My thoughts on Koningsdam fjords cruise

wbrumel

Hi wbrumel,

Thanks for your impressions, I will be on Koningsdam at the end of next month.

Some questions:

-Did you dine in MDR? Were you satisfied with the menus and the quality of food?

-Did you get sorbet as "dish in between" the courses during the formal nights? Princess does so.

-Did they offer petit fours after dinner?

-Did you get small snacks to the drinks at the bars, at least during cocktail hours?

-Is the bow also accessible for passengers, or just crew?

Thanks in advance. :)

I'm sorry that I can't be very helpful at all in answering these questions. We only ate one lunch in the MDR. It was fine .. nothing exceptional but not bad. Snacks were available during cocktail hours, but most times you had to ask the server. I believe the bow was accessible while transiting the fjords, but frankly, we loved our suite's balcony so just sat out there and watched the beauty go by.

Hi wbrumel,

Some questions:

-Did you dine in MDR? Were you satisfied with the menus and the quality of food?

-Did you get sorbet as "dish in between" the courses during the formal nights? Princess does so.

-Did you get small snacks to the drinks at the bars, at least during cocktail hours?

I might be able to help a little, we were on the Koningsdam last month.

We ate in the MDR 3 times, and the food was just OK for us, it was a bit hit and miss. We found a lot of things very salty. There were no sorbets or petit fours in the MDR.

I'm not sure about snacks in the bar, but the Royal Dutch Cafe does snacks all day, they are free, but you can buy beers or coffees there.

The bow on deck 5 was open for all the specific scenic cruising times, we were down there a lot and it gives a great view. There is also a hot tub out there.

Excellent review. I was on your cruise in a Neptune Suite down the hall. I basically agree with all your comments except for few personal preference differences. I wish I had brought wine aboard; what I got from the admirals package was truly mediocre. The weather was truly amazing, clear skies and warm temperature for that latitude.

I'm sorry that I can't be very helpful at all in answering these questions. We only ate one lunch in the MDR. It was fine .. nothing exceptional but not bad. Snacks were available during cocktail hours, but most times you had to ask the server. I believe the bow was accessible while transiting the fjords, but frankly, we loved our suite's balcony so just sat out there and watched the beauty go by.

Okay, thank you anyway for your effort in answering those things you can answer! :)

The weather was truly amazing, clear skies and warm temperature for that latitude.

Yes, we were very lucky. I had brought umbrellas, rain slickers, ponchos and was so happy to never unpack them!

I might be able to help a little, we were on the Koningsdam last month.

We ate in the MDR 3 times, and the food was just OK for us, it was a bit hit and miss. We found a lot of things very salty. There were no sorbets or petit fours in the MDR.

I'm not sure about snacks in the bar, but the Royal Dutch Cafe does snacks all day, they are free, but you can buy beers or coffees there.

The bow on deck 5 was open for all the specific scenic cruising times, we were down there a lot and it gives a great view. There is also a hot tub out there.

Thank you very much!! ☺

In a Blog of September 2016 i saw there's been some larger poll buffers/food events at the pool deck.

Same on recent cruises in 2017?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi wbrumel,

Some questions:

I was on the same cruise and can say a little about the MDR.

We ate in the the MDR several of the evening. We did anytime dining. if you don't have a reservation it could be up to a 30 minute wait. I will recommend getting a reservation beforehand if possible. Food was above average to good in my opinion. Dessert options were a bit lacking. Service was good but definitely understaffed at peak hours.

We are going a similar cruise on the Konigsdam in late August. A couple of questions:

1. That Ecar option looks like fun! We were going to do a bus tour through the same company that rents the ecars. In looking at the website description, it is not clear whether or not we would have time to do all of the itineraries listed or just one. Which one(s) did you do? Did you book in advance?

2. We have a decent amount of unboard credit, so I am trying to figure out the best nights to do specialty dining. When the ship cruises through the fjords, does it take the whole evening? We are cruising Hardangerfjord after leaving Eidfjord at 3, and are cruising Geirangerfjord after we leave Geiranger at 5. I would rather be looking out at the fjords rather than eating dinner, but we will have to eat at some point.

We are going a similar cruise on the Konigsdam in late August. A couple of questions:

1. That Ecar option looks like fun! We were going to do a bus tour through the same company that rents the ecars. In looking at the website description, it is not clear whether or not we would have time to do all of the itineraries listed or just one. Which one(s) did you do? Did you book in advance?

We booked directly through the company, http://emobgeiranger.no/en/, and paid in advance. They were very reliable although we did have to wait about 20 minutes, reservation notwithstanding. They were all booked, with no cars available until late afternoon if you did not have a reservation.

2. We have a decent amount of unboard credit, so I am trying to figure out the best nights to do specialty dining. When the ship cruises through the fjords, does it take the whole evening? We are cruising Hardangerfjord after leaving Eidfjord at 3, and are cruising Geirangerfjord after we leave Geiranger at 5. I would rather be looking out at the fjords rather than eating dinner, but we will have to eat at some point.

The trip through the fjords takes hours, so no problem. Also, if you eat at Canelleto, Tamarind, or PG, there are big windows that allow you to see out anyway during dinner (none in Sel de Mer). Remember, sundown can be as late as 11 pm, so you'll be having dinner without candlelight LOL. It actually makes for a different atmosphere in the restaurants, since they were all designed for dinner service at (dark) night.

hope this helps

Thanks for the review. We are thinking about the ecar however at 6'3" and DW at 5'7" I think we might be best to each get our own car. Your thoughts please?

Not necessary. It will be tight but we saw many tall folks do it and it will be more fun and less expensive to share. Enjoy!