Seattle airport

Cruises alot

Other ports need to pay attention to Port of Seattle!

Port of Seattle is pretty unabashed on their web site about the program allowing cruise passengers to not worry about their luggage so they can spend some time (and money!) downtown. This year over one million cruise passengers on 218 sailings will pass through Seattle and most through Sea-Tac airport. Each cruise ship sailing contributes $2.6 million to the local economy including about $18 million in state & local taxes. The Port Valet service probably pays for itself in the extra spending people can do instead of rushing off to the airport.

I just came back from an Alaskan cruise from SeaTac. SeaTac offered to take my luggage at the airport and get it to the ship, I would see it at my cabin. On the return trip SeaTac did not offer luggage valet. I had to get it at the port, put it on the shuttle bus and leave it at the American counter. Everyone that I talked to when I got home had no luggage valet offered to them from the port to the airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW !

Thanks for the heads-up about the Free Luggage Transfer Program from the Ship to the Airline.

Great Information since I haven't been to Seattle in about 10 years....but looking forward to it in August.

I don't have an opinion on whether or not you can make the 12pm flight since we did not go directly from the port to the airport, but I have to agree with the SeaTac is a madhouse comment. We were there in June 2016. Both had TSA PreCheck and my mother requested wheelchair assistance because of her bad foot. That actually turned out to be a godsend. The security lines were winding all over the place; I'm not sure we would've found the end of the precheck or regular lines without the person pushing my mother around. Because of the wheelchair, we were able to go right to the front of the line, which was unexpected but we weren't complaining. I can't imagine how long people were standing in those lines. Just seems to be poorly designed.

I don't have an opinion on whether or not you can make the 12pm flight since we did not go directly from the port to the airport, but I have to agree with the SeaTac is a madhouse comment. We were there in June 2016. Both had TSA PreCheck and my mother requested wheelchair assistance because of her bad foot. That actually turned out to be a godsend. The security lines were winding all over the place; I'm not sure we would've found the end of the precheck or regular lines without the person pushing my mother around. Because of the wheelchair, we were able to go right to the front of the line, which was unexpected but we weren't complaining. I can't imagine how long people were standing in those lines. Just seems to be poorly designed.

My mum is 92 and I'll have to have a wheelchair for her. Hope this won't be a problem.

I'm on Amsterdam, July 17th. Having sailed out of Vancouver the past couple of yrs, it's been a few yrs since I flew out of Seattle and was going to ask if HAL still offers Luggage Direct (I think that is what it was called). You mentioned Port Valet. Is that the same service? Do you know if Delta is included in that? I've always used it before and loved it! I hope this is the same and works w/ Delta too.

Hi we are on the same cruise as you,flying delta, and they are part of the program. Just make sure your departure times work. See you on board.

Terri aka augie's mom

I'm on Amsterdam, July 17th. Having sailed out of Vancouver the past couple of yrs, it's been a few yrs since I flew out of Seattle and was going to ask if HAL still offers Luggage Direct (I think that is what it was called). You mentioned Port Valet. Is that the same service? Do you know if Delta is included in that? I've always used it before and loved it! I hope this is the same and works w/ Delta too.

Luggage Direct and Port Valet are basically the same service however, there is a charge for Luggage Direct( which has been used at other ports as well) and the Port Valet is provided by the port of Seattle and is free.

It is a shame that Sound Transit couldn't incorporate it's Sea Tac terminal better to the airport's terminal plan. It is quite a walk to get to and from the train from Baggage Claims 1-9. Also, hopefully the new cars for expanding the system are better designed for luggage. I was surprised to see that bicycles take precedence over travelers with luggage. Take a look at the European Light Rail systems that better serve airports.

Used to be that the bicycle spot on Link lightrail was just for bikes but that has changed to "first come, first serve" for luggage or bikes. Still it is a pretty small area in each car. Recently they improved the walkway from the terminal to the lightrail station with some plastic "windows" and overhead heaters which will help after cruise season is done but the same report on local TV mentioned no plans to add a moving walkway due to supposed elevation changes - which I don't recall ever noticing. They do however now offer handicap electric cart service similar to inside the terminal for people with mobility issues.