Locanda Cipriani on the island of Torcello, Venice

spinnaker2

Spins,

My experience isn't very recent and I'd say that the compelling reason to go would be to have a break from the crowds for a few hours. I went once with a large group and once with wifey.

I suspect that you will conclude that the food is more than adequate but like many things in Venice might not fully justify the price and may not have the degree of finesse anticipated. Even for Venice I think it was over-priced. If you're happy with that then ....

has anyone been to this restaurant?

We have several days in Venice and I would like to go to the restaurant if it's worthwhile...

Any other suggestions?

This was our "overnight" stay away from the Muse last week. The trip itself the most awesome thing Ive ever done. The restaurant was ok - in my mind, not worth the money food wise, but you cannot argue with the view.

I captured the menus from there too - which I can upload from my phone in a bit.

These videos from the room will probably be of interest.

Eating lunch in the garden at Locanda Cipriani, particularly on a lazy Sunday afternoon in the summer when there are often more Venetians there than tourists, is one of my favorite things to do when I'm in Venice. If you go, try to arrive in Torcello early enough to see the mosaics at Santa Maria Assunta, which is just beyond Locanda Cipriani, as you walk from the vaporetto dock. If you are thinking about having dinner, you may need to hire a private boat to take you back to Venice; I think the last public boat may leave Torcello just about the time dinner service begins. (You will also need mosquito repellent if you plan to be there at dusk.) I will be there again in a few weeks, if there is anything in particular you want me to find out for you.

In terms of restaurants in Venice, I suggest Osteria alle Testiere. It is tiny, with only two seatings each night, and expensive; you may have to make a reservation (via email) several weeks in advance. The food and service are exceptional.

Trattoria da Ig****o, a family-run restaurant with tables in a walled-in garden, is another of my favorite places for lunch and dinner. The food, which is traditional Venetian, is fresh from the market and consistently good. You can send them email to reserve a table; I often just stop by early in the day to reserve a table for dinner.

Thanks Sonja. Sounds great.

I like the idea of a walled in garden.

We ate at some restaurant years ago on one of the islands and we finished so late we were essentially stranded there. We did have to pay an exorbitant amount to return to Venice. Luckily the couple we were with had a hotel concierge they could call for assistance because we were staying at a private apartment in cannaregio and had no phone!

Have you ever eaten at da la Marisa?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We ate at some restaurant years ago on one of the islands and we finished so late we were essentially stranded there. We did have to pay an exorbitant amount to return to Venice. Luckily the couple we were with had a hotel concierge they could call for assistance because we were staying at a private apartment in cannaregio and had no phone!

I knew there was a reason that Torcello was in my mind when I was rambling above earlier. For lunch before returning to the airport and flight back to Pisa, we visited this restaurant, which was exactly as you describe in being an enclosed Garden restaurant on a canal. It was certainly a very pleasant lunch on a Tuesday afternoon and worth considering. Posting mostly to see if Sonja knows this one and thoughts on it. (I had the La Terrazza favourite here!!)

64121f2b6ff743162936c31812574356.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew there was a reason that Torcello was in my mind when I was rambling above earlier. For lunch before returning to the airport and flight back to Pisa, we visited this restaurant, which was exactly as you describe in being an enclosed Garden restaurant on a canal. It was certainly a very pleasant lunch on a Tuesday afternoon and worth considering. Posting mostly to see if Sonja knows this one and thoughts on it. (I had the La Terrazza favourite here!!)

64121f2b6ff743162936c31812574356.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I have eaten at this restaurant many years ago, and I remember being delighted by the experience.

It is a good alternative to Locanda Cipriani.

Karen

I've never eaten at dalla Marisa, although it has been on my list of places to try for a long time now. Have you been there?

Karen

Do you speak Italian, it will help!

Yes, I do...or did. I am a bit rusty now until I've had a glass or two of Prosecco.

I did graduate work in Venice and picked up some Veneziano as well while I lived there.

Karen

Perfect. La Nonna will also be disappointed if you don't eat everything on your plate.

Domenica is a good day to go...the meal is only fish, and more fish.

But any day is good. Venetians get preference in tables and prices too. Eating inside is a privilege.

Outside is nice as well.