Needing help from Fiumicino Airport to Civitavecchia on same day of Cruise

Thanks for the link, I think we will be getting off at S. Pietro. Another site mentions a BIRG ticket we can buy at the train station and magazine stand which lets us ride R and RV trains and all Rome metro/buses for 24 hours.

Great info from everyone so far. I personally like Termini better as a starting point much better than S. Pietro.

Also I want to add the Frecciabianca (non-stop) trains are soooo much nicer than the Regional. I would personally not do the BIRG ticket unless you feel it's an excellent value over a separate Frecciabianca ticket plus the metro a la carte. This is just my own personal preference.

Now that Roninrome website is gone, this is the next best that I have found re CV cruise port, shuttle locations, etc that could help you (and anyone else!) a great deal

http://cruiseportwiki.com/Civitavecchia

I wouldn't could on them holding the ship. If you are delayed an hour or two? Maybe, especially if they are waiting on a LOT of delayed pax coming in on a particular flight. But if it's a significant delay, and/or it means the ship might be late getting to its first port, forget it; it's unlikely that they will inconvenience the thousands of pax who ARE onboard and are anxious to begin their cruise.

O I agree completely, but if they know of the delay and it is short then they are more likely to hold than if you are truly on your own. Kind of like booking an excursion on the ship.

JC

I should put a caution note in:

All three train stations we used (airport, port of CV, and Termini) for these longer trips had some unsavory characters mingling around the ticket machines. I'm a big dude and they didn't mess with me, but I had my wife buy the tickets as I stood guard behind her with our bags. They mostly seem to want to check the return coin slots for people forgetting change, but there were definitely some shady folks there. You're an experienced traveler, but keep extra watch at these spots.

I'm sad that Ron in Rome seems to have shut his site down. He had step-by-step photos for each screen of the ticket machines and where they were in the room. That guy made my first trip to Rome SOOOOO SOOOO easy.

His advice on the machines put me on the lookout, so the least I can do is pass it on.

Have you tried the man in seat 61 website. He usually spells out European train travel very well. He is English, I think. I have used his guidance all over Europe and the UK.

JC