First time in a Sky Suite - Tell me what I need to know

sammygeorge

We have our first suite booked for November. I have always wanted to try a suite but could not justify the cost difference. I am now of the belief that my comfort and enjoyment will be enhanced by the Sweet life and I want to give it a go. I may not always book a suite but, I bet I will be hooked. Just like when I flew FC for the first time...once you go first, you never fly coach...at least that is my case.

To us it is about what is the best value. We can afford a suite, but it is worth the extra cost. We like Transatlantics and I suppose those are perfect for enjoying a suite. Port intensive cruises like the British Isles, Baltic, MED or Caribbean don't really give you as much time to enjoy a suite.

We did upgrade to a Suite on Millennium on our Japan and China cruise in 2015. Loved Luminae and the larger balcony, bathroom and cabin, but we would never pay the non-discounted regular price. One could argue that we should just book an inside and really save. Our first cruise was in an OV and the second cruise the difference in an OV and balcony was $100 pp, so we took the balcony. Since the price difference was modest. We discovered that the benefits were significantly more from an OV to a balcony. We didn't find that with a suite. In fact, even though we loved Luminae, we missed dining with our cruise friends that were not in a suite. It is all about the best value.

Most of the time our cruises are priced so that a suite is 2-4 times the cost of a balcony., for example:

Canary Island Transatlantic Nov 23, 2018

Inside$1,499 USD

Ocean View$1,849 USD

Veranda$1,999 USD

Concierge Class$2,549 USD

AquaClass$3,999 USD

Suites$5,199 USD

In this case the Suite is 2.5 times the cost of a balcony.

Canary Island Transatlantic Nov 23, 2018

Inside$1,499 USD

Ocean View$1,849 USD

Veranda$1,999 USD

Concierge Class$2,549 USD

AquaClass$3,999 USD

Suites$5,199 USD

In this case the Suite is 2.5 times the cost of a balcony.

The cost for AQ over a verander isn't worth $2000 extra. The pricing shown makes the Varanda the best value of all the categories.

As you illustrated you need to evaluate the cost. Many times if you are flexible and aren't restricted to a certain date you can book the same cruise but during a different time for a big savings in the pricing that would allow getting a higher category without spending more, but it would also be subject to the cost difference over a lower cabin being justified. 🤔

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞