Considering Tokyo Half Day And Airport Drop Off

We'll be on the Celebrity's Transpacific, Bering Sea & Japan Cruise Leaving Sept 8 and are considering the Airport Drop Off for Sept 24th. It's scheduled for 9:30 and lists 5 1/2 hours. If it leaves the ship on time that would be arriving at 3PM NRT. Has anyone taken this tour. They have some shopping time included in the trip. We'd prefer the time at the airport instead of local Japanese shopping. What time does the ship disembark passengers and how would a taxi to the airport be instead of Celebrity's tour? Would we have too much time at the airport? Anyway we could go direct to the airport after the tour?

Ask in the relevant roll call. I'm on that cruise.

Ship arrives in Yokohama the morning before.

How much time at the airport? Depends on your class of travel. I'd give it at least 2 hrs (+ extra time for traffic delays) if you're not travelling in the front cabins or don't have airline status.

Tried relevant roll call, no response. We're flying Business and would prefer to get to the terminal by 2PM. We like the idea of the tour of Tokyo but didn't want a lot of free time at a shopping mall. It looks like the best choice is the airport drop-off since 11AM would be too much time at the airport. Thanks for your response.

Narita airport is a considerable distance from the Yokohama cruise port. A taxi would be very expensive. I don't know anything about the Celebrity tour and drop off.

On option would be for you to find a tour that could drop you off at Tokyo Station, and take the Narita Express, it is easy to roll on your luggage and goes directly to Narita.

Alternatively take the early airport transfer. Drop your luggage then take a local train for a look round Narita town. Temples, restaurants, a final taste of Japan! At the airport there are sometimes piano recitals. A pleasant way to pass the time till your flight.

See you on board!

Libby

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just one additional piece of information. Many times for a cruise tour and airport drop off, your luggage goes the airport in a separate vehicle while you are on the tour. We did this in Singapore. A number of passengers were very upset that their luggage wasn't on our tour bus. I wasn't bothered by this (um, it was Singapore! ;)). I wouldn't worry about Tokyo either, but you may feel differently. Just FYI.

In researching the 5 1/2 hour airport drop-off it looks as they drive you around Tokyo and give you more time shopping and then drive to the Airport. I like the choice of visiting Narita. If the luggage can be dropped off early that would be perfect. Thanks for the idea.

I recommend a short taxi ride from the Yokohama cruise terminal to Yokohama station and then the Narita Express train to the airport. Definitely the cheapest and fastest way to get there.

Cheaper, by about JPY 1,500 p.p. is the Limo bus from VCAT right by the main JR station.

Of course it's probably too late, but driving through tokyo in 3 hours (the other time is just getting to tokyo) is like trying to see New York city or London in 3 hours. If you can change your tickets, stay overnight in Tokyo and actually see, feel and walk around the city.

This advice really applies to many who take this type of tour around Rome or London or similar and think they are seeing the city. (yes, I realize that most any stop on a cruise is essentially a drive bye of that city).....but at the end (and beginning) of a cruise, spend one or two extra night(s) and actually see that city.

Too late to change tickets but we were there years ago and will have one full day before we leave the ship. I really wonder what the Tokyo sightseeing is before they take you to the airport. We'll see quite a bit the day before. They say it's 5 1/2 hours, leaves at 9:30 (questionable) and needs flights before 4:30. The time don't make sense since you need to be at the airport 2 hours (many say 3) before international.