Unlimited Photo package purchased Onboard vs In Advance

Shadow9612

Is it cheaper to purchase an unlimited photo package in advance vs onboard.

Current unlimited photo package in advance for 11 day reflection cruise is $200.

Does anybody know current onboard pricing or sales onboard? Also, Captain Club discounts can be applied to photo packages, but only onboard?

Whether or not you get the best price by purchasing in advance, depends on when you purchase the package. In our experience and that of the Roll Calls we have participated in, you get the best price if you purchase the package as soon as it goes on sale. (Unfortunately, there is no fixed date this happens.) It appears that, as soon as they have sold a number of packages, the advanced price increases.

However, in my experience, although there are often special offers on board (including Captain's Club discounts), I have never seen a price lower than we have paid in advance.

The length of cruise appears to have little relevance to the price. Our cheapest photo package was for the longest cruise (17 days). The price appears to be more related to number of ports (more photo opportunities) and cruise date (prices for Holiday cruises appear higher).

Also remember that on some Mediterranean itineraries where the ship doesn't leave the EU, there will be a hefty VAT added if you wait until you are on the ship to make the purchase. That isn't the case on other itineraries, but it is something to factor in if you are going to the Mediterranean.

Also remember that on some Mediterranean itineraries where the ship doesn't leave the EU, there will be a hefty VAT added if you wait until you are on the ship to make the purchase. That isn't the case on other itineraries, but it is something to factor in if you are going to the Mediterranean.

Good point I hadn't known. Thank you!

After a bit of research, I also found out that this can now be done in advance through the cruise planner, which means you can still purchase photo packages in advance to get the lower rate, AND use OBC if you have any available.

• 1 month later...

I'm confirming post-cruise that the prices offered on board for the unlimited photo package were never lower than the pre-cruise purchase option... So I'll be going that route again in the future if I want the package...

The only thing I can't confirm is if his is always the case (as per Project_gal's comment above about depending when you buy pre-cruise.... So, when you book a cruise, AND you want the photo package, I'd keep my eye out for when it becomes available pre-cruise, and snatch it...