Leftover OBC

mdsgu

We sailed on the Escape June 3-10. When we left, I had a little over $150 left in my onboard account. It was definitely refundable because I had put the money there before we ever boarded. I assume (yeah, I know) that NCL will be sending me a check, but I haven't gotten one yet. Perhaps it is a bit early. Perhaps I need to request it. No, I haven't contacted NCL yet; I've been operating under the "bit early" assumption.

Has anyone else had a credit after leaving the ship? If so, when did you get the refund?

It took me about 4 months to get the refund. You may want to go to a certain unmentionable web site and message them the details so you know they are aware of it.

Sorry about going a little bit "off topic" but I just wanted to mention that you are in fact "allowed" to mention the word FaceBook in CruiseCritic forums, you are just not allowed to promote for any "FaceBook roll call group". ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=rollcalls#faq_fb

It took me about 4 months to get the refund. You may want to go to a certain unmentionable web site and message them the details so you know they are aware of it.

I am in the camp of waiting a bit. Calling or texting or messaging seems to just stir up the pot. I am sure they are aware that thousands of people are awaiting their refunds.

Then again, I would never give someone else my money to hold and then wait for them to send it back. Giving them money upfront works great for others - that is cool.

The night or in the wee hours of the AM before your cruise ends you should have an invoice slipped under your

cabin door or placed in a mailbox outside of it.

The invoice should note that you can stop by the Guest Registration desk for a cash refund if less than $50

and if for more get a check. If you do not claim your refund at that time it will be mailed to the address on file.

Cavet - just make sure the OBC is the REFUNDABLE type - if not - you are not getting a loonie shilling farthing

fraction of euro or whatever was the negotiable tender form of payment !

This is a classic case of refundable OBC being more trouble than it's worth. If a TA gives it to you, great! Spend it. Otherwise, it's of no added value. You'll get your money back. But, now you've spent time buying it, tracking it, questioning it here, and finally getting some back. Just pay your charges when you get off the ship. It's so much easier, obviously.

Why is it so big an issue to you of what other people do with their own money? The next time someone posts about pending CC holds from their pre-cruise stay making the available balance insufficient to pay their bill on board are you going to get snarky with them for NOT getting OBC ahead of time?

There are advantages and disadvantages to both buying OBC and not doing so. Enough said.

No!!!! Not enough said. If those charges make it impossible to pay your bills, why in world are you cruising? Wake up! I would never have thought about cruising if I had to worry about paying my bills. We didn't cruise for decades, for that exact reason.

This is a classic case of refundable OBC being more trouble than it's worth. If a TA gives it to you, great! Spend it. Otherwise, it's of no added value. You'll get your money back. But, now you've spent time buying it, tracking it, questioning it here, and finally getting some back. Just pay your charges when you get off the ship. It's so much easier, obviously.

I got $500 of OBC for $400 using the Amex offer so I will take free money with the possible inconvenience of not getting it back quickly if we don't happen to spend it all. Worth it to me.

I got $500 of OBC for $400 using the Amex offer so I will take free money with the possible inconvenience of not getting it back quickly if we don't happen to spend it all. Worth it to me.

Of course that makes sense. I think some of the comments was folks putting up their own money to have available for on board charges. (vs the very easy credit card route)

The next time someone posts about pending CC holds from their pre-cruise stay making the available balance insufficient to pay their bill on board are you going to get snarky with them for NOT getting OBC ahead of time?

There are advantages and disadvantages to both buying OBC and not doing so. Enough said.

I would imagine they would get snarky because if a CC hold is maxing out your card maybe that person shouldn't be cruising. Apples and oranges...

Jim

I would imagine they would get snarky because if a CC hold is maxing out your card maybe that person shouldn't be cruising. Apples and oranges...

Jim

So true. Gonna go get some popcorn now.

:(

Facebook is not unmentionable. I don't understand why people think that

Maybe they are Dave Ramsey followers with no debt. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have listed to Dave many times. I know he is big on no debt. But if you pay off your credit card in full when the bill comes in - that is still no debt.

For those unable to mentally handle that - I get it. And am sorry for their situation.

The night or in the wee hours of the AM before your cruise ends you should have an invoice slipped under your

cabin door or placed in a mailbox outside of it.

The invoice should note that you can stop by the Guest Registration desk for a cash refund if less than $50

and if for more get a check. If you do not claim your refund at that time it will be mailed to the address on file.

Cavet - just make sure the OBC is the REFUNDABLE type - if not - you are not getting a loonie shilling farthing

fraction of euro or whatever was the negotiable tender form of payment !

Sent from my iPad using Forums