Amsterdam 8am-5pm can we do this on our own?

We will be in Amsterdam from 8 til 5. We will be cruising on RCI Seranade of the seas. We want to go to Anne Franks house and also Zaanse Schans.

I know I can't get my tickets to Anne Franks house until 2 months out but I was wondering if we got 1 pm tickets could we take a train to Zaanse Schans in the morning and then head back to Anne Franks house?

I don't know how far Anne Franks house is from the port and I also don't know how long it would take to and from Zaanse Schans.

Anyone know if this is easily doable?

We will be in Amsterdam from 8 til 5. We will be cruising on RCI Seranade of the seas. We want to go to Anne Franks house and also Zaanse Schans.

I know I can't get my tickets to Anne Franks house until 2 months out but I was wondering if we got 1 pm tickets could we take a train to Zaanse Schans in the morning and then head back to Anne Franks house?

I don't know how far Anne Franks house is from the port and I also don't know how long it would take to and from Zaanse Schans.

Anyone know if this is easily doable?

Personally, I would not risk Zaanse Schans, but it is your call. On our most recent visit to AMS we spent 5 days and we took a daytrip to ZS - Rnet-bus 391 from Centraal Station (it drops you off at the entrance to ZS) - it took about 45 minutes each way (not factoring in time waiting for the bus). We spent the better part of the day at Zaanse Schans - you would need to rush through to get back to AMS in time for your AFH slot. You are going to eat up at least 2 hours getting to/from ZS.

Taking the train would require about a 20 minute walk from the train station to the entrance of ZS. So - train + walk = approx 40 minutes one way (not factoring in wait time for train). Train might be a little faster than bus.

AMS is lovely - I would chill in the city and take a canal cruise, visit the Rijksmusuem, the floating flower market, whatever. Tons to do!

The AFH is a short tram ride from the cruise port - tram 26 to Centraal Station & then tram 13 or 17 to Westermarkt.

Edited by dogs4fun

Do one or the other...not both. Anne Frank House is in a lovely area to walk around in before or after (great pancake house 2 blocks away). The windmill museum is far away and needs time to explore, too.

Yes, get tickets (if available at this point) for the AF House online. The lines are enormous otherwise.

I've also gone to Zaanse Schans by local bus and agree it wouldn't be feasible if you want to get back for 1pm. It's a lovely place but, apart from the journey time, the site is large and spread out so you would have to miss so much. Save it for another visit.

And the inner City is walkable, just from the port to the center and back you might need to take a bus or tram.

Agree that for example the Rijksmuseum (the "Louvre" of the Netherlands") is worth the visit as is one of the channel cruises.

And you can do it in that amount of time on your own, especially if you have pre-booked ticket for Anne Frank House (the visit takes less then a couple of hours)

YES, you can do it, but then make reservations for AF huis at 2 pm, not 1.

If you leave the ship around 9 at the latest you will have time. Indeed you will miss seeing more things in Amsterdam.

Traveltime 1 hour by bus or train to ZS, visit Zaanse Schans for 2 hours, , traveltime again 1 hour,

walk to AF huis from Centraal Station, or take to tram to Westerkerk and walk from there, 30 minutes.

In that case you are at AF house at 2pm.

Visit inside the house 1 1/2 hr,

tram back to Centraalstation, change trams to 26 or walk for about 15 minutes, total 30 minutes.

That brings you back to the ship at around 3.30 pm.

I gave all traveltimes a bit more then needed.

If your ship sails at 5, you have a spare of at least 30 minutes, since you need to be on board 30 minutes prior sailoff.

This website ov9292.nl is a great website to check times, schedules etc of all public transport.

I made a ficticious trip for July 4 cruiseterminal to ZS. https://9292.nl/en/journeyadvice/amsterdam_cruise-terminal/zaandam_openluchtmuseum-zaanse-schans/departure/2017-07-04T0901

https://9292.nl/en/journeyadvice/amsterdam_bezienswaardigheid-westerkerk/amsterdam_cruise-terminal/departure/2017-07-04T1400

YES, you can do it, but then make reservations for AF huis at 2 pm, not 1.

If you leave the ship around 9 at the latest you will have time. Indeed you will miss seeing more things in Amsterdam.

Traveltime 1 hour by bus or train to ZS, visit Zaanse Schans for 2 hours, , traveltime again 1 hour,

walk to AF huis from Centraal Station, or take to tram to Westerkerk and walk from there, 30 minutes.

In that case you are at AF house at 2pm.

Visit inside the house 1 1/2 hr,

tram back to Centraalstation, change trams to 26 or walk for about 15 minutes, total 30 minutes.

That brings you back to the ship at around 3.30 pm.

I gave all traveltimes a bit more then needed.

If your ship sails at 5, you have a spare of at least 30 minutes, since you need to be on board 30 minutes prior sailoff.

This website ov9292.nl is a great website to check times, schedules etc of all public transport.

I made a ficticious trip for July 4 cruiseterminal to ZS. https://9292.nl/en/journeyadvice/amsterdam_cruise-terminal/zaandam_openluchtmuseum-zaanse-schans/departure/2017-07-04T0901

https://9292.nl/en/journeyadvice/amsterdam_bezienswaardigheid-westerkerk/amsterdam_cruise-terminal/departure/2017-07-04T1400

Sent from my iPad using Forums