Fort Lauderdale to Orlando

SteveDebbie

We are from Australia and planning our Caribbean cruise for next year. After the cruise we want to go to Orlando for a few days.

Any thoughts on the best way to get from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando?

We are trying to work out if it is better to fly, drive, bus, private transfer etc..

Thanks

We got a rental car and drove. It's about a 3 hours drive on FL Turnpike. Some rental companies' cars are registered with electronic tolls so you don't have to stop and pay cash at toll booths, but they charge a daily fee in addition to the actual tolls to use that service. Tolls and service fee will show up as a separate charge on your credit card a few weeks later.

Amtrak is an option. We haven't looked at buses. Private transfer would be expensive based on the distance.

It all depends on what you plan to do in Orlando or if you're staying at one of the theme park hotels. I would say get a rental and drive. It's about a 3.5 hr drive. You could use the car to get around and explore Orlando.

i've done the reverse twice - Orlando for theme parks before a cruise departing Miami - and I flew between the two cities.

it cost about $60 each and took about 45 minutes.

i thought it was easier than figuring out a bus/train/car rental.

We have done a similar thing in January this year. We flew into Orlando for the theme parks and then hired a car and drove to Fort Lauderdale via cocoa beach for our cruise. We dropped the car right near the port and they had a shuttle to the terminal. Very easy.

If your comfortable driving on the wrong side [emoji12], it wasn't as difficult as we thought it might be.

I agree the Florida departures board has lots of good info.

Have a great trip

Sent from my iPad using Forums