Alaska info

SALAD MUNCHER

Hi all, we are on the Infinity cruising to Alaska in July. I have been reading all the 'dress code' threads, many of which state there are usually 2 Evening Chic nights on these cruises. I have just checked our 'calendar' and note all seven nights are classed as Smart Casual. Does this mean we don't need to pack 'formal' typed wear or will Celebrity change the code once we are on board? Any suggestions and help would be useful, Thanks

Hi all, we are on the Infinity cruising to Alaska in July. I have been reading all the 'dress code' threads, many of which state there are usually 2 Evening Chic nights on these cruises. I have just checked our 'calendar' and note all seven nights are classed as Smart Casual. Does this mean we don't need to pack 'formal' typed wear or will Celebrity change the code once we are on board? Any suggestions and help would be useful, Thanks
Unless they have just changed the policy, most likely it was a misprint as there were 2 Evening Chic nights on the Infinity when we were on it for an Alaska cruise recently.

However, there is no need to pack "formal" type wear unless you enjoy dressing up as at least half the people on our cruise wore the same type clothing on Evening Chic nights as on Smart Casual nights.

The main difference we observed was that some of the men added a jacket (of one type or another) on the Evening Chic nights. We noticed only 3 men wearing a dinner suit (or tux to Americans).

Even before the introduction of Evening Chic, passengers would dress more casually on Alaska cruises than on some other itineraries.

But if you enjoy dressing up and wish to do so, by all means do.

Wear whatever makes you happy.

There will likely be such a variety in styles of dress that you should not feel out of place, regardless of whether or not you choose to dress up.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Edited by varoo

Unless they have just changed the policy, most likely it was a misprint as there were 2 Evening Chic nights on the Infinity when we were on it for an Alaska cruise recently.

However, there is no need to pack "formal" type wear unless you enjoy dressing up as at least half the people on our cruise wore the same type clothing on Evening Chic nights as on Smart Casual nights.

The main difference we observed was that some of the men added a jacket (of one type or another) on the Evening Chic nights. We noticed only 3 men wearing a dinner suit (or tux to Americans).

Even before the introduction of Evening Chic, passengers would dress more casually on Alaska cruises than on some other itineraries.

But if you enjoy dressing up and wish to do so, by all means do.

Wear whatever makes you happy.

There will likely be such a variety in styles of dress that you should not feel out of place, regardless of whether or not you choose to dress up.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks for the advice! Think we'll leave the 'tux' at home....

I did not see any tuxes on our Infinity Cruise earlier this month, I did notice an uptick in "Fancy" dress on the first chic night. The second was after our stop in Juneau and the all aboard was 8 pm so not as many in fancy dress.

Along the same line.....I DO enjoy dressing up and never miss a "formal" night. I also like being waited on as one of cruisings perks! However this is my 1st/AK and 1st X cruise. It's my understanding that due to the long daylight hours, and the position of the buffet (Oceanview Cafe"), that I may want to skip the MDR and eat with a view.

If I have this right so far, would I be missing anything in the MDR on "evening chic" night, like AK King Crab or Lobster, that would make me change my mind. I've only ever flown to a port once for a cruise, and that was Singapore, so I wasn't packing all these layers I need for AK. I'm happy to skip the MDR, if the buffet and the views are worth it.

Your input and insight is much appreciated AND if any recent Hubbard Glacier / Infinity cruisers have the Daillies to share, I'd be most grateful.

Happy Cruising everyone!

MDR menus will be posted outside the restaurant each day. If you see something you like then you can dine there, if not, try the buffet. The lobster is usually warm water lobster and not that great. I've never seen crab legs offered and have done 2 Alaska cruises. The only time we had locally sourced seafood was in Maine when they had Maine lobsters one night.

Along the same line.....I DO enjoy dressing up and never miss a "formal" night. I also like being waited on as one of cruisings perks! However this is my 1st/AK and 1st X cruise. It's my understanding that due to the long daylight hours, and the position of the buffet (Oceanview Cafe"), that I may want to skip the MDR and eat with a view.

If I have this right so far, would I be missing anything in the MDR on "evening chic" night, like AK King Crab or Lobster, that would make me change my mind. I've only ever flown to a port once for a cruise, and that was Singapore, so I wasn't packing all these layers I need for AK. I'm happy to skip the MDR, if the buffet and the views are worth it.

Your input and insight is much appreciated AND if any recent Hubbard Glacier / Infinity cruisers have the Daillies to share, I'd be most grateful.

Happy Cruising everyone!

We sailed on the Solstice to Alaska last month. You're right about the long daylight hours giving you some incredible views during dinner. Our best whale-watching while aboard happened to be while dining in the Tuscan Grill. It's aft location and large windows was perfect!