Excursion in Stockholm - Which one to choose??

We are trying to decide between:

6 hrs - A Day in Stockholm: "From the baroque e streets of Old Town to Ostemalm, "see the old and New" Tour City Hall. Cross to the island of Djurgarden and visit Vasa Museum and then free time in Gamla Stan"

OR....

6 hrs - Stockholm - famous archipelago and Lunch which includes, " Scenic drive through the inner parts of the Stockholm Archipelago, experience Vaxholm. Continue across the Island of Rindo to reach Varmdo. (a summer vacation community. Lunch in Siggesta Gard and then visit community of Gustassberg

Has anyone experienced either of these excursions or do you have recommendations? Would love feedback.

Thank you!!:cool:

If you are open to your own excursion, we did two days in Stockholm on our own last month. It also depends on where your ship docks. We purchased a SL transport card at our pier in Stadsgarden as I needed to visit Lidingö Island. That allowed us unlimited rides using public transportation plus be able to travel at our own pace. Old Town is very walk-able on your own. We found a very nice restaurant down one of the narrow streets to have lunch. Djurgarden is easy to navigate as well.

Was in Stockholm in June. Did a private tour with SPB. Not the same as either itinerary that you described. I would not miss the Vasa museum if possible, best stop in Stockholm IMO

Thanks for the feedback, Armac, Desdichado62 and Heartgrove. We are only in Stockholm from 10am to 6pm and I'm not sure where the ship "docks".

Armac - I'm doing private tour with SPB for St. Petersburg (was less worried about missing the ship with private tour because we're in St.P for 2 days. Were you ever worried with them about missing boat? Would you mind sharing your Stockholm itinerary with me? Love the idea of private tours. I know we can see and learn so much more although the $$ do add up.

Was also considering SPB for Tallin private tour. Not sure if it's worth it?

Desdichado62 - when the "archipelago excursion mentions we will , "drive through countryside to experience Vaxholm. Continue across the Island of Rindo to reach Varmdo. (a summer vacation community. Lunch in Siggesta Gard and then visit community of Gustavsberg" Do you know if this is all just archipelago and nothing really that we wouldn't see/experience as we sail through. Know nothing about this area.

Thanks everybody!!!!

I thought it might be helpful for you to see the pictures I took of the Archipelago portion of the trip. Using the link below, if you look at the first several pictures, these were pictures I took in the morning, before we docked in Stockholm. I slept for most of the trip IN, as it was done in the early morning. In the middle of my pictures is my DIY sightseeing pics of Stockholm. Then at the end of the pictures, you'll see pictures from the ship as we sail back out into the Archipelago from Stockholm. As you'll see, you can see a lot of Swedish loveliness from the ship as you're moving through the waterway. Whether it's enough to satisfy your desire or not, I don't know.

If it were me, if you're going to book a tour, I'd do the first one and then just enjoy the Archipelago, as you sail in and out.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskpVzRiB

Meheart Cruising. Thank you for your kindness and for sharing your beautiful pictures. After looking at your pics, I agree, I think we will experience and learn more about Stockholm by either the "day in Stockholm" excursion with the ship or by customizing our itinerary rather than doing the Archipelago excursion. I'll see what Armac's itinerary was with SPB as well. Thanks for helping us make our choice. Your pics are lovely. We can't wait for our cruise.

Thanks for the feedback, Armac, Desdichado62 and Heartgrove. We are only in Stockholm from 10am to 6pm and I'm not sure where the ship "docks".

Armac - I'm doing private tour with SPB for St. Petersburg (was less worried about missing the ship with private tour because we're in St.P for 2 days. Were you ever worried with them about missing boat? Would you mind sharing your Stockholm itinerary with me? Love the idea of private tours. I know we can see and learn so much more although the $$ do add up.

Was also considering SPB for Tallin private tour. Not sure if it's worth it?

Desdichado62 - when the "archipelago excursion mentions we will , "drive through countryside to experience Vaxholm. Continue across the Island of Rindo to reach Varmdo. (a summer vacation community. Lunch in Siggesta Gard and then visit community of Gustavsberg" Do you know if this is all just archipelago and nothing really that we wouldn't see/experience as we sail through. Know nothing about this area.

Thanks everybody!!!!

We are doing a private tour in Stockholm with InsiderTour. They offer several and we are doing the Essential 5 Hour Stockholm tour which includes City Hall, Vasa Museum, walking tour in old town and panoramic bus tour. You can join us if you are there on 19/7!

The 6-hour City Tour ticks all the boxes for a short visit to Stockholm. If you are comfortable using public transportation and walking around, you could do this same sort of tour on your own using the Rick Steves Walking Tour of Stockholm that's in his guide, "Rick Steves Northern European Cruise Ports". Also, doing it on your own allows you to spend as much time in the Vasa Museum as you like. (I'm sure we were there longer than any guided tour would have allowed for.) That's how we visited Stockholm-in-a-Day on our stop there a couple of years ago.

Tallinn is easy to get around provided you don't have any mobility issues (it's hilly). Again, Rick Steves has a great walking tour in his guidebook. (We learned things using that walking tour that surprised our dinner partners. Them: "I wish our guide had pointed that out to us!")

You can identify where you are docking at here:

http://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/

My family easily traversed Stockholm via its excellent public transportation system independently, with a 3 year old in tow.

Please let us know where you are docking and what you are most interested in seeing, and people can help you more.

Thanks everybody!!!!

I think the excursion title is somewhat misleading since you hardly will experience any of the archipelago.

I think that excursion likely would follow this route https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Stockholm,+Sverige/Vaxholm,+Sverige/Rind%C3%B6+hamn,+Vaxholm,+Sverige/Gustavsberg,+Sverige/Stockholm,+Sverige/@59.3629476,18.2228312,11z/data=!4m32!4m31!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f763119640bcb:0xa80d27d3679d7766!2m2!1d18.0685808!2d59.3293235!1m5!1m1!1s0x465ef319667a1fc1:0xca12483bf0358351!2m2!1d18.3263804!2d59.4032968!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f871503a802db:0x1ee0274be426d977!2m2!1d18.4350078!2d59.3953419!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f80bbb0961b07:0xfcb29b838cccda27!2m2!1d18.3985281!2d59.314449!1m5!1m1!1s0x465f763119640bcb:0xa80d27d3679d7766!2m2!1d18.0685808!2d59.3293235!3e0

You will be a in minivan or something and probably won't see much of the archipelago.

Vaxholm is nice but Gustavsberg isn't anything special. The harbour area is somewhat nice and there is the porcelain factory museum.

The vast majority of the Stockholm archipelago isn't even accessible by road and only by boat.

The Stockholm archipelago is also very large and it would take weeks to visit all parts and islands.

If you're saver with a guided tour go for option 1, but like kitkat wrote Stockholm is easy done on your own.

Depending where you're ship berth, you can take even a boat to Djurgarden Island and visit the beautiful Vasa Museum

then take the tram or bus to the Center and check out the "Sergel" Square and walk from there to Gamla Stan, where the King's Palace, the Major church, the oldtown and the parliament is located, then either walk back to the ship or take another bus.

It's easy and for sure much cheaper than any tour.

We are doing a private tour in Stockholm with InsiderTour. They offer several and we are doing the Essential 5 Hour Stockholm tour which includes City Hall, Vasa Museum, walking tour in old town and panoramic bus tour. You can join us if you are there on 19/7!

That would have been great but we're there in August. I'd love to hear how your cruise/excursions were. Hope you'll post your experiences. :cool:

I think the excursion title is somewhat misleading since you hardly will experience any of the archipelago.

You will be a in minivan or something and probably won't see much of the archipelago.

Vaxholm is nice but Gustavsberg isn't anything special. The harbour area is somewhat nice and there is the porcelain factory museum.

The vast majority of the Stockholm archipelago isn't even accessible by road and only by boat.

The Stockholm archipelago is also very large and it would take weeks to visit all parts and islands.

Thanks for your help Desdichado62. You and others share similar opinion. We're going to pass on the excursion to Archipelago- I agree, description sounds better than what we would likely experience.

We just got back from a Baltic cruise. I would say don't miss the Vasa museum. Make sure to see the film they have in the museum that explains what happened plus they have guided tours which give you even more information. Was fascinating.

We just got back from a Baltic cruise. I would say don't miss the Vasa museum. Make sure to see the film they have in the museum that explains what happened plus they have guided tours which give you even more information. Was fascinating.

Hello vmarg,

Curious about currency in Latvia and Lithuania. Euro's?

We are scheduled on the Ultimate Baltic on RCI leaving on July 30th. I was able to get one of the aft cabins that you released.

The VASA museum is on my list. Sounds fascinating.

Thanks vmarq.. VASA definitely on our new agenda. Just trying to find an excursion that allows enough time to really enjoy it!

Any recommendations for Copenhagen. We are looking at 7 hours ship excursion that includes Dragor Village, local inn for lunch then Carlsberg Brewery and then we end the day in Nyhavn for a boat ride through canals of Christianshavn.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone taken a tour that does not include the Vasa museum. We are not interested in a museum about ships but all the tours seem to include it.

That is a big mistake. The Vasa museum isn't like any other museum about a ship. It is the world's finest

maritime museum and one of a kind museum in the world. A museum dedicated to a 400 year old wooden warship.

Many people have been of the same opinion as you but have later have their mind blown by the Vasa museum.

https://www.tripadvisor.se/Attraction_Review-g189852-d208277-Reviews-Vasa_Museum-Stockholm.html

If you don't do the Vasa museum, you will regret it. It is one of the few musts of a Baltic cruise.

Has anyone taken a tour that does not include the Vasa museum. We are not interested in a museum about ships but all the tours seem to include it.

Actually it is not a museum about ships in plural but simply about one ship, the Vasa. The story of how she went down, her ultimate recovery and the construction of this building to display her, as well as the ongoing restoration is fascinating. I have been to Stockholm twice and seen many of its sights but without doubt this is the #1 attraction. While you can easily fill a day with other things, Gamla Stan, the Nobel Museum, ABBA, etc, there is a reason why so many tours include it.

The Vasa museum is as said more then the ship itself. There are exhibitions about how life onboard was, who were the people

on the ship, how combat worked onboard, what kind of decorations the ship had and what they mean/what they were supposed to signal,

how the shipyard that built Vasa looked liked and worked. There is is also a exhibition about the women who is one way or another

had connections to Vasa.Finally there is also an living exhibition outdoors which is a garden where vegetables, herbs and

other food is grown. These are food that those who lived onboard ate and also food that people in Stockholm are during the time of Vasa.

https://www.vasamuseet.se/en/exhibitions

Hi, we are thinking of going to the Vasa museum under our own steam, but has anyone any idea of what time of day would be best? There are a few ships in port that day, so guessing it will be busy, anyone know what time most of the tours go to the Vasa? Thanks for any help anyone can give. :)