Going from the Koningsdam ... to this!!

debsjc

Thanks for all your supportive comments.

I should do a 'Live from the Eden thread' except i'm not sure I would be allowed to post it here, as it's a HAL forum :confused:

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to come back and post a little update, I loved my Croatian cruise on the MS Eden. The crew are great and work really hard, the boat has lots of nice outside space, the one chef does an excellent job in his tiny galley, and Croatia itself is stunning.

There are huge differences compared to a large ship like HAL, but I hope to do both types of cruises again in the future.

For me the advantages are ...

1- Docking right in the city centres, and the ease of getting on and off the boat quickly

2- Closeness to the sea, and views of the coast & islands whilst sailing

3- Stopping most days for a swim stop, and being able to swim right off the boat

4- The boat being small enough to know every other passenger by name, which creates a lovely friendly atmosphere

5- The timing of the port stops generally being from 2-3pm through to 7am, so you have the whole afternoon & evening to explore.

6- A very relaxing experience, no trying to find a table in the lido with hundreds of other people, and no loud music playing (except for 1 evening when there is a party),

Things some people may not like

1- Breakfast & lunch are provided on board with very little choice (although the food was good)

2- Stepping on and off the boat, and crossing other boats (as you do on river cruises) requires passengers to be mobile

3- The cabins are quite basic, with not much storage space, and no fridge or ice (but you do have a safe, and a hairdryer)

4- You have to be quite chilled to enjoy this type of trip, sometimes the arrival times are not confirmed by the port authorities until just before you arrive. Everything is quite laid back with arrangements.

This is a great thread. We live on a trawler, occasionally in the summer, and love the small boat experience. Of course, if I want fresh towels, I'd better keep up with the laundry!! And the meals are whatever I choose to cook....of course 5 star dining daily. We do love the roaming around...

I’ve sailed the Kdam in Caribbean and a similar small boat like the OP in Croatia. We loved the small boat - as described, it is much like a river boat cruise but with fewer passengers/choices. There was a walking tour in each port. We sailed from Dubrovnik to Zadar and throughly enjoyed it. We were lucky to have booked through a “one man band” tour lady here in the US. She organizes everything and accompanies the group, this includes most evening meals in the towns which you are not part of the ships offerings.

My adventure was on a two masted sail ship out of St Thomas US Virgin Islands, called the Harvey Gamage. It was over New Years '87 - '88. If memory serves there were 8-10 guests with the skipper, three deck hands & a cook. When I got on board & unpacked I discovered my camera had been stolen out of my luggage some where between Toronto & St Thomas. I bought a new one after my cruise at a store on the island, so no pic's of my holiday. Other hten that it was a great trip.

Allan