ketchikan in salmon season, you can see the salmon swim upstream right in town along Creek Street.

I don't know about wildlife spotting, but there at some great hiking trails in/near town. We did most of the Rainbird Trail which is through a rainforest. We were the only ones on the trail.

You can see descriptions and maps of the area trails by Googling "Ketchikan Hiking Trails".

It seems like in much of the summer you will see salmon:

Alaska's Kenai River offers silvers, pinks, reds and kings from May through October, where salmon weighing up to 98 pounds have been captured. Early runs through June average around 16,000 fish, whereas late runs beginning July 1 peak at 41,000 fish in the middle of the month.

I want to see a bear eating salmon. I'm not particular at all!

Alaska's Kenai River offers silvers, pinks, reds and kings from May through October, where salmon weighing up to 98 pounds have been captured. Early runs through June average around 16,000 fish, whereas late runs beginning July 1 peak at 41,000 fish in the middle of the month.

There are peak periods at the various locations thoughout Alaska and the PNW. And there's a difference in timing if you want to fish for salmon, or want to watch salmon return to fresh water rivers to spawn (which is what the bears target),

I believe the salmon start returning to Creek Street towards the end of July.

For a bear watching trip, the prime locations for ketchikan and their peak viewing times are listed here. You can also download the Ketchikan visitor guide for more info. Or visit the Alaska Fish and Game site,

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html

If you are in Ketchikan in salmon season, you can see the salmon swim upstream right in town along Creek Street.

I don't know about wildlife spotting, but there at some great hiking trails in/near town. We did most of the Rainbird Trail which is through a rainforest. We were the only ones on the trail.

You can see descriptions and maps of the area trails by Googling "Ketchikan Hiking Trails".

I'm really excited for creek street! I am wondering, how long does it take to walk to creek street from the cruise ship docks?

I'm really excited for creek street! I am wondering, how long does it take to walk to creek street from the cruise ship docks?

It's about half-a-mile away. We walked it in under 10 minutes.

There's a tour for $79 in Ketchikan where you can go through the wildlife rainforest sanctuary. You pretty much have to go through a tour company to do this yes? I ask because I'm not particularly interested in spending time in a gift shop and watching someone carve wood (time would be better spent elsewhere for me).

In Ketchikan I was hoping to (yes I know everyone says what I am about to say and that you cannot guarantee seeing wildlife ) go on a trail see salmon swim upstream, see eagles closeup, and maybe see a bear eating some fish. Along with that to see Dolly's Brothel and walk along the Married Man's Trail.

I did a lot of what you want to by just walking around after the very short walk from the dock. I missed a bear eating fish by about 10 minutes ! All the best, Tony

Yq9hXgdj_J8

Recommend booking Ketchikan Taxi Cab (Dave or his wife) for personal tour to Herring Cove. Reasonable rate. There's a fish hatchery there. We saw a black bear sow with two cubs walking through and nibbling on the sedge grasses then checking out the creek for fish. There is also a boardwalk across the way (not sure what attraction it is a part of), in the middle of the grasses, with bald eagles perching on it. We saw eagles the entire time we were there--more than we could count. Then Dave drove to a sort of lookout point down the road where we watch dozens of bald eagles picking at and fighting over fish carcasses on the shore. Absolutely magical!

Ketchikan is very easy to walk around and see the Creek Street with salmon (when they are running), some totem poles, the fishery and the town. The larger salmon run there is late July and early August. I have a post on Ketchikan here: https://zest4travel.wordpress.com/2017/02/23/fun-in-ketchikan/

We have only paid for two excursions here....a zipline (which was ok, but Juneau was better in my opinion) and the Lumberjack show. The other 8 visits there, we did it on our own.

Thanks everyone =D

The cab company is too expensive for me, a solo traveler. I mean I know I could try to get a group together but not everyone has the same interests.

This is what I would like (hopefully to see!):

4b4f215e896db38dc6aec4ac07786ffa.jpgsalmon.jpg32aa_eagle_7074461.jpgunicorn_istock_yuri_arcurs_thumb800.jpg

From what I've read on line, the 'Rainforest Sanctuary' is private property so you would need to be on a tour.

If you want to tour independently why not rent a car for the day ?

You could drive to Herring Cove, near the Rainforest Sanctuary, where bears are occasionally seen. The whole area is rainforest with many hiking opportunities. (A couple of popular hikes are posted in the experienceketchikan site) You'll see eagles anywhere around Ketchikan, esp if you're doing a coastal drive. If you have the time drive north of Ketchikan as well .... Totem Bight is a scenic location on the waterfront to see eagles and walk, and just beyond that is a lighthouse.

From what I've read on line, the 'Rainforest Sanctuary' is private property so you would need to be on a tour.

If you want to tour independently why not rent a car for the day ?

You could drive to Herring Cove, near the Rainforest Sanctuary, where bears are occasionally seen. The whole area is rainforest with many hiking opportunities. (A couple of popular hikes are posted in the experienceketchikan site) You'll see eagles anywhere around Ketchikan, esp if you're doing a coastal drive. If you have the time drive north of Ketchikan as well .... Totem Bight is a scenic location on the waterfront to see eagles and walk, and just beyond that is a lighthouse.

Is there a hike that seems to be the most popular? I just don't want to be on a trail alone (bears!). I might rent a car. Nearly every place sold out. I found one for $82.

Okay I did a little more research and I think I want to take advantage of the Salmon Run Bus and the city bus since they seem to go to Dolly's House and Married Men's Trail. Is there a way via public transportation though to go to Herring Cove?

I have never been to Ketchikan after mid-July but we were always too early to see salmon running. It appears you are going in June. You will be too early.