Contacting ship in an emergency

sassyb69

if any of my family needed to contact me in an emergency while we are at sea, can anyone advise the best way to do this. We are from Uk if that makes a difference.

I am not expecting an emergency but would like to know the process just in case

Thanks

if any of my family needed to contact me in an emergency while we are at sea, can anyone advise the best way to do this. We are from Uk if that makes a difference.

I am not expecting an emergency but would like to know the process just in case

Thanks

MyNcl > Holiday summary > ship > Frequently asked questions:

39068d670152d29d25e4408960d04974.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

FYI - if the only method is calling the ship, realize what happens next. They ring your cabin. If you are not there, they leave a message. You might not see that until later in the day.

If you have a cell phone with you, you can answer the call the second it rings.

OP, since you are sailing the Med & Adriatic Seas shortly, you want to check with your home (UK) carrier about roaming fees for using your cellular device at sea (over satellite) - and, during the days when docked in port of calls, you might be able to make & receive calls with no extra roaming charges (as most of Euro, has done away with "roaming" charges within the regions ... depending on your plan/coverage, etc.)

SMS or texting are typically free and/or inexpensive, even if roaming/cellular data at sea might be costly (which you can turn off) ... look up "how-to" in changing those settings. It is often possible to screen & filter your incoming calls & messages to a list, while sending others into voice mail directly - unimportant calls & messages can always be dealt with post-cruise.

For anyone calling you from (U.K.) home to ship - they will be responsible for the credit card charges of $8 USD a minute billed directly when they place the call ... If you call them back directly from your stateroom while on the ship, it's $5 (4.99) a minute - compare that to whether there's a charge to use your cellular minutes & its rate, might be cheaper or close to free ??

There's also WiFi calling on the ship, using the free NCL iConcierge App, updated less than 3 weeks ago (both iOS & Androids ... should be revised for Windows phone also) - which is essentially voice calling or VoIP, at 79 cents a minute ... no need to sign up or pay for any WiFi minutes or the one-time App fee, as it only need to connect free to the ship's WiFi inTRAnet.

Whenever we travel, especially out of the country/abroad & overseas - we always have 2 or more means of staying in touch - especially with our designated "care" takers ... it is not necessary to let nearly "everyone" know how to reach you. It's old fashion, but our AT&T credit card has the means to use it as a calling card with access number that's good almost anywhere in the world. When it's deemed a true emergency, the price of that call to be in touch is priceless.

Say, for example, there's an "emergency" back at home ... they called you & get connected. Once you learned the nature of the incident, you can hangup and call them back with one of the above options - as it will be CHEAPER than $8 USD a minute.

OP, since you are sailing the Med & Adriatic Seas shortly, you want to check with your home (UK) carrier about roaming fees for using your cellular device at sea (over satellite) - and, during the days when docked in port of calls, you might be able to make & receive calls with no extra roaming charges (as most of Euro, has done away with "roaming" charges within the regions ... depending on your plan/coverage, etc.)

SMS or texting are typically free and/or inexpensive, even if roaming/cellular data at sea might be costly (which you can turn off) ... look up "how-to" in changing those settings. It is often possible to screen & filter your incoming calls & messages to a list, while sending others into voice mail directly - unimportant calls & messages can always be dealt with post-cruise.

For anyone calling you from (U.K.) home to ship - they will be responsible for the credit card charges of $8 USD a minute billed directly when they place the call ... If you call them back directly from your stateroom while on the ship, it's $5 (4.99) a minute - compare that to whether there's a charge to use your cellular minutes & its rate, might be cheaper or close to free ??

There's also WiFi calling on the ship, using the free NCL iConcierge App, updated less than 3 weeks ago (both iOS & Androids ... should be revised for Windows phone also) - which is essentially voice calling or VoIP, at 79 cents a minute ... no need to sign up or pay for any WiFi minutes or the one-time App fee, as it only need to connect free to the ship's WiFi inTRAnet.

Whenever we travel, especially out of the country/abroad & overseas - we always have 2 or more means of staying in touch - especially with our designated "care" takers ... it is not necessary to let nearly "everyone" know how to reach you. It's old fashion, but our AT&T credit card has the means to use it as a calling card with access number that's good almost anywhere in the world. When it's deemed a true emergency, the price of that call to be in touch is priceless.

Say, for example, there's an "emergency" back at home ... they called you & get connected. Once you learned the nature of the incident, you can hangup and call them back with one of the above options - as it will be CHEAPER than $8 USD a minute.

Roaming fees for mobile data and telephony are abolished by law in the E.U. since June 15th.

Don't know if it's applicable in the U.K. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's also WiFi calling on the ship, using the free NCL iConcierge App, updated less than 3 weeks ago (both iOS & Androids ... should be revised for Windows phone also) - which is essentially voice calling or VoIP, at 79 cents a minute ... no need to sign up or pay for any WiFi minutes or the one-time App fee, as it only need to connect free to the ship's WiFi inTRAnet. .

This looks great but do you know if it available on the Spirit as it wasn't listed as one of the ships on the screen shot?

I have downloaded the app just in case

This looks great but do you know if it available on the Spirit as it wasn't listed as one of the ships on the screen shot? I have downloaded the app just in case

Sorry, looked thru & did searched recent posts - available info not clear on whether the iConcierge App has been deployed on the ship or not. NCL is notorious for not updating their website and/or leaving obsolete info ... like the rollout schedule of the latest 3 tiered broadband plan.

From what I can see ... on recent posts by others, the Spirit has a working WiFi system and it supports the iCon App. See this post, price for the extra/optional features priced recenlty at $9.95 in April 2017 (so it is available & working) - you do NOT need to pay the fee to use the calling option. There's an optional & free App called SpeedNet from Play Store, it's recommended by NCL to download & install ahead of sailing to help with satellite connectivity. - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=52824930&postcount=9

It came out of a recent drydock (minor ??) and there're no "complaints" or mention of broadband access ... kind of odds, maybe you can be the first to report & confirm what's available and what's not ??

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2448470&page=7

Much of Europe has done away with the roaming fees ... did you find out anything from your UK provider ? Or, see if they have a roaming or traveler's plan avaiable - not sure if "free" cruise ship coverage would be included even for Euro carrier's plans. It would be nice - we had relatives visiting us from France, here in the U.S. - and their incoming calls were free on land & outbound calls to home were cheap.

Good luck & enjoy your cruise - please feel free to share your WiFi & internet/calling experience after your cruise.

FYI - if the only method is calling the ship, realize what happens next. They ring your cabin. If you are not there, they leave a message. You might not see that until later in the day.

If you have a cell phone with you, you can answer the call the second it rings.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that most people will either have their phones turned off or they will have them in airplane mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that most people will either have their phones turned off or they will have them in airplane mode.

true.. many do that. No idea how many.

We have ours turned on and deal with the few calls we might get. Since even a wrong number is less than a minute, the charge is $2.99

true.. many do that. No idea how many.

We have ours turned on and deal with the few calls we might get. Since even a wrong number is less than a minute, the charge is $2.99

Do you turn off data? Or do you not have a smart phone? Or if neither of those, wouldn't the bill be very high?

Do you turn off data? Or do you not have a smart phone? Or if neither of those, wouldn't the bill be very high?

Oh yes!!! Turn off data roaming. Then you only get charged for phone calls. Data roaming can be a killer.