Using Delta Skymiles Credit Card with EZ Air for Free Checked Luggage

AryMay

We have Delta flights reserved for our upcoming cruise in March 2018 using the EZ Air program. Recently we got a Delta Skymiles credit card and one of the benefits is the first checked bag is free when flights are booked with the credit card. For the two of us that would be a savings of $100 for a round trip flight.

I just got off the phone with a Princess representative who said that since Princess would be paying Delta on our behalf, we couldn't take advantage of the free checked bags. She suggested that we could get a print-out of the Princess charges showing we used the Delta credit card and "maybe" Delta would not charge us the fee.

Since the representative seemed pretty unsure about this, I just wondered if anyone else has been able to take advantage of this credit card benefit?

Since booking our flights, the price has really jumped so it isn't going to pay me to book directly with Delta (unless the price drops between now and our final cruise payment.)

We hoped to be able to get the fee waived since we used our United card to pay for the entire trip including EZ Air booked through Princess.

We ended up paying the fee because we did not book and pay for the air directly with United.

It is always worth a try. Maybe Delta handles it differently. Expect to pay the luggage fee.

Last year we booked EZair and we flew Delta on the outbound flight. We've had the Delta AMEX for a very long time.

I thought we would have to pay the checked bag fee, but when we checked in online the day before, it showed 1 bag free. Don't know if it was because they have the card on file as the default payment or not. I was happy.

I was further surprised because we had paid for the cruise including air with our Discover card.

It may have been a fluke but we didn't question it. According to their rules we should have been charged.

Thanks to those who have responded. I will follow up on my own question...

I called Delta (and had to wait over an hour for a call back) but the representative I talked to said they would waive the fees since we have the credit card. He made a note of our conversation and said if they tried to charge us the fee when we checked our bags just to tell them to check the documentation on our reservation.

I asked if it was necessary for us to use the Delta credit card to pay for our EZ Air reservations and he said no...but they would "like" us to. ;)

Knowing this was a relief since the air prices are SO high for March. I have been watching flights for a HAL cruise in October and they are half as much for the same flight going from MSP to FLL!

I am glad we were able to lock in our price with EZ Air, but I wiill continue to monitor fares and rebook if the price drops. We have until January before we have to pay.

We hoped to be able to get the fee waived since we used our United card to pay for the entire trip including EZ Air booked through Princess.

We ended up paying the fee because we did not book and pay for the air directly with United.

It is always worth a try. Maybe Delta handles it differently. Expect to pay the luggage fee.

We have used our Chase United Club Card (visa) several times booking the cruise and ez air. We have always had our first 2 bags covered for free. United has a website/email address that ends in /refunds that you can submit your paperwork to get fees reimbursed in case they charge you. We have never had an issues having bags covered or the fees refunded.

With the United card you have to charge the entire ticket/cruise etc to your card to qualify. Paying Princess with the card for the cruise/ez air has worked out fine for us.

Interesting thread. I agree with others in that with the Delta card, I don't think you actually have to book using the card as it goes by your Frequent Flyer number. You would however, lose the double miles that you get by booking directly with Delta and paying with the card. Something else to consider when using EZ Air..... :confused:

• Like 1

Your SkyMiles account gets flagged for Amex benefits if you have Amex card. So it does not matter at all who/how airfare was booked, as long as your SkyMiles number is attached, you will get all benefits.

What you did miss out is extra miles, even if you paid for flight with Amex.

Interesting thread. I agree with others in that with the Delta card, I don't think you actually have to book using the card as it goes by your Frequent Flyer number. You would however, lose the double miles that you get by booking directly with Delta and paying with the card. Something else to consider when using EZ Air..... :confused:

Thanks...that is something to consider.

We are new to using airline miles so I didn't even realize we would get double miles by using the card.

• 3 weeks later...
Your SkyMiles account gets flagged for Amex benefits if you have Amex card. So it does not matter at all who/how airfare was booked, as long as your SkyMiles number is attached, you will get all benefits.

What you did miss out is extra miles, even if you paid for flight with Amex.

On my last cruise (Feb 2017) I booked Delta flights through Princess EZ Air and paid at final payment with a credit card other than the Delta card which gives me free checked bags. As “Meanee” stated, we still got the free checked bags because our Skymiles numbers are connected to the Amex Delta card.

I can't respond directly regarding Delta, but with a United credit card you do not get free baggage if you book with EZ Air, Expedia or any other third party. I would read the fine print of your credit card contract. Your answer is probably there.

I can't respond directly regarding Delta, but with a United credit card you do not get free baggage if you book with EZ Air, Expedia or any other third party. I would read the fine print of your credit card contract. Your answer is probably there.

Was just looking at EZ Air for our May 2018 flight. Thanks for the heads up.