Canada & New England port advice

LaraTiara

Welcoming CC port authorities here!

Below are the excursion ports, aside from Brooklyn, on the 7-day RT NYC on Regal.

Any advice from fellow cruisers who have rented a car - or for that matter those who could envision renting a car in these ports -

Newport RI

Boston

Bar Harbor

Saint John

Halifax

We wonder if navigating our own "autumn color tours" might be feasible, rather than booking tours. We have rented cars on port days abroad, why not New England.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We rented a car a few years ago in Halifax. The agency (Avis??) picked me up at the port, took me to their office. At the end of the day I returned the car to the office and they drove me back.

We went to Peggy's Cove Lighthouse and to the cemetery for those who dies on the Titanic.

Below are the excursion ports, aside from Brooklyn, on the 7-day RT NYC on Regal.

Any advice from fellow cruisers who have rented a car - or for that matter those who could envision renting a car in these ports -

Newport RI

Boston

Bar Harbor

Saint John

Halifax

We wonder if navigating our own "autumn color tours" might be feasible, rather than booking tours. We have rented cars on port days abroad, why not New England.

Thanks.

Port highlights and comments

Newport – Mansion tours and downtown walk around. Purchase mansion tour tickets in advance on line. This is a tender port. Car probably not required if you use Uber.

Boston – Freedom Trail walk. Again no car required.

Bar Harbor – Take a look at the NPS FAQ’s https://www.nps.gov/acad/faqs.htm

You can drive the loop road and see the most famous sites. If you have extra time visit NE Harbor. Downtown Bar Harbor is also nice and right at the tender dock.This is also a tender port.

Halifax – The waterfront area, boardwalk, is nice. If you want to visit Peggy’s Cove you will require a car. A car is also required if you want to see the Minus Basin tidal bore. This is about a 90 min drive one way. Check the tidal charts for the day you will be there.

St. John’s – Small town area near the pier. I don’t have any further information

Have you checked with your roll call.? Probably there are trips being arranged.

We did a private tour to Peggy's cove in Halifax. Stopped at a syrup place and a few other highlights. Nice to cater it to your needs.

In Saint John I have been both ways - north and south along the coast. I would go north if the tides are cooperating and will be out so you can walk out onto the beach. If not, then go south to Saint Andrews. Either way it is very easy to rent a car.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Look at Tomsportguides.com. He has info on all of the Canadian and New England ports with driving guides for Canada. The best color tour we have done is from Sydney along the Cabot Trail. Color is much better if you go inland in October. Color seems best in early October - lots of maples at that time. Except for Boston, most of the New England ports are very convenient to the ship. Hertz is across the street in Halifax and there is a car rental about a block from the ship in St. John. Enjoy and please plan to have some chowder.

Newport RI

Boston

Bar Harbor

Saint John

Halifax

Thanks.

We did a r/t NY tour in 2012 and here is what we do and this year we are doing the 11 day Quebec to Ny so i added what we are doing in the ports that are on this years cruise as well.

Newport RI-we took local bus (stop was about 1 block to the left of tender drop off) to the start of the cliff walk and walked along seeing the back of the Mansions and yards, then came in and saw some from the front....it was awesome.

Boston-we took a local HOHO bus and got off at sites we wanted to see like Cheers, Newbury St etc. this year we are taking the ships bus to Boston proper and doing our own walking food tour of places we found.

Bar Harbor-we did a local tour that took us up Acadia Park and up to top of Cadillac mtn, this time doing a whale tour and wandering on our own

Saint John-did a hoho that took us to Reversing falls..ehh tides were not right and then we did a walking tour on our own...doing same thing this year minus the falls

Halifax-took a tour to Peggy's cove and went to maritime museum as it was 100 year anniv for Titanic when we went, this year we are walking up to a neat park we found, the citadel and then walk along the waterfront.