Needing help from Fiumicino Airport to Civitavecchia on same day of Cruise

Personally, I would not fly in the morning of the cruise on a cruise from a USA airport to a USA cruise port so I definitely wouldn't do one flying from the USA to Rome.

That said, I would say that if you missed sailaway from the port, you might be able to catch up fairly easily depending on where the next port is. However, if the next day was a sea day you would miss day one and day two. Which if you are talking about a typical 7 day cruise you will be missing almost 30% of your cruise.

Only you know how much risk you are willing to take. When I was relatively new to cruising, we did something similar to what you are contemplating. We flew into Milan with a transfer with Celebrity to the port of Genoa, 2 hour ish trip. We landed in Milan at 8AM and we had a 6PM sailaway. We made it easily, but that was the last time I have done such a thing.

I would definitely consider booking the cruiseline transfer or even Choice Air, because if you did miss the flight they will know, and they might delay sailing because of that. Versus you are own your own, and they really don't have any obligation to wait for you.

JC

We always do the train. Reliable and on time. 11Eu each is good value.

Change at Trastevere without a problem. They are spacious and plenty room for luggage.

Lifts in Trastevere fo change of platform. Trenitallia web site is good to plan with times. Easy walk from terminal to airport train station.

Even flying in the day of the cruise I would use the train.

YES you would make it, considering that you are really arriving with no delays by 11;00am, take one hour for customs and baggage pick up, so that makes you to 12;00, so if you have a ride service ready to pick you up by 12;30, it will bring you right to the ship in one hour, so ou arrive by 1;30, so yes its very doable, but if flight

leaves and arrives on time, and you have no baggages lost,,,, so having it done multiple time the trip your doing, on our first trip to rome, our flight left over 5 hours later, we were to arrive room at 8;00am in the morning instead we got there at 1;30, and our plan back then was to take the train, which was a big no no by that time, and we had no reserved service, so by the time we got a service to bring us, 150EURO later we made it to the ship at 3;30 on the noise, YES MY ANXIETY WAS WAY HIGH,,, it was our first European cruise, we didn't get to enjoy the sail off , and have left many other times since, and I always fly in the night before, get to relax at a hotel in Civitavecchia, get to be the first to board the next morning nice and calm and enjoy just sitting a sipping our first drink,,,, so matter of choice...ENJOY YOUR CRUISE...

Has anyone flown into Fiumicino Airport and gotten on the cruise ship in Civitavecchia the same day? I am planning on going on the October 6th, 2018 cruise and want to know if I arrive at the airport by 10:00-11:00 am would be sufficient to make it to boarding by 3 or 4PM. We have never done any international travel just local ports like Miami and Port Canaveral. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Personally, I would not fly in the morning of the cruise on a cruise from a USA airport to a USA cruise port so I definitely wouldn't do one flying from the USA to Rome.

That said, I would say that if you missed sailaway from the port, you might be able to catch up fairly easily depending on where the next port is. However, if the next day was a sea day you would miss day one and day two. Which if you are talking about a typical 7 day cruise you will be missing almost 30% of your cruise.

Only you know how much risk you are willing to take. When I was relatively new to cruising, we did something similar to what you are contemplating. We flew into Milan with a transfer with Celebrity to the port of Genoa, 2 hour ish trip. We landed in Milan at 8AM and we had a 6PM sailaway. We made it easily, but that was the last time I have done such a thing.

I would definitely consider booking the cruiseline transfer or even Choice Air, because if you did miss the flight they will know, and they might delay sailing because of that. Versus you are own your own, and they really don't have any obligation to wait for you.

JC

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

YES you would make it, considering that you are really arriving with no delays by 11;00am, take one hour for customs and baggage pick up, so that makes you to 12;00, so if you have a ride service ready to pick you up by 12;30, it will bring you right to the ship in one hour, so ou arrive by 1;30, so yes its very doable, but if flight

leaves and arrives on time, and you have no baggages lost,,,, so having it done multiple time the trip your doing, on our first trip to rome, our flight left over 5 hours later, we were to arrive room at 8;00am in the morning instead we got there at 1;30, and our plan back then was to take the train, which was a big no no by that time, and we had no reserved service, so by the time we got a service to bring us, 150EURO later we made it to the ship at 3;30 on the noise, YES MY ANXIETY WAS WAY HIGH,,, it was our first European cruise, we didn't get to enjoy the sail off , and have left many other times since, and I always fly in the night before, get to relax at a hotel in Civitavecchia, get to be the first to board the next morning nice and calm and enjoy just sitting a sipping our first drink,,,, so matter of choice...ENJOY YOUR CRUISE...

Since you have done this trip before which is the best airport to fly in to and then what hotel do you suggest for just Two adults? I am coming from US. Also what is your choice of transport from the hotel to the port. Thanks

Since you have done this trip before which is the best airport to fly in to and then what hotel do you suggest for just Two adults? I am coming from US. Also what is your choice of transport from the hotel to the port. Thanks

I am not the person you are quoting, and I haven't been to Rome since 2004, although, I have helped friends visit several times since then.

If you land any time the day before there is really no pressure, as to where you stay or how you get to port. Those issue become important when you are in need of quick movement.

If you arrive in Rome the day before the cruise. I would pick whatever hotel is within your budget, using resources like tripadvisor etc to pick a hotel. The cheapest way to the port would be by train, so a hotel near Termini (train station) would be a great choice. We stayed at a Mercure hotel a long time ago, across from St Mary's cathedral. It was nice and about 2 blocks from the train station. I remember sitting on the rooftop listening to the bells looking over the city drinking champagne one night.

However since you are flying into Fumincino (Leonardo Da Vinci) and the cruise port is near by. I would probably book a hotel there. If you have the energy there is great ruined city near there called Ostia (Antigua). It is a massive city (ruined) that you can visit. We killed time in Fumincino before a trip back to the USA and drove by it and it is massive. There are beaches there and it is a decent quaint area.

Italy is always amazing, and spending time in any of its little towns is always surprisingly pleasant. Rome is awesome, but the small towns are really Italy.

JC

If you stay at the San Georgio in Civitavecchia, they have a free shuttle to the ship.

If you are early and check into the hotel, you can get the train into Rome for 5 Euros for the day

We live in the UK and I would never fly in the same morning of a cruise in the med. we always fly in the night before or maybe take a few days in the embarkation port first if we haven't been recently. Whether or not you choose to fly in that morning can I highly recommend romecabs - fantastic , professional service and good value. I think if you go choose to fly in that morning I would organize a private transfer as time will be important and you wouldn't want to start messing around with public transport.

Either way , enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you stay at the San Georgio in Civitavecchia, they have a free shuttle to the ship.

If you are early and check into the hotel, you can get the train into Rome for 5 Euros for the day

Curious about the train(s) into Rome from CV. Are there several per day, and possibly express and "local" versions?

I wouldn't could on them holding the ship. If you are delayed an hour or two? Maybe, especially if they are waiting on a LOT of delayed pax coming in on a particular flight. But if it's a significant delay, and/or it means the ship might be late getting to its first port, forget it; it's unlikely that they will inconvenience the thousands of pax who ARE onboard and are anxious to begin their cruise.

Curious about the train(s) into Rome from CV. Are there several per day, and possibly express and "local" versions?

I get to answer YOUR question for once?? Hahaha

Yeah, Bob. We've done that ride a few times and there were both regular trains and express trains. The express trains were about 20% faster but they still had a few stops. It wasn't like a true point to point express between CV and Termini with no stops. I'd gladly pay the few extra Euros for that again. The local train was a bit annoying.

I get to answer YOUR question for once?? Hahaha

Yeah, Bob. We've done that ride a few times and there were both regular trains and express trains. The express trains were about 20% faster but they still had a few stops. It wasn't like a true point to point express between CV and Termini with no stops. I'd gladly pay the few extra Euros for that again. The local train was a bit annoying.

Thanks! Is this something I should purchase ahead of time, or is it no big deal to purchase the day of?

Thanks! Is this something I should purchase ahead of time, or is it no big deal to purchase the day of?

We never purchased ahead. There are ticket machines that take cards in the lobby.

The local train was only 5€ and took about 70 minutes. There was an oddball train here or there that was like 90 minutes and I couldn't figure out why it was so much longer. The express was about 50 minutes and cost 9€.

The real thing to note is (unless they've changed this in the last 3 years) is that the walk from the CV train station to the CV port is about 2 miles. It was a nice half hour walk through town with our bags. A ton of people were calling shuttles and cabs.

It wasn't a bad walk, just a small town with typical issues: uneven sidewalks in a few places, crossing streets, push/pull/drag your bags in the process, and getting stuck behind someone strolling slowly when you just want to get to your ship.

At Termini, there is any form of transport you could imagine to get to your hotel or destination. It's a seriously large place that you might want to take a peek of the layout of. There are dozens of entrances/exits and different trains pull further in/farther out on the tracks.

I should put a caution note in:

All three train stations we used (airport, port of CV, and Termini) for these longer trips had some unsavory characters mingling around the ticket machines. I'm a big dude and they didn't mess with me, but I had my wife buy the tickets as I stood guard behind her with our bags. They mostly seem to want to check the return coin slots for people forgetting change, but there were definitely some shady folks there. You're an experienced traveler, but keep extra watch at these spots.

I'm sad that Ron in Rome seems to have shut his site down. He had step-by-step photos for each screen of the ticket machines and where they were in the room. That guy made my first trip to Rome SOOOOO SOOOO easy.

His advice on the machines put me on the lookout, so the least I can do is pass it on.

Has anyone flown into Fiumicino Airport and gotten on the cruise ship in Civitavecchia the same day? I am planning on going on the October 6th, 2018 cruise and want to know if I arrive at the airport by 10:00-11:00 am would be sufficient to make it to boarding by 3 or 4PM. We have never done any international travel just local ports like Miami and Port Canaveral. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I've done this many times,

Go to Romecabs online. Make a reservation. That's it.

No need to make this less enjoyable and more difficult than it has to be.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We never purchased ahead. There are ticket machines that take cards in the lobby.

The local train was only 5€ and took about 70 minutes. There was an oddball train here or there that was like 90 minutes and I couldn't figure out why it was so much longer. The express was about 50 minutes and cost 9€.

The real thing to note is (unless they've changed this in the last 3 years) is that the walk from the CV train station to the CV port is about 2 miles. It was a nice half hour walk through town with our bags. A ton of people were calling shuttles and cabs.

It wasn't a bad walk, just a small town with typical issues: uneven sidewalks in a few places, crossing streets, push/pull/drag your bags in the process, and getting stuck behind someone strolling slowly when you just want to get to your ship.

At Termini, there is any form of transport you could imagine to get to your hotel or destination. It's a seriously large place that you might want to take a peek of the layout of. There are dozens of entrances/exits and different trains pull further in/farther out on the tracks.

I really appreciate the detailed info. In our case, we are staying a few days in CV, so we will be taking a day trip (or two) into Rome, so no luggage. We will be walking from the San Georgio. The walk sounds like it might be pleasant. :)

I apologize to the OP for the thread detour.

Noted and appreciated.:)

Bob,

Just home from work.

http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

On the Tren web site,

From; Civitavecchia (Tutte Le Stazione) To Roma Termini.

Put the time in you want to travel and it tells you what platform. Buy the ticket in the station and remember to validate it.

They usually run every half hour early morning and hourly after that. On return they are the same. Half hourly at peak times.

Not sure what you want to do in Rome, we got off at San Pietro and walked down to the Vatican.

If you want to go, buy tickets in advance here;

https://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking&codiceTipoVisita=26&step=2

Choose an allocated time, but go early as you will get in and be fast tracked.

Everything in Rome is in walking distance.

Anything else, drop me a line. alex moir at Hotmail dot com

I should put a caution note in:

All three train stations we used (airport, port of CV, and Termini) for these longer trips had some unsavory characters mingling around the ticket machines. I'm a big dude and they didn't mess with me, but I had my wife buy the tickets as I stood guard behind her with our bags. They mostly seem to want to check the return coin slots for people forgetting change, but there were definitely some shady folks there. You're an experienced traveler, but keep extra watch at these spots.

I'm sad that Ron in Rome seems to have shut his site down. He had step-by-step photos for each screen of the ticket machines and where they were in the room. That guy made my first trip to Rome SOOOOO SOOOO easy.

His advice on the machines put me on the lookout, so the least I can do is pass it on.

It hasn't changed much since you were in Rome.

Try Tom Ogg http://www.tomsportguides.com/port-guides.html

Bob,

Just home from work.

http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

On the Tren web site,

From; Civitavecchia (Tutte Le Stazione) To Roma Termini.

Put the time in you want to travel and it tells you what platform. Buy the ticket in the station and remember to validate it.

They usually run every half hour early morning and hourly after that. On return they are the same. Half hourly at peak times.

Not sure what you want to do in Rome, we got off at San Pietro and walked down to the Vatican.

If you want to go, buy tickets in advance here;

https://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking&codiceTipoVisita=26&step=2

Choose an allocated time, but go early as you will get in and be fast tracked.

Everything in Rome is in walking distance.

Anything else, drop me a line. alex moir at Hotmail dot com

Thanks for the link, I think we will be getting off at S. Pietro. Another site mentions a BIRG ticket we can buy at the train station and magazine stand which lets us ride R and RV trains and all Rome metro/buses for 24 hours.

The lady in the ticket office in Civitavechia speaks English.

I just bought daily tickets at the machine or counter in Italy. All the long distance trips I bought in advance on Trenitalia.

One thing - don't forget the stairs!! Our days of taking the train are finished now as we are too infirm to hoick cases about😂 Going into Civitavechia, you need to change platforms to exit.

It is a lovely journey on the train.

Thanks for the link, I think we will be getting off at S. Pietro. Another site mentions a BIRG ticket we can buy at the train station and magazine stand which lets us ride R and RV trains and all Rome metro/buses for 24 hours.

The kiosk charges 1 Eu each more. The same in the Airport.

The Birg is a regional ticket and casn be used on buses. The metro from San Pietro to the Coliseum is only 1 Euro each as is from the Coliseum to Termini if you don't want to walk to catch the train back to Civi.

It's better to get the train back from Termini as you have a good choice of seats. It can get busy around 4pm until 6pm.

Try and stay a bit later as it's really nice lit up at night. Something we don't get to see on a 1 day port stop.

The kiosk charges 1 Eu each more. The same in the Airport.

The Birg is a regional ticket and casn be used on buses. The metro from San Pietro to the Coliseum is only 1 Euro each as is from the Coliseum to Termini if you don't want to walk to catch the train back to Civi.

It's better to get the train back from Termini as you have a good choice of seats. It can get busy around 4pm until 6pm.

Try and stay a bit later as it's really nice lit up at night. Something we don't get to see on a 1 day port stop.

Great tip to pick up the train at Termini! Would not have thought of that.:D