On board Magic for two weeks- got any questions? Ask away

Seago2

Thanks for the information...ALL this information, actually. We sail in just 6 days for my big 4-0 birthday celebration.

KSagan, Happy Birthday! My husband and I are also on this sailing celebrating our 25th anniversary!! :cool:

I heard you can eat at la cucina capitano on embarkation day for lunch without the extra charge; did you find this to be true? Thanks! Enjoying all your info!

YES and as The4Cruisers said lunch is no charge every day. For us on Breeze and Dream it was very uncrowded....maybe bcs it's way aft on deck 11? and not in prime traffic area. We were waited on with menus (limited) but maybe Magic doesn't do that. Either way I very much recommend it for embarkation lunch, it's very quiet and peaceful....and it's very roomy for carry-on luggage.

Sapphire Beach was gorgeous, simply gorgeous.

Sounds like their refurbishment there paid off. There were reports that it was kinda run-down looking. Did you take a cab there and back? I don't remember any cruise-line excursions to Sapphire Beach so I'm assuming you did it on your own.

Sea Dogs- meh. Clearly the hot dogs are boiled and then quickly thrown on a grill on one side. So overall: kind of mushy.

Sounds like a "try it maybe one time" type of place. :)

Mongolian Wok: I went embarkation day, no line. Don't know about other days but will keep my eyes open. Pig and Anchor: again don't know but will find out.

Thanks for checking. I think others have confirmed that Pig & Anchor is only open on sea days.

Sail and sign card was given to us before we boarded, old fashioned style. No machines that "ding" any more, they have hand held tablets that read your card. Much faster,

I find this lack of the machines that go "ding" disturbing. It's always been the sound that says to me "Hey, relax, your vacation has started!"

I'm gonna miss it...and I fear I won't be alone in that.

I was looking into the Aqua Zone at Amber Cover -- I've read that it's free to cruisers and it has a pool, slides, lazy river, swim up bar, and a beach. Any insights on this port and/or place?

Don't know about Amber Cove aqua zone as we got right back on the ship after the excursion.

Sapphire Beach was beautiful and yes we did take a cab on our own, I forget how much it was but you can ask in the ports of call section.

The hand held tablets make their own little "ding" and you get used to it! Super fast. But I know what you mean.

Thanks to everyone telling me to have a great cruise! It is really fun, though really long for a mom and her 19 year old son! Once again, I really wish carnival had programming, ANY programming, for those who have aged out of Club 02 but are not old enough to drink. Just a meet and greet a couple of times would have been great.

I was looking into the Aqua Zone at Amber Cover -- I've read that it's free to cruisers and it has a pool, slides, lazy river, swim up bar, and a beach. Any insights on this port and/or place?

Yes, there's a huge pool and sort of a lazy river. It's a circle but no real "current" to pull you or tubes to ride. Slides are free. Highly recommend wearing shoes walking up to the slides. Little gravel stones are not nice to the bare feet. There's a nice swim up bar too. All free! No beach in walking distance that I saw though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I heard you can eat at la cucina capitano on embarkation day for lunch without the extra charge; did you find this to be true? Thanks! Enjoying all your info!

Yes you can but the food isn't the same. Only pasta and sauces for lunch - good but nowhere near the full dinner experience!!!! you can't beat it for $15.00.

Do you have to put your S&S card in the slot for lights to stay on for the Magic?

Thanks for all the responses about lunch :-)

When we came in here someone had a paper card, ripped, jammed into the slot. We've kept it in there ever since. So it doesn't even have to be a credit card-type thing. If I were you I'd use a rewards card from a store. Just leave it in all the time for convenience but remember to turn the lights off when not in use- win/win.

I'm only on the third page so I don't know if this has been asked or answered. You mentioned you had Bitter and Blanc and you also mentioned you were on a 7 and 8 day cruise. Was the Bitter and Blanc on the 7 day, 8 day, or both? It is very gracious of you to start a thread like this and to answer promptly while on your vacation.

I just read they changed how comedy club works and you have to go get tickets now. Have you tried this out? Do they still have a PG and adult show most nights? Hopefully without it being George Lopez sponsored the comedians won't get worse. Thanks!

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the shows. I don't go to them. I'm sure they're in the random Fun Times I have lying around the room but I've thrown most of them out so I'm not sure.

Cucina free for lunch: yes.

There doesn't appear to be a kid free hot tub but I could be wrong. However, despite children being allowed in the aft pool now, I haven't seen any there throughout both cruises.

Gave up on comedy shows throughout both cruises.

Late night deck parties have been awesome!

I had bitter and blanc on the first cruise, haven't seen it yet on the 8 day but we've been in port a lot so we've eaten at the Lido and Cucina. Going to hit up the steakhouse again. One night we went down for ATD at 5:45. The line was God awful, went all the way around the atrium and down one hallway. No way were we getting in that line; even if it moved quickly once the doors were open the kitchen and wat staff would be slammed. So we went upstairs. Honestly the Lido has better food anyway, but obviously you don't get the dining room experience.

We have had some great excursions! All Carnival this time. Catamaran sail and snorkel in Grand Turk, Big 3 in Amber Cove, and yesterday's ATV Rainforest Adventure in San Juan was awesome! Today another Cat sail and snorkel in St. Kitts.

Is there a pool or hot tub that is for adults only? I sure hope so.

Yes there is, in the Serenity area. (Deck 12 I think). There's 2-one on each side. And a bar on one side too. It's adults only. They have nice clamshell chairs, hammocks and cushioned lounge chairs. It's my favorite spot on the ship!

Re: Serenity- I went up there once, it wasn't "packed" but all the loungers were taken. Never went back. I have a place where I like to go anyway (11 port side mid-aft).

No USB ports in my cabin, a deck 9 interior,

I'll try to find out about the wine price; don't know if we are going to an upcharge restaurant again.

Today is St. Maarten: rainy!

When we came in here someone had a paper card, ripped, jammed into the slot. We've kept it in there ever since. So it doesn't even have to be a credit card-type thing. If I were you I'd use a rewards card from a store. Just leave it in all the time for convenience but remember to turn the lights off when not in use- win/win.

Great! Thanks