What if cabin mate has to cancel at the last minute?

karlsselindh

We had this experience because my son was unable to join us. Final payment was made for the cabin for two people. He had 3rd party insurance. The remaining person in the cabin was able to sail without incurring any additional charges since the two fares had been paid.

A claim was filed with the insurance carrier and a reimbursement for the fare (not port fees) was received. We did have to include a copy of the email received from Celebrity which listed the amount that was not refunded when the reservation was canceled.

I believe that Celebrity credited back the port fees for the second person; it's been two years since this happened so I don't remember the exact amount credited.

Do be careful if any OBC or excursions were shown under the name of the person who is canceling as that will cause those items to disappear from the reservation. We discovered this while onboard. Tickets for an excursion were deleted from the reservation and another ticket had to be purchased. It was a hassle to get the original amount paid refunded and took a number of visits to the customer service and excursions desks. If anything is listed under that person's name, you might try to get the items transferred to the person who will be sailing before you inform Celebrity that a passenger is canceling.

I'm still baffled that you can book a normal 2 person rate, have 1 not show up, and then file insurance claim to get the no-show's money back...basically getting around the single supplement.

Yes that's confused me slightly too

I'm still baffled that you can book a normal 2 person rate, have 1 not show up, and then file insurance claim to get the no-show's money back...basically getting around the single supplement.

Purchasing insurance and then filing a claim is not getting around the single supplement.

In my case, Celebrity was paid in full for two people on the reservation. One person was unable to cruise snd canceled with Celebrity prior to the cruise. There was no refund from Celebrit. The two fares were paid to Celebrity just as if a single supplement was paid.

The insurance company is the entity that reimbursed the person who was unable to cruise. A claim had to be filed with the insurance company, and proof of the cancellation provided. That proof of cancellation had to list the amount that was not refunded as that was the amount the insurance company paid on the claim.

Perhaps you can explain why you see this as an avoidance of payment?

Purchasing insurance and then filing a claim is not getting around the single supplement.

In my case' date=' Celebrity was paid in full for two people on the reservation. One person was unable to cruise snd canceled with Celebrity prior to the cruise. There was no refund from Celebrit. The two fares were paid to Celebrity just as if a single supplement was paid.

The insurance company is the entity that reimbursed the person who was unable to cruise. A claim had to be filed with the insurance company, and proof of the cancellation provided. That proof of cancellation had to list the amount that was not refunded as that was the amount the insurance company paid on the claim.

Perhaps you can explain why you see this as an avoidance of payment?[/quote']

Sorry I thought someone had been an no show but makes sense now

So what would stop a single passenger just booking room with someone else, get insurance and have the second person not sail.

That is why on HAL their cruise protection does not protect a second person's fare. The solo passenger gets re-fared once one person cancels.

I think Celebrity would be similar but hopefully someone with experience will answer. The majority of the time related people are traveling together so the entire cabin/ reservation is canceled.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In my case' date=' Celebrity was paid in full for two people on the reservation. One person was unable to cruise snd canceled with Celebrity prior to the cruise. There was no refund from Celebrit. The two fares were paid to Celebrity just as if a single supplement was paid.

Perhaps you can explain why you see this as an avoidance of payment?[/quote']

In the end, you do get around the single supplement. (some would go the extreme to say its fraud if you have start off with no intention of both actually cruising). In the end you get 1/2 your cost refunded. If I was booking I would have my spouse as the second passenger...she might or probably might not go with me...and if she doesn't go with me, I don't have to pay the "single" rate.

(I guess I should qualify that with, having cancel for any reason insurance)

It probably is relevant if using the Celebrity cruise care. HAL will re- fare the second person if the other person cancels for any reason using their cruise protection. In the case of HAL its a 90-95% cash refund after the final payment date. It's to prevent fraud.

So Celebrity would want to make sure people aren't booking two in the cabin while planning to cruise solo.

It's called insurance fraud.

In the end, you do get around the single supplement. (some would go the extreme to say its fraud if you have start off with no intention of both actually cruising). In the end you get 1/2 your cost refunded. If I was booking I would have my spouse as the second passenger...she might or probably might not go with me...and if she doesn't go with me, I don't have to pay the "single" rate.

(I guess I should qualify that with, having cancel for any reason insurance)

The single person supplement is paid to Celebrity when an individual books a cruise. When two people book a cruise, each pays their fare. If one of the two has to cancel - and has insurance - the insurance company is paying on the claim. Celebrity is still whole as they received two fares for the cabin.

In my case, my son, who is active duty military, was reassigned to another base and had to report to his new base on a date that was in the middle of our cruise. The insurance company paid on the claim after receiving all of the required documentation.

I am sure that all insurance companies require documentation which must accompany the claim. Everyone who purchases insurance does so because stuff happens. Why is this such a challenging concept?

No one is advocating insurance fraud in this thread. So, I don't understand the direction this thread has taken.

We had a somewhat similar situation in 2012 sailing a 12 night Mediterranean on the Solstice out of Barcelona. This was a cruise with my wife and college classmate and his wife. We had adjoining balcony cabins. Because we had a state residency discount and they did not, we booked one cabin with the guys and the other cabin with the ladies. Then once on board we would make the switch so each couple had their own cabin. Only a few days before departure my college friend and wife could not go due to medical reasons.

My wife and I checked in and asked guest services about the possibility of trading the 2 balconies for a higher grade cabin but they said no as I assume nothing was available. We thought they could upgrade an inside room for someone to our balcony cabin and get some good PR and they would have been very happy.

When we got to our cabin and met the steward she thought we were brother and sister and wanted separate cabins. With a straight face I told her "no, we are husband and wife but we don't sleep in the same room". She said in all her years on the cruise ship that was the first time she ever encountered this. I let a couple minutes go by and then gave her the true story. She laughed and then said "I'm glad because I was thinking about how difficult my job was going to be servicing your rooms with such a strange marital relationship".

We had a great cruise. My wife loved having her own bathroom and I had the other cabin for my video stuff. Also, the steward only had to basically clean one cabin as we did sleep in one bed only. True story!

No one is advocating insurance fraud in this thread. So' date=' I don't understand the direction this thread has taken.[/quote']

The above post absolutely is discussing insurance fraud. You can book 2 people, get cancel for any reason insurance, knowing full well you plan on cancelling the second person and getting their fare reimbursed to get around the single supplement. CFAR insurance doesn't require any documentation to support that the second passenger has a legitimate reason to not travel.

Yes, this is absolutely insurance fraud. Compare to a real life situation that came up at work (police). A woman has an accident and is uninsured. She convinces the officer who responds to document that the accident occurred an hour later than it actually did so she can get insured first. Both were charged with and prosecuted for insurance fraud and he lost his job.

Obviously in that situation it was easy to catch since it was poorly planned. But any time you 'lie' to obtain insurance that you already know you need to use; you are committing insurance fraud. Saying your wife is going on a cruise so you can pay less than the normal single supplement is a lie. If you do it once will anyone call you on it? Doubt it. If you do it multiple times, I think you could run into some serious criminal and civil penalties.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The above post absolutely is discussing insurance fraud. You can book 2 people, get cancel for any reason insurance, knowing full well you plan on cancelling the second person and getting their fare reimbursed to get around the single supplement. CFAR insurance doesn't require any documentation to support that the second passenger has a legitimate reason to not travel.

Yes, this is absolutely insurance fraud. Compare to a real life situation that came up at work (police). A woman has an accident and is uninsured. She convinces the officer who responds to document that the accident occurred an hour later than it actually did so she can get insured first. Both were charged with and prosecuted for insurance fraud and he lost his job.

Obviously in that situation it was easy to catch since it was poorly planned. But any time you 'lie' to obtain insurance that you already know you need to use; you are committing insurance fraud. Saying your wife is going on a cruise so you can pay less than the normal single supplement is a lie. If you do it once will anyone call you on it? Doubt it. If you do it multiple times, I think you could run into some serious criminal and civil penalties.

I don not think the OP was asking about that question or proposing that they were pulling something over on the cruise line or insurance company. They were simply asking whether to notify Celebrity or be a "no show". I would think it is better to inform Celebrity in advance that one of the persons in the room was not able to sale.

In my specific experience, Celebrity had to be notified so that an insurance claim could be filed. The cancellation was for a covered reason and documentation had to be submitted with the claim.

That is very different from what you are addressing re: a claim for "canceling for any reason". Have you or someone you know been able to cancel for any reason and get reimbursed by the insurance company? Isn't a claim firm and explanation/documentation of some type required?

Not being of the mindset to attempt a scam, I can't imagine that is what the OP was implying. It seems to me that someone else steered the thread in that off-course direction. I don't see that tangent being helpful re: answering the OP's question: notify vs "no show".

If you referring to me you are dead wrong.

In a real world example, lets say I book a cruise for 12 or 18 months from now for my spouse and I.....There are a million reasons why one of us could decide not to go on the cruise, and knowing that we won't be financially penalized if one of us doesn't go (with CFAR), that makes the decision for one of us not to go even easier.

I would NOT call that insurance fraud.

In a real world example, lets say I book a cruise for 12 or 18 months from now for my spouse and I.....There are a million reasons why one of us could decide not to go on the cruise, and knowing that we won't be financially penalized if one of us doesn't go (with CFAR), that makes the decision for one of us not to go even easier.

Very true. I booked a cruise 24 months out. I usually travel Solo. Of course I discuss with the agents involved, that the Solo may change. Since most of the time I pay double occupancy for one person, i am am told in those cases they can add them plus the port fees and tips.

One never knows what life may bring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You keep changing you question. You started by asking what stops you from creating a false second person on the booking simply to make an insurance claim to get around the solo supplement. The answer to that is that it's insurance fraud.

If you are actually planning a trip with another person and they decide not to go, of course it's not.

Let me put it this way. Let's say you never had any intention of your wife going. The trip was simply for you. But you put her on the booking so you can make an insurance claim later. Well, for that to 'work' you can't cancel her until you are at the 100% penalty phase. If you cancel her right after final payment, you'll get 75% of her fare refunded. Which you can't make an insurance claim on. So you'll then have to pay that like you normally would as a single.

So two weeks before the trip you cancel her booking so you can maximize the insurance benefits. You NEVER intended her to go. Which means you bought yourself airfare but not her. You requested time off of work but she didn't. You booked excursions for yourself but not for her. This is the fraud part. If you NEVER intended for her to go, simply to have the insurance company pay part of her fare to make YOUR trip cheaper. And yes, that was your original question which is why the fraud answer came up.

Edited by sanger727

• 5 months later...

I just had an interesting experience calling a very popular web-based discount cruise company about a Royal Caribbean cruise. Since I am unsure whether or not I will travel solo or with a friend, I asked specific questions about the RCCL policy for this and this is what I was told. I should book the cruise and name a second person. RCCL allows one free name change. So I asked further if I booked as solo and what I was told was shocking. If I book two people in the room and pay the full price, the cruise cost would be approx. $1000 x 2 =$2000. However, if I later changed that to one solo person, I was told I would have to cancel the cruise and rebook for one at the prevailing rate. Now here is the most shocking part, I asked what the rate is for booking one person as a solo cruiser today. I fully expected the answer to be around $1900 (full single supplement,less the second persons taxes), but I was told it would be $2800. Yes, way more than double! I'm not trying to collect any insurance; that's not an option since I am knowingly traveling as one. So, I ready through Cruise Critics blogs and read many, many reviews that said if you book as two and only one can go; do not notify the cruise lines ahead of time, nor when you are checking in. Simply say the other person is arriving later. Of course, this assumes you don't have a legitimate insurance claim for a second person that was traveling with you. As a solo cruiser, it's shocking I might have to may MORE than the single supplement.

• 4 years later...