14 Day Land Explorer May 22 - June 5 Review

crazytomatoes

I'm assuming this comment is about the free brewed coffee. Did you try to coffee that is available for a fee? (Do you regularly have specialty coffees?)

We were talking about the free coffee. It was terrible. We drink our coffee black, I enjoy the occasional special coffee but not first thing in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am enjoying your review and loving your pictures.

We have done your cruise twice on the Amsterdam. It is a great itinerary.

It is a great itinerary, we loved 14 days as well, this was our first time cruising for longer than 7 days. We are hooked. We have booked our next adventure already and it is 18 days. One of the reasons we booked this cruise on Hal was this itinerary, it checked off a lot of places on our list.

A few notes about the train excursion. This is a public train that has several whistle stops where passengers get on and off. The seats mostly face forward and you will at times travel facing backwards. The boxed lunch that was included was very good. The sandwich was a good size and well chilled. 10 hours is a long time to sit on a train. There are a few places where you get off but essentially you sit on the train all day. The He staff is very good and they work hard to make your time on the train pleasant. Lastly don't be late at stops. One gentleman missed the train and had to catch up later along the line. The pictures we took were fantastic and we enjoyed ourselves.

Thanks, this response speaks volumes. (Though personal tastes still vary...)

We eventually found that if we filled a mug 3/4 full and topped it up with hot water it was somewhat drinkable. Otherwise we ordered a single shot expresso topped off with hot water from the cafe

I have a question about the route. The itinerary says the first day is Vancouver Island-Cruising. OK, so we're sailing by. Southbound, the day we pass Vancouver Island, it just says At Sea.

So is there really a difference between the two days? Or is HAL trying to make it look like more than it is?

In Anchorage we took a 10 hour train excursion. We took a short bus ride to the train station, bought a coffee and picked up our box lunches before boarding the train. We saw some spectacular sights that were only accessible by train. It was a long day but we enjoyed the adventure

enhance

enhance

Where did this train excursion go to and what was the cost?:)

I have a question about the route. The itinerary says the first day is Vancouver Island-Cruising. OK, so we're sailing by. Southbound, the day we pass Vancouver Island, it just says At Sea.

So is there really a difference between the two days? Or is HAL trying to make it look like more than it is?

There is really no difference at all, on day two you cannot really even see Vancouver Island at all, basically it is a sea day. Hal is trying to make it look like more than it is in my opinion.

Where did this train excursion go to and what was the cost?:)

We paid $215.00 per person. The train goes to Whittier first, you can get off the train there and wander around for approx. an hour. Then the train goes back the way you came, heading towards Grandview. At Grandview you head back towards Anchorage. about an hour from Anchorage you leave the train and board a bus that takes you back to the ship.

Save

Kodiak was our next stop, it is a charming port and we really enjoyed it. When we arrived we grabbed cab and took it to Fort Abercrombie. The cab driver gave us his card and we called him when we were done exploring and he picked us up where he dropped us off. It cost about $20.00 each way including tip for the cab. Once there we explored the park and museum. We were there for about 3 hours. This was my sons favourite port.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Save

Edited by crazytomatoes
spelling

My Husband and I were celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary on this trip and we booked a Vow Renewal Celebration. The ceremony cost $129.00 plus we paid 13.50 for each additional; guest. The cost included the ceremony, appetizers and champagne before hand, flowers in our stateroom, an album made for us that included copies of our vows, a certificate and 2 - 8x10 photos and a cake. It also included dinner for 2 at the Pinnacle Grill (we purchased 4 more dinners so our family could join us. Our guests received invitations, as did we inviting us to the celebration. The ceremony took place at the crows nest, there were fresh flowers and a pianist who played beautiful music throughout the evening.

I can't say enough how wonderful it was. We were lucky that it was only us that had signed up and we had the event all to ourselves. The Captain sat and visited with us for a bit before the ceremony and then preformed the vows. We had cake afterwards and then there was a toast. Champagne flowed freely throughout the evening

My Dad re-read the original toast to the bride that my uncle sent to him, it was very touching and emotional. We were very honoured that our family was there to share this occasion with us.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

We are foodies and much to my sons disappointment we take food photos - Gasp! Please indulge me while I post a few food pics. We were very happy with almost everything we were served - the food was exceptional. Here are just a few foodie pics...

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

our table

enhance