Cape Canaveral Rocket Launch

TATSR

Just noticed that there's a SpaceX launch scheduled for 7:30pm. We're on Magic scheduled to leave at 4:30. This is our first cruise; how far away will we be at 7:30? Any chance we can see it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just noticed that there's a SpaceX launch scheduled for 7:30pm. We're on Magic scheduled to leave at 4:30. This is our first cruise; how far away will we be at 7:30? Any chance we can see it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends. You can see it across the state on a clear sky. However, you have many variables, including the fact if you are looking into the sun as dusk, and it is between you and the sun, you most likely won't see it, but if it is in the night sky than it would be clear...etc etc etc.

Cruised out of Tampa once. About an hour or so out and just around sunset the space shuttle took off. Watched it climb with the setting sunlight turning the rocket exhaust a red-orange color. Very cool.

Not a cruise, but in 2006, the space shuttle was scheduled to launch on Thursday during our vacation in Daytona beach. We had planed to watch over dinner & drinks from our ocean-view balcony, when the launch was scrapped.

Saturday morning, when I went online to check in for our Sunday am flight home on SWA, I discovered that I had actually booked the return flight for Sat, and missed it. After scrambling to get another flight, the only one I could get was for 8pm that night (Sat), cutting our vacation short a day, and creating a chaotic rush to pack, check out and get to the airport.

About a half hour into the flight (from Orlando to Hartford), the captain announced that the Space Shuttle had launched and he had received permission to turn the plane around temporarily so we could view it from the air. It was an incredible sight, but the most memorable thing about it to me was the excitement in the Captain’s voice as he made the announcement – like a little kid about to meet his favorite sports hero.

You'll be around 60-75 miles from port. Should be nice to view from the sea.

I saw one of the launches on the Magic from Port Canaveral. Awesome sight.

I saw one of the very last shuttle missions in 2010 from the top deck of Monarch of the Seas just before we departed. I use to live in Central FL and could see it pretty good but had never been THAT close. What an awesome sight for sure!

29755_1296056557146_501639_n.jpg?oh=6be61172bba8187964e4b9299dee88f4&oe=59C80647

29755_1296056637148_4131826_n.jpg?oh=0c43981b65278892a29bf9ca96ae15d4&oe=59D76091

Wish I got to see a shuttle launch. I did get to watch the Cassini spacecraft launch from the Jetty park pier at Port Canaveral back in Oct. 97.

I was on a business trip to Orlando and got word of the impending launch. So I drove over in the middle of the night, watched the launch, and was back in time for morning meetings.

That was absolutely amazing!