New to Cruises-- Would like opinion on Cruise Lines and ships

Sp00ky56

We are in our mid-sixties and have been on 30 some cruises. Cruise lines we have patronized include Carnival, Celebrity, Norwegian, Princess, and Royal Caribbean. We have found food, entertainment, activities, and atmosphere aboard most ships appear to be indistinguishable between cruise lines, but differ widely within a cruise line depending on the ship itself. Princess has seemed the best fit for us. Being retired and living in the mid-West, we no longer get on an airplane for anything less than 10 days at Sea. Often, that means we look for back-to-back (B2B) cruises on the same ship. Average age on a cruise appears to be more related to length of cruise than cruise line itself -- with shorter cruises lowering the age group. We were on a 28 day cruise where the average age was 87, walkways and elevators were rampant with cruisers using walkers, wheelchairs, motorized vehicles and we still thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My grandmother is in her 70s and likes holland America because "it makes her feel young" lol

I would recommend Princess

That's funny. :D DW and I are in our 40s and a member of the HAL crew jokingly asked us if we wanted to join Club HAL (their kids club).

That's funny. :D DW and I are in our 40s and a member of the HAL crew jokingly asked us if we wanted to join Club HAL (their kids club).

My DH and I are typically regular Celebrity and Royal passengers- we have sailed the others but always come back to either Celebrity or RC. I have been tempted to try HAL- but when I hear the "stories" about it being the nursing home of cruise lines- I chicken out. We aren't young- we are in our early sixties and active- Perhaps we will try it someday.

Thanks everyone. Not quite at the nursing home stage yet-- but one can go on a cruise every month for a few weeks and still not pay what a nursing home costs!! Anyway-- advice about the length of the cruise appears to be a factor in the age group and obviously looking at the amenities of the ship.

I feel hooked already and have not even gone on my first voyage. I lived all over when I was younger but the only ships I have been on were Dad's USN ships. Clangy metal stairs and the enlisted quarters were bunk beds-- no glamor there!!!