Live From The Grand Princess

BigTimeCruiser

Kathy - They wouldn't pick a sea day for the second formal night because the ONLY other sea day is the last night on the ship and that's always casual dress. So, it definitely has to be a port day, unfortunately. :(

Houstoncruisers2001 - Thanks for that info. on the weather. Seems like wind really affects the stability of the Grand more than waves, so that would make sense about the rough sailings on those nights. Thanks! ;)

BigTimeCruiser - Do you get the impression the formal nights are this way just for THIS week or do you think it'll be permanent? Seems so strange to have 2 so close together! :confused:

Do they have these on all the cruises or just ones longer than 7 days?

I don't know. They had them last year on our 7-day on Grand Princess, but that's the only Princess cruise I've been on.

RCL has the ship shape thing, but you have to work really hard to get anything as nice as a t-shirt. :D

Kathy - They wouldn't pick a sea day for the second formal night because the ONLY other sea day is the last night on the ship and that's always casual dress. So, it definitely has to be a port day, unfortunately. :(

Houstoncruisers2001 - Thanks for that info. on the weather. Seems like wind really affects the stability of the Grand more than waves, so that would make sense about the rough sailings on those nights. Thanks! ;)

BigTimeCruiser - Do you get the impression the formal nights are this way just for THIS week or do you think it'll be permanent? Seems so strange to have 2 so close together! :confused:

I was wondering how they'd handle it. Belize seemed to be most logical because of the early port time, but other folks on our thread seemed to think it would be Thursday. This sounds pretty good to me since I can get the tux dry cleaned before going home and not be rushed about it! ;)

Belize seemed to be most logical because of the early port time, but other folks on our thread seemed to think it would be Thursday.

Last December is was on a thursday....Coz day. Great night for a formal picture with the wife....I was sunburn & drunk. She was neither. I guess that's why she looks great in the photo and I look....well....sunburn & drunk.

Formal Nights:

Now that is really strange. Agree, they couldn't pick a sea day because the last day of the cruise is the only other sea day. We have had a couple of formal nights on our Cozumel days, so that seemed pretty logical with the timing of the cruise. I truly find this odd. Have had a lot of formal nights on port days, so that just shouldn't make much of a difference.

Can't wait to hear how it is handled next week. So when is the Captains repeaters party? I saw that is wasn't tonight, but didn't see what night is actually is. This is really odd.

Hulagirl

BigTimeCruiser

Will you please find out if next's week schedule for formal night is expected to be Sun/Tues versus Sun/Thurs.

We'll be joining you Saturday. (December 3rd) Our CC group is trying to make a decision on which night to book Sabatini's --- and the formal night schedule will be one of the deciding factors.

Thanx

OK---Here is the straight scoop directly from two Head Waiters regarding Formal Night. We left Belize at 1:30pm today which was a very short stay. Tomorrow night we leave Grand Cayman late and according to the Head Waiter, "Everyone gets tanked in Cozumel". Also, the last sea day is the night that luggage has to be placed outside the staterooms early, so tonight was the last opportunity to do a Formal Night. Second, NO LOBSTER TONIGHT. I failed to confirm whether or not there will be lobster during the cruise.

It is my understanding that this schedule for Formal Nights will remain in effect.

We still haven't heard when the Captain's Circle Reception will take place.

Thanks for all the reports!

We had formal night/Captain's repeaters reception last time when I was on the Grand in Cozumel and I admit - it was strange. I made it back to go but friends I was with didn't. It just seemed strange to have the party before the ship sailed that day.

I wonder if any of this will change with a new Captain coming on the ship in a few weeks? Or is this something a Captain may not even care about??

Hope the weather stays nice for you guys! Keep the updates coming.

Thanks for the information on formal nights. Could you please confirm whether or not there was lobster tonight? Based on your post, it did not appear that you had eaten yet. Also, if not, were you able to find out if it would be served at any time during the cruise.

I do hope they have not discontinued the lobster. While I don't care myself as I am unable to eat seafood, my brother will be greatly disappointed. It won't be formal night without the lobster.

BTC - thanks for all the updates. Seems like you have been quite busy just keeping all of us informed. Hope you are enjoying yourself too. :D I for one hope to be able to just go with the flow. It does make sense not to have a formal night after Cozumel if most people are too drunk to enjoy it. Maybe there will be some newcomers at the meetings:rolleyes:

Thanks again for the taking the time to keep us informed. Looking forward to meeting you onthe 10th.

OK--Lets see if I can try to answer several of the questions in one Post.

First--There wasn't lobster last night. It was the regular menu, but not the one for formal night. Hopefully we will have lobster on one of the remaining evenings.

You do not tender at Costa Maya. There is a very nice and new pier with great shops. As previously mentioned, the prices seemed higher than Cozumel that we visited last month. Will confirm this when we tender at Cozumel.

We stayed on the ship in Belize because my wife wasn't feeling well and really didn't get any feedback from those that went to town, except one passenger who said she was hasseled by vendors who wouldn't leave her alone. Thought we would try Belize on the next go around.

The Internet has been much improved. Have noticed that if the room is full, speeds seem to get slow. But overall, the Internet speed has been good.

Weather for today--Partly cloudy, high of 83 degree F, with a chance of rain.

Cruise Director is Trevor Bradford. He joined the Grand Princess 3 weeks ago for its Transalantic voyage. We sailed with him recently on the Sun.

Movies For Today

MUTS--Shall We Dance

MUTS--Diamonds Are Forever

MUTS--Toy Story

MUTS--Monster In-Law

Theater--Million Dollar Baby

Theater--Fever Pitch

The time for Grand Cayman is Ship's Time. Even though Grand Cayman is one hour ahead, the Patter says to ignor clocks on the island and remain on ship's time. Today, we will be at Grand Cayman from 11:00am to 5:45pm. It was orginally scheduled for 12:00pm to 7:00pm.

:) :)

I, too, am wondering about the time in Grand Cayman. I've been back and forth with Princess on this issue with some reps saying that we stay on ship time and others saying that we change to reflect the port.

So, BTC, what's the verdict?

Any thank you so much for all of your posts....it's so wonderful that you are sharing all this info....we'll be joining you on the sailing on the 10th....see you then!

I, too, am wondering about the time in Grand Cayman. I've been back and forth with Princess on this issue with some reps saying that we stay on ship time and others saying that we change to reflect the port.

So, BTC, what's the verdict?

Luckyking---We must have been typing at the same time. See my Post just above yours.:)

This morning we received our invitations to the Captain's Circle Reception. It is scheduled for Thursday. The invitation said that the dress is formal. After going down and checking with the Captain Circle Hostess, we found out that the dress will be Smart Casual. They just didn't correct it on the preprinted invitations. There will be two receptions as normal. The new Captain Circle Hostess that takes over next week told me that she believes that the same schedule will hold for subsequent sailings/cruises.

Archived