Considering Volendam for Alaska-

DnA2010

Hi All,

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread-

My mom would like to take my sister and her family (hubby, 10 month old) and my family (hubby, 10 month old, 13 year old) on an Alaskan cruise-

With having the babies, we are wanting round trip out of Vancouver as we can drive to the port, and have read that Glacier bay is excellent for glacier viewing and not to be missed.

My mom, sister and family have never cruised.

My family has cruised on the Disney Fantasy, and RCL Oasis and Freedom.

I'm hoping you can help me with a few questions-

-will there be some kids/teens on the ship for the 13 year old? It is summer vacation after all

-food: we aren't foodies, but do love good food- I've read that the food on Holland can be rather "banquet" like? Is possible to get things with more spice etc?

-will swimming be available in the covered pool?

-can you give me an idea of some of the daytime activities please?

Thanks so much!

Hey hi! Eight in my family did this cruise last year (June 2016) and it was fantastic. I can't speak to your questions for the 13yo (our youngest was 55!), but there is relatively little time to fill. Of 7 days, you are in ports for 3 and scenic cruising for 3! (The other "day" is composed of the afternoon you get on and get oriented, and the morning you are getting off.)

The food is usually good and if you ever get anything you don't like, you just ask for something else! No one will make you feel bad! We ate at the up-charge (but reasonable) Canaletto on the evening of the Glacier Bay day -- not your usual Italian! very tasty!

I assume there were young people on board and if they didn't want to look for eagles and sealions and whales, on the scenic days, they were probably in the teen-lounge... where I didn't see them of course!

Well, I hope you get more specific answers, I just didn't want your post to go without any replies at all, esp. asking about one of our favorite itineraries! (P.S. do the whale-watching excursion in Juneau -- I know it seems odd to get off a ship and get on a boat, but they take you where the ship can't go and whales are guaranteed! Ride the train in Skagway, I recommend the train up/bus down, to see different scenery, but you might also be interested in the ShoreX that combines RR and sled-dog camp.)

Hey hi! Eight in my family did this cruise last year (June 2016) and it was fantastic. I can't speak to your questions for the 13yo (our youngest was 55!), but there is relatively little time to fill. Of 7 days, you are in ports for 3 and scenic cruising for 3! (The other "day" is composed of the afternoon you get on and get oriented, and the morning you are getting off.)

The food is usually good and if you ever get anything you don't like, you just ask for something else! No one will make you feel bad! We ate at the up-charge (but reasonable) Canaletto on the evening of the Glacier Bay day -- not your usual Italian! very tasty!

I assume there were young people on board and if they didn't want to look for eagles and sealions and whales, on the scenic days, they were probably in the teen-lounge... where I didn't see them of course!

Well, I hope you get more specific answers, I just didn't want your post to go without any replies at all, esp. asking about one of our favorite itineraries! (P.S. do the whale-watching excursion in Juneau -- I know it seems odd to get off a ship and get on a boat, but they take you where the ship can't go and whales are guaranteed! Ride the train in Skagway, I recommend the train up/bus down, to see different scenery, but you might also be interested in the ShoreX that combines RR and sled-dog camp.)

Thank you so much for asking the time to write your detailed reply :)

We were on te Volendam last april/may, a crossing from Yokohama to Vancouver with a stop on Kodiak, cruising Glacier Bay and a stop in Ketchikan.

HAL does have a kids club, on our cruise there weren't much children but those who were onboard are being kept busy in the Loft, as the kids club is called. I saw them on several occasions together in the ship, apparently on some kind of treasure hunt.

Activities during the day vary from America's Test Kitchen, to lectures, trivia, bingo, movies, table tennis tournament etc.

Always something for everyone.

In Glacier Bay, park rangers joined the ship and they set up shop in the Crow's nest. They also provided commentary on the outside decks. Very interesting.

In general, the Volendam is in very good condition. It was our first time on her after several times on the Rotterdam, Ryndam en Zuiderdam we very much enjoyed the Volendam.

We were on te Volendam last april/may, a crossing from Yokohama to Vancouver with a stop on Kodiak, cruising Glacier Bay and a stop in Ketchikan.

HAL does have a kids club, on our cruise there weren't much children but those who were onboard are being kept busy in the Loft, as the kids club is called. I saw them on several occasions together in the ship, apparently on some kind of treasure hunt.

Activities during the day vary from America's Test Kitchen, to lectures, trivia, bingo, movies, table tennis tournament etc.

Always something for everyone.

In Glacier Bay, park rangers joined the ship and they set up shop in the Crow's nest. They also provided commentary on the outside decks. Very interesting.

In general, the Volendam is in very good condition. It was our first time on her after several times on the Rotterdam, Ryndam en Zuiderdam we very much enjoyed the Volendam.

Thank you for your reply!

Disney is a good cruise line for both food and young people activities. Do they go to Alaska?

All mainline cruise lines will serve "banquet level food" as their included main dining room food service. They are preparing thousands and thousands of meals a day in a limited galley space, with pre-packaged supplies on hand. And for their 24 hour army of crews behind the scenes as well. It is amazing the food comes out as good and as varied as it does on HAL ships, for the price. In fact it is so good, we rarely bother with the specialty extra cost dining options.

HI, We took 3 grandkids on Volendam to Alaska out of Vancouver. They loved it. They especially loved swimming every day! The kids were 11, 13 and 15, or so. The younger two (girl and boy) spent more time with the kids activities than the oldest (girl) who stuck with us mostly. And they loved the food too. They spent more time than some kids might watching for wildlife and did see some whales which thrilled them.

In Skagway they enjoyed the National Parks Service exhibit on the Gold Rush very much, more than I'd have expected, and they talked about it for days and still remember it. It's a free exhibit near the end of the pier as you walk into town.

In Ketchikan they wanted to see the birds of prey and the totem poles, both of which you can walk to and do on your own, nominal entrance fees.

You might want to consider car rentals as a more economical way to see places in and around Skagway and Ketchikan. You can drive a lot of the route that the White Pass and Yukon Railroad takes you - road on one side of the canyon, rail on the other side. Driving, you can stop and get out when desired. There are also mini-bus type tours available at the pier and in town but with a large group you might be better to book ahead.

Check out the roll call for your cruise, you might discover other teens who are booked. Happy planning, m--

Disney is a good cruise line for both food and young people activities. Do they go to Alaska?

All mainline cruise lines will serve "banquet level food" as their included main dining room food service. They are preparing thousands and thousands of meals a day in a limited galley space, with pre-packaged supplies on hand. And for their 24 hour army of crews behind the scenes as well. It is amazing the food comes out as good and as varied as it does on HAL ships, for the price. In fact it is so good, we rarely bother with the specialty extra cost dining options.

Disney goes to Alaska, but is much much more expensive unfortunately and also doesn't go to Glacier Bay which I was told was a must see. I just did a quick price check and Disney would be around 8K more for the same dates next year for our 3 cabins.

We've been quite happy with the MDR food that we've had on cruises so far, glad to hear that HAL will be good also.

Thanks so much for your thoughts

HI, We took 3 grandkids on Volendam to Alaska out of Vancouver. They loved it. They especially loved swimming every day! The kids were 11, 13 and 15, or so. The younger two (girl and boy) spent more time with the kids activities than the oldest (girl) who stuck with us mostly. And they loved the food too. They spent more time than some kids might watching for wildlife and did see some whales which thrilled them.

In Skagway they enjoyed the National Parks Service exhibit on the Gold Rush very much, more than I'd have expected, and they talked about it for days and still remember it. It's a free exhibit near the end of the pier as you walk into town.

In Ketchikan they wanted to see the birds of prey and the totem poles, both of which you can walk to and do on your own, nominal entrance fees.

You might want to consider car rentals as a more economical way to see places in and around Skagway and Ketchikan. You can drive a lot of the route that the White Pass and Yukon Railroad takes you - road on one side of the canyon, rail on the other side. Driving, you can stop and get out when desired. There are also mini-bus type tours available at the pier and in town but with a large group you might be better to book ahead.

Check out the roll call for your cruise, you might discover other teens who are booked. Happy planning, m--

Thank you so much for your reply! This is just what I wanted to hear! The 13 year old loves swimming and will be happy to hear the pool is open and that there were kids enjoying the programming

I looked for a roll call but I didn't seem to find one- I will take another look :)

DnA --

There! I'm glad some people with pertinent information found this thread and shared their knowledge!

You may not find a roll call -- you can start one, but no one may join. I don't know why AK cruises are often sparse on RC participation; no one ever joined mine last year (and I even listed all the Land-n-Sea numbers that were going to join or leave part way, still nada). Well, with eight of us we were our own group and you will have some numbers yourself! Sounds like your teen will be fine anyway.

DnA --

There! I'm glad some people with pertinent information found this thread and shared their knowledge!

You may not find a roll call -- you can start one, but no one may join. I don't know why AK cruises are often sparse on RC participation; no one ever joined mine last year (and I even listed all the Land-n-Sea numbers that were going to join or leave part way, still nada). Well, with eight of us we were our own group and you will have some numbers yourself! Sounds like your teen will be fine anyway.

I took your advice and started one :) will see if anyone jumped on board in the next few weeks.

We are very excited, it will be a great time away together.

We did two Alaska cruises on the Volendam and really enjoyed them. Nice ship and I like the size of her.

One thing - sailing on a Wed is great, as at most ports there will be few (if any) other ships in port while you are there (same for sail and disembarkation days in Vancouver).

We did two Alaska cruises on the Volendam and really enjoyed them. Nice ship and I like the size of her.

One thing - sailing on a Wed is great, as at most ports there will be few (if any) other ships in port while you are there (same for sail and disembarkation days in Vancouver).

That's great news, thanks!