Celebrity vs. HAL: Suite Amenities

pdxsteeler

Family of 4 -- 2 adults + 2 small children (now 2 and 4)

We took an Alaska cruise last year on Celebrity (Millennium) and stayed in a Sky Suite and loved it.

We are considering going on HAL this year and seeing if a neptune suite is comparable and worth it.

This is what I have discerned so far:

- HAL Suite is quite a bit larger than the Celebrity sky suite. Good for us as it got crowded with the crib for the little one and the fold out sofa bed for the other kid.

- Michaels vs. Neptune Lounge -- Big difference seems to be that Michaels was awesome for getting complimentary drinks all day (alcohol, specialty coffee drinks, etc). With that, we eschewed getting any beverage plan. HAL seems much skimpier in this regards.

- Luminae vs. ??? -- We did almost every meal at Luminae. Was a huge part of our enjoying the cruise given the attention they gave the kids, how patient the staff was with the kids and the fact that it was smaller and there were less people to annoy with the kids. I don't see anything comparable on HAL.

Any other key differences I am missing?

Thanks.

• Like 1

For what its worth, we used to be loyal Holland America fans until we tried Celebrity one time. We last sailed on HA 2 years ago. We have been in the Pinnacle Suite and Neptune Suites. We thought HA would be hard to beat. The Neptune Lounge is certainly nice but IMHO cannot compare to Michaels Club if you want adult liquid refreshment. The Neptune Lounge has food all day and nice coffee machine. They also have juices and iced teas throughout the day. In room meals is a nice perk and you used to be able to order from the main dining room. They also used to let Neptune Suite guests dine in the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast each morning. The concierges in the Neptune Lounge handle all your ship needs - basically like the guest relation desk but even better. Of course, no butler on HA but the Neptune Suite is larger than the Sky Suite. However, it is all one room - no separate bedroom. If you compare costs, I think you will find that a Celebrity Suite or higher sometimes is cheaper in cost than a Neptune Suite with better amenities. We decided Celebrity was best for us because we love the intimate Luminae (I have hearing problems and the large dining room on a ship makes it almost impossible for me to hear anything because of the noise). We usually ate most of our dinners in the Neptune Suite for that reason. There are a lot of differences in room and benefits and I am sure someone will be able to do a point by point. But, if you like having the services of a butler, special small dining venue for almost all meals, a dedicated lounge that is large enough to relax and get an adult beverage, then Celebrity may be the best fit. We love HA but it just does not compare, for us, with staying in a Celebrity Suite or higher. In fact, if you consider that the Neptune Suite is arguably equivalent to a Royal Suite, then Celebrity wins hands down. Free premium drink package, free unlimited internet, free speciality dining, free gelato (:D), separate bedroom, free sodas/beer/water in the mini-bar, etc. is not matched (unless HA has changed) by Holland America. But then again, HA has a quality product and we might sail again if the itinerary is right. Good luck with your decision.

I am happy to weigh in here, but will likely be able to give a better update after my August 20th sailing. First, a bit of background. I have sailed Celebrity only twice, both on the Mercury. Once in a Royal suite and once in a Penthouse suite. Thus, as you can tell, my information is very dated.

I am a very loyal HAL fan having sailed over 20 times in either Neptune suites or Pinnacle suites. First, I love the staff on HAL. They are so warm and caring and hardworking. The unlimited free laundry and dry cleaning in either suite is superb! In over 20 cruises I only had one issue with a blouse. They asked me what I paid for it and refunded my shipboard account with no questions asked. The Neptune lounge is, as others have stated, a nice place to enjoy snacks and juices, tea, etc. No free alcoholic drinks. There are two members of the concierge team to help with anything you need. The Pinnacle Grill is a suite perk for breakfast each morning. A lovely and relaxed environment where staff truly care, remember your preferences and serve an excellent breakfast with unlimited fresh squeezed OJ.

We only every dine in the specialty restaurants so I cannot comment on dinner in MDR. The cooked to order pizza and burgers around the pool are excellent for lunch with a fantastic salad bar! It was my go to lunch each day.

We loved having a butler on one of our two Celebrity cruises. We had a medical issue with my travel companion that required IV antibiotic infusions twice a day. He was wonderful and attentive and served many meals in our suite. On the other cruise (in the Penthouse Suite) he was not good. We have never found anything lacking without a butler on HAL. The concierge was happy to arrange in suite dining any way that we wanted it if we so desired.

So, now let's fast forward. Our last HAL cruise was in a Pinnacle Suite on the Eurodam in February. We are now booked in a Penthouse Suite on the Summit on August 20th. Very different real estate from a royal or Neptune suite. Also much larger outdoor space than the Pinnacle Suite. We also have unlimited specialty dining, the premium beverage package, a $300 OBC and unlimited internet access I believe.

This cruise was about $3,000 more than our last cruise in the Pinnacle Suite earlier this year. I will offer more insight upon my return, but I do hope that this has been helpful.

• Like 1

We recently cruised in a Neptune Suite on the Noordam, our first HAL cruise. The room was nice and we certainly liked the coffee/espresso machine in the room but other than that find the perks for suites very underwhelming next to Celebrity's. Having said that we are going on HAL again next year, but in a Signature Suite, just could not justify the almost double cost for the Neptune.

We love Celebrity's suite package and also love their Celebrity Suites.......and HAL has nothing that comes close to comparing to Luminae...

Having said all that, the difference in cost is quite significant, which is why we are looking at and sailing on other lines. But if cost was equal or even close to equal would we opt for Celebrity every time.

Edited by Gracie115
  • Like 1