Safes in Cabins on Enchantment of the Seas

CCress9324

These are old style safes where you lock and unlock them with a magnetic stripe card. Any credit card or similar is ok, but you must use the same card to unlock as you did to lock which can be a nuisance, since you can't lock the card up and can't leave it lying around, for obvious reasons. We usually carry the card with us if going off the ship and/or carry it around in a water wallet or pants pocket if on the ship.

I don't know if the new cabins in the stretched portion have newer safes with a number lock.

Absolutely right - it's for security. It's the same reason that your bank tells you not to use your own birthdate for your PIN on your ATM card. If someone has access to your ATM card, it may well be because they have stolen your purse and/or wallet, which would have ID such as a driver's license, which has your birthdate on it.

If someone has your SeaPass and your cabin number, they can not only get into your cabin, they can open your safe!

Absolutely right - it's for security. It's the same reason that your bank tells you not to use your own birthdate for your PIN on your ATM card. If someone has access to your ATM card, it may well be because they have stolen your purse and/or wallet, which would have ID such as a driver's license, which has your birthdate on it.

If someone has your SeaPass and your cabin number, they can not only get into your cabin, they can open your safe!

Yeah, but think of it realistically: if you're on a cruise, you're more than likely going off the boat, wandering around a strange foreign town, possibly going swimming or drinking at a bar, right? Well, when you do this, you want to keep your most valued possession as safe as possible, right? I assume that would be your SeaPass card (along with, say, your credit card, driver's license, Xerox of your passport, etc.,.). So chances are you have all that stuff around your neck on a lanyard, or close to your family jewels in a water wallet. :) So, chances are, if you have another magnetically-striped card to open your safe, it's going to be in that packet anyway... meaning, if you lost your SeaPass, you're probably going to lose your safe-opening card as well.

The only way I could see it being useful is if, say, you use a low-level mag-stripe card on your safe, and you have other people cruising in a different cabin, and you ask them if you can put the card in their room instead of taking it off the boat... but then you run the risk of a) them locking it in THEIR safe and losing THEIR card, LOL, or b) the card lying out of the safe in their room and then getting lost or stolen.

Besides: if you use your SeaPass card, and it gets lost or stolen off the boat, there's almost no way said thief or card-finder is going to be able to get back on the boat and into your room unless they're on the boat as well. So if it's found by a local, your possessions are safe on the boat. If a cruiser finds it, chances are that they didn't take a cruise in the hopes of finding your SeaPass card and getting into your safe with it (and, again, if there's another mag-stripe card instead, they'll know that's what you used for your safe).

To make a long story short: I'm going to use my SeaPass card. One less card I'll have to carry around with me.

Please correct me if I am wrong but most cruisee lines DO NOT put your cabin number on your Sea Pass card or whatever else it my called on other cruise lines for security purposes...if someone should find it on the ship they have no way of knowing your cabin number. I always have to look at a bar receipt to remember my cabin number!:cool:

Archived