VAT Refund

ackieboy

My mother and I traveled on the April 19, Sacred Sanctuaries cruise on the Riviera. During our three day stay in Haifa, we made several purchases. On returning to the ship on the evening of the second day in Israel, we stopped at the VAT redemption booth in the terminal. There was an extensive line, but we were prepared to wait it out. After standing on line for over an hour, a representative from the ship appeared and asked those of us in line for our VAT forms and said that the ship's staff would take care of submitting the paperwork for the refunds. Yesterday, we did receive our refund check for approximately $42.00 from Bank Hapoalim of Israel. When I brought it to my bank to cash the check, the bank refused to accept it as it had no routing number and was not issued by a U.S. bank. I also contacted Bank Hapoalim in the United States and they said that I had to contact the bank in Israel. I attempted to do this but the phone number listed on the check did not go to the bank. While I realize this was not a life altering sum of money, I was just wondering if anyone else has run across this situation and if so, how did you deal with it. I have already reached out to Oceania's customer service department for assistance. Thank you in advance for your suggestions. Happy Sailing everyone!

Dean

I suspect that the problem is with a lack of knowledge at your local Bank, perhaps through lack of experience.

Unless a check is payable through an American Bank, one does not deposit an international check in the traditional manner.

It needs to be presented for collection by a Commercial Bank.

Fee's are involved, which will be higher if said Commercial Bank is not your Bank, so it may be that they were loathe to suggest this because of the small dollar amount.

When we left Haifa, the refund desk was closed. Nobody offered us any alternative. Never got my VAT back. It was on a Friday afternoon. Previous to that experience, I have flown out of Ben Gurion in Tel Aviv on Saturday morning. Refund desk was open. All the stores in the duty free section were also open. Win some, lose some.

I suspect that the problem is with a lack of knowledge at your local Bank, perhaps through lack of experience.

Unless a check is payable through an American Bank, one does not deposit an international check in the traditional manner.

It needs to be presented for collection by a Commercial Bank.

Fee's are involved, which will be higher if said Commercial Bank is not your Bank, so it may be that they were loathe to suggest this because of the small dollar amount.

Thanks for the heads up. Although I have traveled extensively, I have not had much experience with VAT refunds. I appreciate the info.

I had a similar situation many years ago. I returned the check (actually it was a foreign draft) and asked they issue a credit to my credit card. That worked fine.

Thanks for the reply. If I might ask, did you send the check back to the bank that issued it and just specify which credit card to issue the credit to? Thanks again for the info and for helping me figure this out

No, I sent it back to the issuer. I gave them the credit card info. That was long ago, pre internet. Now, I'd start with an e-mail to where the refund was issued. They may not even need the piece of paper back.