Checking in a beach umbrella on Norwegian Gem

miggles

I think you'll have to call about this one but do you really want to schlep around a beach umbrella and find a place to store it in your cabin? And hopefully, you're not flying to the departure port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There were lots of shady spots on GSC. I don't think you would need the umbrella
I heard there weren't many shady areas and if they have any by the time your tender makes it to the island those spots are taken. I find it truly idiotic that they can't have umbrellas for people.....even if it's to rent them. I have no desire to sit inside a clam shell made for only 2 people, especially when we are a party of 4...not to mention how obstructive they are to those behind them.

Even if you could check in an umbrella, I have a hard time believing that you would be allowed to take it on the tender.

When we were there last year on the Getaway, there were lots of shady spots to be had. Most people stop at the first beach they see...but there is so much more if you keep walking or take the shuttle a bit further towards the cabanas. Even mid-day, we saw several areas in the shade with empty loungers.

If you feel compelled to bring your own shade, find something that folds down compactly so that you could carry it easily in a tote bag or the like.

Thanks all very much for answering my question! Well I think my plan will be take my beach umbrella from home and check it in at pier. I live in NYC and carry a beach umbrella on subway/bus to get to beach. I just sling over my shoulder so shouldn't take much room on tender. I will post on how this works out. Should be interesting!! lol

We always bring our travel umbrellas by Portabrella.

They have a carrying case with a shoulder strap and fold down to 24" are small but the umbrella part opens up to 76". They weigh about 6 lbs. We are never without shade and they are easy to carry. No problem ever taking them so far.

Edited by tonit964
spelling error

We always bring our travel umbrellas by Portabrella.

They have a carrying case with a shoulder strap and fold down to 24" are small but the umbrella part opens up to 76". They weigh about 6 lbs. We are never without shade and they are easy to carry. No problem ever taking them so far.

Thanks for posting that. I think I will invest in one. We live 45 min from our Jersey beach so it will come in handy.

HI I am allowed to check in a beach umbrella and bring it to Great Stirrup? Cabanas are booked and clamshells look a bit claustrophobic.

Yes, you can bring it along - someone on our Gem sailing did so recently and others on different Roll Call afterward also planned/did so.

If it can be folded & carried onboard, you might wish to do that to avoid being damaged or "missing"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53436493&postcount=12

Uploaded picture 294f503eeb5e5cce40e1d70e23e358dc.jpg