Global vs. Mobile Entry

KatieBelle

Does anyone have any experience with the Mobile Entry App? Our friends used it within the last 6 weeks on a round trip to and from Panama, returning to Houston. Do we need both? We are doing a TA to London and will fly back from Zurich. Just wondering if the app will suffice?

Global Entry is better but more complicated to obtain as appointments can take some time to obtain (depending on location). Some credit cards cover the $100 application fee.

More airports have Global Entry kiosk (I believe). You need to find out what YOUR airports have - what would work best for YOUR trip.

We just got our Global Entry. We've used the mobile passport app before and it works great when all its working well. Twice when we came back, the site had issues and so we had to go through the long line. Once was in Miami!! The previous poster had given good advice to check your airports and see what works there. Also, Global Entry is very easy if you don't live in the SF Bay area or fat from a major city. Nowhere else is the interview schedule like it is here. if you live in Miami, you can get an interview within a couple of days of getting your conditional approval.

Plan far ahead to process your Global Entry application, no matter where you live. I live in Wisconsin and went through the Milwaukee office, where it took 2 months to get an interview.

True - that is the case for most airports.

We had a very long waiting time at San Francisco airport. Instead, as we had a trip to Detroit coming up to visit family, we just scheduled an appointment there a little after our arrival which was much easier to get and very convenient as we were going to be at the airport anyway. Saved us a trip to the airport just for that.

Just a possible way to get around some long waiting times.

Just a heads up on the interview process (my personal experience). If your background (back to the age of a teenager) is squeaky clean as my wife's, interview will just take a couple of minutes once you get in. If on the other hand, if you may had an issue or two when you were young and dumb like me, don't try to act like it never happen. Just be honest and account and explain if you got in trouble (some baby boomers like me got caught smoking pot a long time ago).

The officer still gave me my clearance but said if I wasn't honest about it he would have declined me. It's amazing the US holds records for that long ago but, it is what it is :)

Cheers,

John

Global Entry is available in far more ports then Mobile and if the Kiosks are down or crowded you go to the head of the line at the manual stations. I believe Mobile requires a selfie and form filled out within 4 hours of entry and you still have to show it to the CBP officer. Not sure how this works on a long international flight with no wifi and cell phone restrictions at immigration.

As far as the interview; call your local CBP office and ask when is a good time for an interview. We did it and told us just to walk in and you probably will be taken within an hour or so and they told us the best day ant time. No guarantee but we were interviewed immediately and out in less than 10 minutes. You have already been investigated and cleared so they are just confirming your identity. Just answer the questions honestly. Don't worry about telling them something they don't know since they don't care (unless it was a felony conviction).

We applied an paid for our Global Entry on May 1 and received authorization two weeks later. The earliest appointment for an interview is in December. We thought we were well ahead of the game and would have the pass for our trip in August, but it doesn't look like it. We check several times a day for cancellations, but our airport is too small to have lots of appointments and we live too far away to just go there on the odd chance we can get it done. We did try one day when we were close to the airport, but they weren't even doing interviews on that day (Saturday).

We applied an paid for our Global Entry on May 1 and received authorization two weeks later. The earliest appointment for an interview is in December. We thought we were well ahead of the game and would have the pass for our trip in August, but it doesn't look like it. We check several times a day for cancellations, but our airport is too small to have lots of appointments and we live too far away to just go there on the odd chance we can get it done. We did try one day when we were close to the airport, but they weren't even doing interviews on that day (Saturday).

If you need it by this August, call the local office and they will tell you when to come in. Your final approval will be sent to you via E-Mail a few minutes after the interview is completed and your card will arrive in the mail in about 5 work days. You don't need the card for global entry unless the machines are down. They might ask for some documentation to prove you need an expedited appointment.

Don't forget to add your known traveler number to your airline profile as soon as you are approved. If you don't you may not get TSA Pre Check even if you were getting it in the past.

If you need it by this August, call the local office and they will tell you when to come in. Your final approval will be sent to you via E-Mail a few minutes after the interview is completed and your card will arrive in the mail in about 5 work days. You don't need the card for global entry unless the machines are down. They might ask for some documentation to prove you need an expedited appointment.

Don't forget to add your known traveler number to your airline profile as soon as you are approved. If you don't you may not get TSA Pre Check even if you were getting it in the past.[/

Thanks for that last nugget.

As for all the other remarks and suggestions, we will likely go with the app. Due to other circumstances this will probably be our last overseas trip. Since this cruise will be a trans-Atlantic, we only have the return flight into Chicago. Will take the chance on the app.

As for all the other remarks and suggestions, we will likely go with the app. Due to other circumstances this will probably be our last overseas trip. Since this cruise will be a trans-Atlantic, we only have the return flight into Chicago. Will take the chance on the app.

If you are connecting at ORD, make sure you have at least 2+ hours (or more) for connection.

It was a horrendous line at ORD immigration that made us get GE in the first place (and we never looked back).

I am not sure if you get a "known traveler number" with the app - you get it with GE. KTN (for TSA pre-check) is for domestic flights only.

Plan far ahead to process your Global Entry application, no matter where you live. I live in Wisconsin and went through the Milwaukee office, where it took 2 months to get an interview.

Interviews at SFO right now are being scheduled for December.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't forget to add your known traveler number to your airline profile as soon as you are approved. If you don't you may not get TSA Pre Check even if you were getting it in the past.

I called the local office (SLC) yesterday and was told that there was nothing they could do. They are understaffed and there is a LONG list of people trying to get Mobile Entry. They only process them for two hours a day Monday through Friday. Oh well.

I called the local office (SLC) yesterday and was told that there was nothing they could do. They are understaffed and there is a LONG list of people trying to get Mobile Entry. They only process them for two hours a day Monday through Friday. Oh well.

If you are trying to get GE for just one upcoming trip then it makes no sense. If, however, you plan to travel more extensively in the future, then you should just go ahead and make the appointment - whenever it is available - and then enjoy the benefits of GE for years to come in your future travels

I've only used the Mobile App once, flying in to Newark, and it worked very well. We were #2 in the line and through in no time at all. I can see where if there is a glitch that would be frustrating.

To answer a question raised above: Since the entry form is only valid for a short time, you cannot fill it in before takeoff from Europe.You can fill in the details of your entry form while you are still flying in and on "airplane mode". Then as soon as you land, while taxying in, activate your cell and "send" the form to CBP. I received my acknowledgement within a minute or so, before arriving at the gate.

The CBP guys at immigration and then at customs were very good at explaining how it all worked to this first-timer.

If you are trying to get GE for just one upcoming trip then it makes no sense. If, however, you plan to travel more extensively in the future, then you should just go ahead and make the appointment - whenever it is available - and then enjoy the benefits of GE for years to come in your future travels

No, not for one trip. We currently have deposits on five trips that we can use the GE for. The one in August is just the closest.

I think you mean "Global" Entry. "Mobile Entry" is a cell phone app with no interview and limited usefulness.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, not for one trip. We currently have deposits on five trips that we can use the GE for. The one in August is just the closest.

In that case, if it were me, i would go ahead and make the appointment.